• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Donovan Raiola To Be Retained As OL Coach

The size of the salary pool is more like a benefits package for Matt Rhule than it is mandate to hire the best available coaches.

No reasonable person can argue that Raiola is anywhere near the best available OL coach that can be had for a half-million dollars per year.

The explanation for why he was retained is probably more about Rhule's coaching tree. His OL at Temple and Baylor is literally dead and his OL at Carolina is a career NFL guy who never coached with MR previously.

C

Departing from Duval was a given. Most HC’s have their own guys.

On the ‘Broad Brush’ comment, I’m still confused as to how everyone thinks they know what we’re doing in S&C to argue that it’s wrong. Besides losing and fat offensive lineman, where is the information coming from.

For the record, I disagreed with the staff trying to cram 50lbs on Wildeman, and was right. I, and many others, disagreed with trying to out 50 lbs on Jurgens and we were all NFL level wrong.

I still say too many are assigning blame to S&C that may only partially belong there.
The information comes from the results on the field. Nebraska gets pushed around by teams like Georgia Southern now. Watch the tape. 1995 Nebraska would have embarrassed a team like that, not only with talent, but the physical aspect would have been a gap wider than the Grand Canyon.

And I don’t get the Jurgens comment- he is highly regarded and is likely staring a ten plus year NFL career right in the face because he was moved to center, are you saying he shouldn’t have been or were they trying to add an additional 50 pounds to his frame (making him play at 340)? His move to center will make him millions.

And I don’t agree that other positions have benefited from S&C at Nebraska over the last five years. I simply don’t see it. Look at some of the linemen who were getting shoved around at Nebraska who are now starting in the league (Gates, Farniok, etc) they obviously are benefiting from an NFL strength regimen. Coaching obviously matters too.

S&C changes for all position groups in combine prep.

It’s a beauty contest, versus getting them ready to function in their role on the field.
Ever wonder why so many draft eligible players go outside their schools and pay big $$$ to train with other S&C people for the combine? There is a big reason for that, and it isn’t some NCAA rule.

Reactions: SSM
The information comes from the results on the field. Nebraska gets pushed around by teams like Georgia Southern now. Watch the tape. 1995 Nebraska would have embarrassed a team like that, not only with talent, but the physical aspect would have been a gap wider than the Grand Canyon.

And I don’t get the Jurgens comment- he is highly regarded and is likely staring a ten plus year NFL career right in the face because he was moved to center, are you saying he shouldn’t have been or were they trying to add an additional 50 pounds to his frame (making him play at 340)? His move to center will make him millions.

And I don’t agree that other positions have benefited from S&C at Nebraska over the last five years. I simply don’t see it. Look at some of the linemen who were getting shoved around at Nebraska who are now starting in the league (Gates, Farniok, etc) they obviously are benefiting from an NFL strength regimen. Coaching obviously matters too.

You’re conflating things and making leaps in logic that aren’t accurate.

Yeah I wish I knew more about the differences between how the NFL approaches s&c and how our philosophy has been if any different. We have have a bunch of olinemen that were about average here that have gone on to play in the NFL.

Coaching has left a gap between those self starters blessed with athleticism and good players not progressing.
Bump both up and things get better

Just stop before their heads actually grow.
What do you mean?

1670445832727.png

Hoping we get more athletic lineman...guys that can run like a TE, but are big and strong enough to play the Oline. We often don't think of linemen as athletic. But the successful teams out there have linemen that can move.
Quite frankly, that is exactly what we recruited. Lean bodied big men who were multi-sport athletes (track, wrestling, basketball). At one point, these guys WERE able to move. The failure of our line rests solely on the previous staff.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back