• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Further proof HS rankings are crap

I think we all love DR because he is our QB but I would have to say his YPG is kind of pedestrian. His TD to Int ratio is amazing. He needs to develop still. But yes, recruiting ratings have their flaws.
Heres my problem with anyone talking about DRs passing yardage.
We have to make comparisons. Julian Sayin 2370 yds in one more game with 24 tds and one int.
Yet he was catapulted over DR. He is only 6'1½".
He had a very high comp rate, but watching film it was obvious he played in Cali.

Last edited:

The point is, a person shouldn't drop in rankings just because they selected a specific school. Where that school is in respect to the top 25 is irrelevant, it is the player being graded, not the school.
You’re preaching to the choir. In the end, who gives a damn? Go win, that’s it. It’s a minuscule thing to be butt hurt about IMO. Win some damn ball games and change the image of Nebraska, which right now, is viewed as a losing program.

Which is more than fair IMO. But dropping after he goes from GA to NE isn't the same as what you're stating.
It’s kinda always been this way, since the star system debuted. Since then, Nebraska has played some terrible football. Yes, it’s bull stuff, but everyone knows that. To me, it says more about the clowns doing it.

He looks at stars too, but has better judgement and insight of getting those 'other' guys.
That is what I mean. Its more than just stars. Its height, weight, profile, speed, frame, instict, and then he goes into: but can he do this or that?

He just looks at a kid differently than most recruiters do. And thats why I think he's had such good success finding other guys.

That is what I mean. Its more than just stars. Its height, weight, profile, speed, frame, instict, and then he goes into: but can he do this or that?

He just looks at a kid differently than most recruiters do. And thats why I think he's had such good success finding other guys.
One thing thats way overlooked as to what he's looking for is multi sport. But inside of that fits many things, using different muscles, different skills, but being this is all only my opinion, above all of that, he wants kids who are competitors who want to compete, love what they do.

It does matter though for the future. Kids look at who's hyped up and want to play with them. It attracts other good players.
So, if I understand what you are saying, kids may look at this situation and conclude they don’t want to come to Nebraska because DR was downgraded from a 5 star to a 4 star without taking a snap? And this is going to be true in 2025 even if DR lives up to his hype? I’m just not seeing it.

If DR performs at 4-5 star level, we are going to be fine.

It seems to me this is just more of the Nebraska fans acting like we are somehow getting screwed in player evaluations. If we get a high ranking Junior and he drops after coming here it’s because we get no respect. If a 3 star doesn’t move up because he signed at Nebraska it’s because we don’t get respect but. We are somehow finding the diamonds in the rough that the evaluations aren’t capturing because they came to Nebraska. Yet for the last 9 years our classes have averaged top 30 and we are performing in the 50s and 60s. We have nothing to whine about. We are told every recruit is a great get.
Agree, except it’s more like top 25 classes, and playing like your 70-80. You were generous with the 50-60. Lol.

Let’s be truthful. It’s not just Rhule. It’s every coach. A players ranking measurements aren’t the same as a coaches measurements. Nor are all coaches measurements the same.
Recruiting services aren’t trying to measure “fit”. They base it almost entirely off results.
Coaches look at their results, measurements and then the attitudes looking for that recruit who has growth potential and fits their model.

So, if I understand what you are saying, kids may look at this situation and conclude they don’t want to come to Nebraska because DR was downgraded from a 5 star to a 4 star without taking a snap? And this is going to be true in 2025 even if DR lives up to his hype? I’m just not seeing it.

If DR performs at 4-5 star level, we are going to be fine.
I'm saying kids follow other highly rated kids.

You’re preaching to the choir. In the end, who gives a damn? Go win, that’s it. It’s a minuscule thing to be butt hurt about IMO. Win some damn ball games and change the image of Nebraska, which right now, is viewed as a losing program.

I do agree that at the end of the day, this doesn't matter at all.

It does highlight a bias that fans and media folks argue about all the time and is worthy of discussion.

Reverse the flip, Raiola leaves Nebraska for Georgia and I guarantee his ranking doesn't go down. Since the 'rankings' are supposed to be about the players and their perceived abilities, where they sign should not matter at all....but it does.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back