• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hip Drop Tackle

Banning clothes line tackles was a big thing when it was introduced. Somehow we got through that. Some fans thought face protectors on helmets would cause more injuries. We got through that too. The forward pass was thought to sissify the game. We got through that too.

:Sarcastic:As far as I'm concerned, the game was seriously compromised when players stopped losing teeth.

1200x0.jpg

All joking aside (and some of this is hilarious), I have former teammates and friends who can’t really walk or move well any more, have killed themselves or thought about killing themselves (CTE), take too many drugs or drink too much, and generally are in constant pain/can’t sleep. All because they loved playing football. So I’m all for better helmets and equipment generally, better tackling and blocking technique, and consistently-enforced rules and penalties. But the game is about being physical and delivering violent blows. It’s 100% part of the game. So it’s a balance between keeping the game what makes it great without sacrificing all the players, now or later as they age. Guys get bigger and faster every year. Scary bigger and faster. It’s just physics, right? And all of this also needs to be balanced with the ever-increasing demand to review plays to get them right versus the desire to not interrupt the flow of the game. Those are a lot of conflicting interests to settle on the right compromise.

All joking aside (and some of this is hilarious), I have former teammates and friends who can’t really walk or move well any more, have killed themselves or thought about killing themselves (CTE), take too many drugs or drink too much, and generally are in constant pain/can’t sleep. All because they loved playing football. So I’m all for better helmets and equipment generally, better tackling and blocking technique, and consistently-enforced rules and penalties. But the game is about being physical and delivering violent blows. It’s 100% part of the game. So it’s a balance between keeping the game what makes it great without sacrificing all the players, now or later as they age. Guys get bigger and faster every year. Scary bigger and faster. It’s just physics, right? And all of this also needs to be balanced with the ever-increasing demand to review plays to get them right versus the desire to not interrupt the flow of the game. Those are a lot of conflicting interests to settle on the right compromise.
Want to lessen injuries, remove the helmet and pads. They are very hard and lead people to do stupid things with their bodies because they feel protected.

Being physical and delivering violent blows was one of the reasons I played the game.

Want to lessen injuries, remove the helmet and pads. They are very hard and lead people to do stupid things with their bodies because they feel protected.
Shhhhh, it could be coming. I’ll be interested to see, where the line will be drawn with the fans? How much are they gonna take before the ratings fall?

Shhhhh, it could be coming. I’ll be interested to see, where the line will be drawn with the fans? How much are they gonna take before the ratings fall?
Ratings are up this year, so I don't think we're going to see a significant drop. Maybe some if we're at the peak, but I don't see it falling much.

I'm not a betting man but I think ratings will continue to increase in the NFL, this rule notwithstanding. Particularly now that gambling has become a partner, those watching don't even need to enjoy the game itself - It's all about the spreads and prop bets.

If we want to latch on to something that ultimately will reduce the TV ratings, wait until the first couple of serious gambling scandals followed by some related serious developments in the betting public.

None of that will change the rules of the game, however.

Ratings are up this year, so I don't think we're going to see a significant drop. Maybe some if we're at the peak, but I don't see it falling much.
No, not yet, but with some of these ridiculous rules, at some point, fans will be like, this isn’t football anymore. It’s more sisified every year. I mean, football is a collision sport. People will get injured. It’s not new. Maybe they should think about that before paying any one player, the money thy do? Don’t change the rules of the game because they were stupid enough to pay these bums ridiculous amounts of money. They’d all do it for a fraction, truth be told.

There are more players adversely affected by this new rule (that is, all defensive players) than are positively affected by this rule (RBs and WRs).
but the nature and magnitude of the adverse effect is extremely different. 15 yd penalty vs season-ending injury.

20-25X injury rate based on analysis of 20000 tackles
230 tackles with hip drop swivel last season resulted in 15 players missing time.

Pretty strong stats to justify a ban. Kind of odd that the NFLPA opposed, given a 6.5% chance of losing income or your career each time you are tackled that way.

Owners were definitely ’asking’ for this rule change. when high profile offensive players go down, it really impacts the game.. (Pollard Mahomes 2023, Andrews, Hill 2024)

I just think it is going to be hard to legislate in-game. I also feel like you are running out of ways to tackle someone. Can't hit them high, can't hit them low, and now can't do this.

High profile offensive players are going to go down in football as long as it is tackle. Contact is going to cause injuries. Yes, there are some unsafe things that shouldn't be in the game, but if you eliminate everything that can cause an injury, you are left with flag football.

Not saying this shouldn't be outlawed. I just feel for defenders who already have a very difficult job that just got harder.

There will be almost no practical way to sack a QB. Can't hit them high. Can't hit them low. Can't tackle them from behind when they run away.

Watch the video in post 18. If those tackles aren't made, the outcome of those games change.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back