• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Donovan Raiola To Be Retained As OL Coach

C

Departing from Duval was a given. Most HC’s have their own guys.

On the ‘Broad Brush’ comment, I’m still confused as to how everyone thinks they know what we’re doing in S&C to argue that it’s wrong. Besides losing and fat offensive lineman, where is the information coming from.

For the record, I disagreed with the staff trying to cram 50lbs on Wildeman, and was right. I, and many others, disagreed with trying to out 50 lbs on Jurgens and we were all NFL level wrong.

I still say too many are assigning blame to S&C that may only partially belong there.
The proof in the pudding is the performance on the field. Watch the OTs lateral movement in 2020 … poor at best … two years later 2022 and it might be worse, certainly isn’t better.

Our best linemen during the SF era was a converted TE and a transfer (Nouili). Re ruit8ng has been solid (from a star rating perspective) AND from the perspective of which other programs wanted them.

The size of the salary pool is more like a benefits package for Matt Rhule than it is mandate to hire the best available coaches.

No reasonable person can argue that Raiola is anywhere near the best available OL coach that can be had for a half-million dollars per year.

The explanation for why he was retained is probably more about Rhule's coaching tree. His OL at Temple and Baylor is literally dead and his OL at Carolina is a career NFL guy who never coached with MR previously.
Both Rhule and Satterfield have both coached OL before, I expect Rhule will be heavily involved with the OL. Rhule wants coaches he can develop to fit his system not guys set in their ways

I've heard numerous times that Nebraska needed to stop training the athleticism out our athletes.

I'm not sure if this was an indictment and consequence of our SC or if it is even true.

I would prefer to enhance our athletes athleticism.

Both Rhule and Satterfield have both coached OL before, I expect Rhule will be heavily involved with the OL. Rhule wants coaches he can develop to fit his system not guys set in their ways

I think he primarily wants guys who he's worked with before and who know his style and expectations.....and it just so happens that he doesn't have an OLC on his coaching tree.....well, at least one who is alive.

Last edited:

I think he primarily wants guys who he's worked with before and who know his style and expectations.....and it just so happens that he doesn't have an OLC on his coaching tree.....well, at least one who is alive.
Guys he’s worked with and developed to coach his style and system. He interviewed multiple candidates for OL and likes Raiola’s potential.

To perform well in a measurable contest of speed or strength doesn't necessarily make one a better offensive tackle. But that is one of the tools in the combine that athletes train for, with trainers beyond normal S&C guys
I've always been curious to know the one lift max bench press compared to the maximum number of bench presses at 225 correlation.

It’s possible to achieve both things you’re talking about. And yes, even if he was a Mediocre hire/coach, it is worth it. He’s literally the number one player in the nation and is a quarterback. In the sports world we call that a game-changer. A quarterback of that caliber improves a heck of a lot more than just pass efficiency. He’s a motivator and brings the team together, including the offensive line, not to mention the recruits that attracts from peer recruiting. Talent over coaching wins every time, remember that.
Remember this - no matter how good your QB is, if you have a horrible OL he'll struggle. Again, Rhule must have seen something he liked in DR or he wouldn't be retained. Anyone that would retain a subpar position coach to bring in one player is an idiot. If a player doesn't live up to the hype or jumps ship, you're stuck with the position coach.

Surprises keep this board interesting. Go look at the threads on “most likely to be retained.”Joseph (pre arrest); Busch; Fischer; Applewhite; Bechton; Ruud all had their strong defenders on the board. All are gone. No support for DR. Waiting for the first post claiming they predicted it would be DR.
I predicted that

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back