• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does Scott Frost Deserve a 5th Season at Nebraska?

We can't all be 100%. You're welcome to challenge.

I don't think you can look at not signing any of these kids in a vacuum.

Two are at positions we didn't need or want to chase in this cycle (TE). That's changed due to defections, injuries, etc., but that's where that position started last year.

Not all four are Nebraska kids. Two of the four are transplants. They don't have Nebraska roots. That matters. I was a Nebraska kid who moved to Colorado and had I had a Nebraska AND a Colorado offer back in the day, I'm picking the Huskers. Piss on choosing the school I was closest to geographically, I had Husker ties. You have to look at these kids through those lenses as well. Do any of them have true Nebraska ties?

Anyway, you can't condemn the staff for this. You can look at it and evaluate, but it's not an automatic 'You should have gotten these kids'. It's just not.

Not accurate at all. So Nebraska "didn't need or want to chase" a TE this class? A position group that might lose its top two on the depth chart and has no experience behind them? OK. They have a TE commit in this class BTW, I guess Frost didn't get the memo that they didn't need one.

In fact, all four players they missed on play positions the staff either needs in this class or have multiple commits from that positron group, proving they indeed could have used them.

The actual fact is, they were outrecruited by other teams and/or the kids were wary about all the losing.

We can't all be 100%. You're welcome to challenge.

I don't think you can look at not signing any of these kids in a vacuum.

Two are at positions we didn't need or want to chase in this cycle (TE). That's changed due to defections, injuries, etc., but that's where that position started last year.

Not all four are Nebraska kids. Two of the four are transplants. They don't have Nebraska roots. That matters. I was a Nebraska kid who moved to Colorado and had I had a Nebraska AND a Colorado offer back in the day, I'm picking the Huskers. Piss on choosing the school I was closest to geographically, I had Husker ties. You have to look at these kids through those lenses as well. Do any of them have true Nebraska ties?

Anyway, you can't condemn the staff for this. You can look at it and evaluate, but it's not an automatic 'You should have gotten these kids'. It's just not.

DeShawn Woods grew up a HUGE Husker fan BTW

The coaching carousel is a contributing factor to the constant losing. It's been 20 years since we consistently won games that mattered and contended for division and conference titles. I'm okay allowing Frost 1 more season. When he was hired, I said he needed 5 years to contend in the B1G. If after 5 seasons, we are still having this discussion, then he needs to go. Giving him 1 more isn't gonna make or break any of us.
It won't break us but it will break the football program. As people have said giving him another year with the way recruiting is going puts the Huskers in a very bad spot and that will factor into finding a coach. A coach now can look at this roster and say I can win there. He could possibly salvage this class and then have a heads up going into year.

It's not the coaching carousel itself but who our ADs have hired. Billy C, Riley, and Frost have all been major flops. Bo was good for awhile until he began to hate this place because of Perlman and Eichorst. If you trust Alberts to make the decision to bring Frost back then you need to trust him to make the call to move on from Frost and hire a different coach. If he goes 1-3 or 0-4 the rest of the way, keeping him does way more harm then good to the brand. IMO

Last edited:

One of the positives covered by the weaknesses was bringing Husker Power yet and we are already seeing big progress in physicality. These strength coaches seem pretty dialed in.

Important for B1G play and one aspect that will continue to improve given an opportunity. Something we don't want to let slide like not lifting from the ground etc. we saw in HCMR years.

A S&C program used by less than 5 programs in the country, literally. When guys like Mike Croel and Broderick Thomas could walk into the weight room and recognize the program you're doing, that's not good. The evolutions that have been made in S&C the last 20 years is insane. The game isn't played in a phone booth anymore. Why would you train players the same way? You gotta adapt.

iu

Now there are some things to be positive about and there are some things to be negative about within the program. There do seem to be some things trending to the positive side over the last few weeks.

What our final record ends up being should answer a lot of questions. If we finish .500 is that enough to give recruiting a shot in the arm?

Is that enough to bring back some excitement in the fans and cause ticket sales to trend upwards again?

Will it be enough to keep enough boosters happy?

