• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Donovan Raiola To Be Retained As OL Coach

You’re conflating things and making leaps in logic that aren’t accurate.
I’m pretty sure you frequently answer posts like this, but I’ll bite anyway.

Since I am truly interested in figuring out just what the hell you were talking about, I’ll ask again- what was your point about Jurgens? I’m actually not sure so I’m seriously asking. And instead of replying with some gobbledy gook about my leaping to conclusions, can you please just answer the question? I brought it up because I’m another thread, you said something about the team wanting to add 50 lbs to his weight. Apologies for combining two threads in my response.

And how exactly am I conflating things?

Some of us on here know (and discuss) football, not the semantics and “logic” of other posters.

I’ll wait.

Last edited:

I've always been curious to know the one lift max bench press compared to the maximum number of bench presses at 225 correlation.
Not sure if it’s always spot on, but I can tell you that many moons ago I did 24 reps at 225 and my one rep max at that time was about 410.

If DR is not getting it done next year I don't think firing him after the season would cause anymore turmoil that what is current within the program. Get the right replacement and it is a non issue.

C
If he's not getting it done next year he probably shouldn't have been retained. I'm not questioning whether or not Rhule thinks he can get the job done, obviously if he's retaining him Rhule must like something. My original point was that IF he's not a good coach, retaining him to solely to try to bring in a recruit would be a stupid move.

I felt like the OL was our worst position group and didn't see much improvement throughout the season. So, this is a complete surprise move to move. Has he proven himself to be a solid recruiter? Is there something I am not seeing here?

I felt like the OL was our worst position group and didn't see much improvement throughout the season. So, this is a complete surprise move to move. Has he proven himself to be a solid recruiter? Is there something I am not seeing here?
That's just it, year one, lose 2 starters off the bat, no recruits to call your own, and having to improve with no time.
MR sees something in DR, thats the bottom line

I want to believe MR will have a major hand in the OL, and maybe he wanted someone he could work with, and mold to his way of thinking. Maybe he thinks that would be better than an established highly regarded coach that he would have to get to do things his way? Just trying to make sense of this.

I’m pretty sure you frequently answer posts like this, but I’ll bite anyway.

Since I am truly interested in figuring out just what the hell you were talking about, I’ll ask again- what was your point about Jurgens? I’m actually not sure so I’m seriously asking. And instead of replying with some gobbledy gook about my leaping to conclusions, can you please just answer the question? I brought it up because I’m another thread, you said something about the team wanting to add 50 lbs to his weight. Apologies for combining two threads in my response.

And how exactly am I conflating things?

Some of us on here know (and discuss) football, not the semantics and “logic” of other posters.

I’ll wait.

Frequently answer posts like what? I was at work at the time and can't write a lengthy response on my phone. You're way off base with me, but I'll give this another try.

My point on Jurgens was that he was a player the staff packed a ton of weight on in a very short period of time....and it worked. I was against it from the get go, as adding that much weight to his frame in that short period of time seemed like a really bad idea. It worked. He wasn't ready to play center when he was handed the position, but by the end of his time at Nebraska, he was a very, very good center. Obviously a failure of the S&C program. I know. (Sarcasm)

You're conflating things, as do many posters, by saying 'The offensive line play was poor and we don't physically dominate, therefore our S&C is the problem.' Those things don't align like so many think they do. There are a lot of football players who aren't even very good S&C guys and still happen to be very good football players. Conversely, there are kids in great S&C programs who aren't very good football players. The two don't always align. When we had elite talent AND the best S&C in the game, we kicked nearly everyone's tail. We don't have close to elite talent anymore and it shows. No amount of S&C in the world will overcome lack of coaching, development, scheme and going against better players.

I know and discuss football. Just because we don't agree on this subject doesn't mean otherwise. I'm not sure what the comments about semantics or logic come from, but whatever.

Let me know if that makes more sense.

Our agility (lack) seems to be the weakness in my opinion.

Is this a matter of concentrating on strength with less focus on conditioning?

I honestly don't know, but it's obvious that our trenches are lacking on both sides.

Hopefully the trench issues are resolved soon, regardless of the cause.

Frequently answer posts like what? I was at work at the time and can't write a lengthy response on my phone. You're way off base with me, but I'll give this another try.

My point on Jurgens was that he was a player the staff packed a ton of weight on in a very short period of time....and it worked. I was against it from the get go, as adding that much weight to his frame in that short period of time seemed like a really bad idea. It worked. He wasn't ready to play center when he was handed the position, but by the end of his time at Nebraska, he was a very, very good center. Obviously a failure of the S&C program. I know. (Sarcasm)

You're conflating things, as do many posters, by saying 'The offensive line play was poor and we don't physically dominate, therefore our S&C is the problem.' Those things don't align like so many think they do. There are a lot of football players who aren't even very good S&C guys and still happen to be very good football players. Conversely, there are kids in great S&C programs who aren't very good football players. The two don't always align. When we had elite talent AND the best S&C in the game, we kicked nearly everyone's tail. We don't have close to elite talent anymore and it shows. No amount of S&C in the world will overcome lack of coaching, development, scheme and going against better players.

I know and discuss football. Just because we don't agree on this subject doesn't mean otherwise. I'm not sure what the comments about semantics or logic come from, but whatever.

Let me know if that makes more sense.
Don’t forget that Jurgens had foot injury issues caused by the rapid change in his body mass

I want to believe MR will have a major hand in the OL, and maybe he wanted someone he could work with, and mold to his way of thinking. Maybe he thinks that would be better than an established highly regarded coach that he would have to get to do things his way? Just trying to make sense of this.
That’s basically what Damon Benning said on his show this morning. He said Rhule interviewed multiple candidates and decided Raiola was the best fit. Benning said after a recent conversation with Rhule that Rhule has a similar philosophy to Osborne in that as head coach it’s part of his responsibility to coach the coordinators, it’s the coordinators responsibility to coach the position coaches and the position coaches to coach the players.

Our agility (lack) seems to be the weakness in my opinion.

Is this a matter of concentrating on strength with less focus on conditioning?

I honestly don't know, but it's obvious that our trenches are lacking on both sides.

Hopefully the trench issues are resolved soon, regardless of the cause.
I’m hoping the the new S&C staff will be able to fix these issues with the players that have been here 2 plus years. I was at the Iowa game and it was concerning to see some of our big guys on the d-line get pancaked multiple times by lineman smaller framed and 30 pounds lighter than them.

That’s basically what Damon Benning said on his show this morning. He said Rhule interviewed multiple candidates and decided Raiola was the best fit. Benning said after a recent conversation with Rhule that Rhule has a similar philosophy to Osborne in that as head coach it’s part of his responsibility to coach the coordinators, it’s the coordinators responsibility to coach the position coaches and the position coaches to coach the players.
Start the message, let the coords get it right, growing the tree so to speak,assistants make it happen in player instruction.
MR knows what he wants, his coords no doubt have grown/learned and can share/change with MRs approval, ala coach Mac

One key to Rhule's success seems to be his eye for coaching talent. So I am not going to second guess him from the armchair. But if the O-line doesn't improve, it's going to make Rhule look pretty bad.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back