• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Donovan Raiola To Be Retained As OL Coach

We need to get back to the OL being a little nasty and explosive with quicker feet and hands. I would take a 6'0 295 guard who can move and has a mean streak over a guy that is 6'6 315 and helps the defender up after he pulls him to the ground on a hold penalty....

Last edited:
I know this narrative has been out there for a couple of years now, but IMHO it doesn’t hold water.

How can S&C be a benefit for the rest of the position groups or at worse been neutral, but a detriment to the OL?
Protein

I agree.

#1 - the weak link it this past year's line was Hixon at center. He could not block anyone one-on-one, required help from guards and his snapping became problematic.

#2 - Piper, Nouiili, Lutovsky, Prochazka and Corcoran are going to be very good especially with another year of S&C.

#3 - I do think Benhart will be better especially with new S&C.

This is a nice solid core to build off of ... add a portal transfer or two and the line can/will be solid.
^This
They are young, pointing to older failures that also have to unlearn old habits and relearn new ones and making evaluations of older passed up players and ignoring the younger ones who actually have the most to gain/learn isnt wise.

I agree.

#1 - the weak link it this past year's line was Hixon at center. He could not block anyone one-on-one, required help from guards and his snapping became problematic.

#2 - Piper, Nouiili, Lutovsky, Prochazka and Corcoran are going to be very good especially with another year of S&C.

#3 - I do think Benhart will be better especially with new S&C.

This is a nice solid core to build off of ... add a portal transfer or two and the line can/will be solid.
Solid post!

I want better offensive and defensive line play

Last edited:
We want juniors/seniors starting mostly. We want consistency under good coaching.
People can say we've had that, but we really havnt. Nouili gets off the bus and starts? Teddy P looks unlike anything we've seen in awhile?
Luto gets a lot of playing time?
I dont want to denigrate players, and admire the hell out of a guy who's stayed,been passed up but is a weak spot, only because we dont have better options, but between our talent and previous coaches primarily, our future will only get better, and DR should not carry the weight of previous failures

#1 - It takes 3 years to develop a cohesive O-Line ... Raiola has been with NU less than 1 year
#2 - We lost arguably our two best linemen off of last year's team
#3 - Whipple's pro-style west coast offense was a dramatic change from last year's RPO style offense. This asked a whole different set of skills from the linemen!
Well, hopefully we can accelerate that timeline, despite breaking in a new center.

Hoping we get more athletic lineman...guys that can run like a TE, but are big and strong enough to play the Oline. We often don't think of linemen as athletic. But the successful teams out there have linemen that can move.
I didn’t play anywhere near a level of Nebraska but when I played we had several o linemen (and I was one) who could dunk a basketball, shoot a low 80 in golf, hit a fastball and kick 40 yard field goals off a tee before practice. Lol, not exactly scientific, but if you are only good at one athletic movement, you won’t last long in the big ten.
LOVED guys like Jurgens for this very reason.

We need to get back to the OL being a little nasty and explosive with quicker feet and hands. I would take a 6'0 295 guard who can move and has a mean streak over a guy that is 6'6 315 and helps the defender up after he pulls him to the ground on a hold penalty....
Agreed. Two of the best linemen EVER to play at Neb were both lucky to be 6 feet tall. And I believe both won the Outland trophy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back