• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Donovan Raiola To Be Retained As OL Coach

The proof in the pudding is the performance on the field. Watch the OTs lateral movement in 2020 … poor at best … two years later 2022 and it might be worse, certainly isn’t better.

Our best linemen during the SF era was a converted TE and a transfer (Nouili). Re ruit8ng has been solid (from a star rating perspective) AND from the perspective of which other programs wanted them.
I’ve looked for the proof in the pudding all my life and only found clumps

Remember this - no matter how good your QB is, if you have a horrible OL he'll struggle. Again, Rhule must have seen something he liked in DR or he wouldn't be retained. Anyone that would retain a subpar position coach to bring in one player is an idiot. If a player doesn't live up to the hype or jumps ship, you're stuck with the position coach.

Rhule can fire DR at anytime, he is not stuck with him.

C

Remember this - no matter how good your QB is, if you have a horrible OL he'll struggle. Again, Rhule must have seen something he liked in DR or he wouldn't be retained. Anyone that would retain a subpar position coach to bring in one player is an idiot. If a player doesn't live up to the hype or jumps ship, you're stuck with the position coach.
You should continue that mindset, I guess it’s worked pretty well in the last 20 years.

We should have brought in Deion

He is fully staffed

I’m in a good mood today

If he retains him of course he has his reasons, but he's speculating. Maybe it was injuries, poor S&C, change of scheme, etc, etc, but the bottom line is DR hasn't shown he can do it. When it's an option to hire a proven P5 OL coach why gamble and hope something happens? Is the upside really greater than the downside? I like the player development approach, but coach development out of the gate not so much.

Quite frankly, that is exactly what we recruited. Lean bodied big men who were multi-sport athletes (track, wrestling, basketball). At one point, these guys WERE able to move. The failure of our line rests solely on the previous staff.
Dr Rob pointed it out for all to see, some called it redundant

Don’t care for this move at all. I think we needed a clean break and a fresh start. I don’t think this was entirely DR’s fault this year, but I can’t imagine any scenario where he escape’s total responsibility either. The good news is there are a few other staff members (including Rhule) who have experience in line play coaching. Maybe Rhule took this into consideration and liked the fact that he can teach NFL technique? Hopefully he can recruit and develop good connections and relationships at the collegiate level.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back