If we end up at .500 there's a good argument to be made to retain Frost. If that's contingent upon some staff changes, how do you make that happen with those replacements knowing Frost could be on his last year anyway?

That's a consideration for recruits for the next cycle as well.

Trev's got a tough call to make here.

Now there are some things to be positive about and there are some things to be negative about within the program. There do seem to be some things trending to the positive side over the last few weeks.

What our final record ends up being should answer a lot of questions. If we finish .500 is that enough to give recruiting a shot in the arm?

Is that enough to bring back some excitement in the fans and cause ticket sales to trend upwards again?

If we end up at .500 there's a good argument to be made to retain Frost. If that's contingent upon some staff changes, how do you make that happen with those replacements knowing Frost could be on his last year anyway?

if we finish .500, Frost is retained and rightfully so. Everyone on this board is pulling for that.

Last edited:

I'm not assuming the rest of the game would go exactly the same. Though, the closer you get to the end of the game, the less likely the trajectory will change. OK, maybe that last sentence didn't make sense. By that I mean, if the ball bounces the other way early in the game, it will have less of an effect on the outcome. If the ref misses the call on the ball going over the goal line with 0:00 on the clock, that makes all the difference.

(I think I just complicated what could be a simpler explanation.)

Long story short, I'm basing my conclusion on two things:

1. We have built up the team depth. We've built the culture; guys are fighting to the end now regardless of circumstances (which we didn't see in 2017). While turnovers, penalties, and special teams were atrociously disappointing against Illinois, all areas have improved over the season. Anyone who watches the games with a basic knowledge of football can see improvement over the course of the year.

2. Statistically speaking, we're on the wrong end of probability in one-score games. With the improvement the team is making, that number is statistically bound to turn around.* The close losses will turn to close wins. Then we take the next step.

*I know what you're thinking ("the definition of insanity..."). But we have made steady progress in "competing" against increasingly better competition. It's the progression in turning around a program. First you learn how to compete. Then you learn how to win. Then you learn how to dominate. It's been tougher than it ought to be because of our schedule.
So that's what we are hanging our hats on? Sad how far some of you have debased yourself for bad football because a dude played quarterback at Nebraska.

This is exactly where my head is at.

I am also of the belief if Scott takes this team to a bowl game that he should be retained, although I would still like to see changes on the staff (I think that will work its way out on its own in one, maybe two instances).

If we have another 4 win season, it's time to rip off the band aid. If you can't fix what's been broke after four years, there's little hope to believe it will happen.

Looking forward to Scott showing Husker Nation that this team is headed in the right direction over the next 4 weeks. Let's see how these games play out.

Yesterday Unsportsmanlike Conduct gave analysis of FBS coaches since 1971.

In those 50 years 705 coaches total were at the same school 4+ years.

105 got their 5th year with 0 winning seasons, 0 bowl appearances, less than .390 win %. If NU has a losing record this year Frost is in that group.

Of those 105 only 14 ever had a winning season at that school.

Of those 14 only 2 went on to have a career record over .500 at that school. Stolz at Bowling Green snd Schiano at Rutgers.

Only 4 ever finished a season at that school ranked in the top 25. Schiano at Rutgers, Corso at Indiana, Cutcliffe at Duke and McCarney at Iowa State. They each had one season where they finished top 25.

None of those coaches ever went on to finish in the top 10.

Will Frost get another year? Yes.

If he doesn’t win two more games does he deserve it? Guess it’s in how you define “deserve”. NU would be banking on him to be a coaching turnaround story like college football hasn’t seen in the last 50 years.

I'd be curious to know as to how many of the 105 coaches were coaching at a University that had won multiple National Championships within ~20 years of their first year coaching there. As I typed that I honestly thought to myself, wow... ~20 years is a long time, but it sure doesn't feel like it around here.

Anyway... I bring this up because I feel that this context is important to consider; it goes to the expectations (right, wrong or indifferent) of the University's Fans, Administration and/or Donors. Those expectations drive tolerance and patience... or lack thereof.

:Sign2cents:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back