• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread 2020-2021

Tough loss at KU..... Had a shot. Woulda shoulda coulda.....

Poor Ziggy, I can't imagine what was going through his head on that 3rd FT. Hard to make three in a row... but dammit, he made the first 2!

I thought the Jays played okay..... a little tight and hence the uncharacteristic turnovers. Credit KU for an active disruptive defense though. If CU doesn't gack at the line and I'm not talking about the last FT, this could be a different game (Captain Obvious says).

Ziggy looks to me like he might be pressing a little too much. It's a lot to come back from the injury and then have all these preseason accolades and hype. In this KU game, I thought maybe he was trying a little too hard to make some plays. He still scored 16(?), but maybe forced some things he shouldn't have.

I'll give my quick take on that Marquette loss.

Couldn't handle Marquette's big man in the middle, killed on the boards on both ends, couldn't find the hole on free throws at all (~50%), faced a team that could shoot just as well, and in this case better beyond the arc

and yet, like the Kansas game, they didn't fold when they got down and just kept coming to the end.

Ziggy is still struggling to find his groove with the 3 pt. shot. I think he was missed all his attempts in this game, but still made some great plays with quick burst to the basket and directing the offense.

Mahoney is the MVP so far this season, in my eyes.

and finally, it was good to see Ballock get his stroke back, unfortunately, Marquette had several guys it seems that would answer any three with a three... I think they were 7-9 in second half on 3's.... and there's your ballgame.

I'll give my quick take on that Marquette loss.

Couldn't handle Marquette's big man in the middle, killed on the boards on both ends, couldn't find the hole on free throws at all (~50%), faced a team that could shoot just as well, and in this case better beyond the arc

and yet, like the Kansas game, they didn't fold when they got down and just kept coming to the end.

Ziggy is still struggling to find his groove with the 3 pt. shot. I think he was missed all his attempts in this game, but still made some great plays with quick burst to the basket and directing the offense.

Mahoney is the MVP so far this season, in my eyes.

and finally, it was good to see Ballock get his stroke back, unfortunately, Marquette had several guys it seems that would answer any three with a three... I think they were 7-9 in second half on 3's.... and there's your ballgame.

Not every team will be able to pull it off, but that's going to be what a lot of teams try to do to Creighton this year. Initiate and force a lot of contact inside and see if the refs will allow it. Then hope that Creighton doesn't block out, hit FT's or hit enough shots to pull it out anyway.

Even in this game, they got good quality shots and probably would have won with an ordinary shooting night from the FT line or from Marcus Z.

Was good to see Ballock looking for his shot actively. If he's this active all year, it changes the way teams have to play against is significantly

I was disappointed we didn't show more fight to slug back inside earlier in the 2nd half. Bishop was getting demolished inside by John (hopefully that puts to rest the idea of him jumping to the NBA or something crazy). He needs some defensive help against guys like that, and needs to keep working on his outside shot to pull defenders like that out of the basket. Kalk will do better after this intro to the BE. Epperson looked pretty good and was maybe the most effective of the big guys.

Marcus needs to play to his average level, though, both offensively and defensively. We just haven't seen that yet this year.

Nice outing against St. Johns:

Solid defense with the offense moving the ball and getting great shots. Lots of good things across the roster in this game

- Marcus busted out of his season starting slump (hopefully for good)
- Jefferson may have been the best player on the floor (10 pts, 10 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 steal)
- Kalkbrenner bounced back and played very well in his 2nd BE game (15 pts, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks in 16 minutes)
O'Connell is eligible and looked pretty good despite missing a couple of shots that are nicely in his skillset to hit.
- Defense and rebounding were much tougher and sharper in this game (all the big men played pretty well and we won in the paint and on the boards)

Lots to like, but St. Johns isn't all that good this year and it remains to be seen if Anderson will be a good fit in the BE with his style and recruiting

Good Road Win. The Jays continue to struggle a bit a the line and Ziggy still working things out with his shot (although UConn had a good game plan to harass him all game). Again, all starters in double figures for a balanced effort. Bishop picked up the scoring to help the chillier than usual 3 pt shooters. Liked the rebounding and tenacity. Again, they get a lead and give it up, but don't fold down the stretch. Bouknight is a player for UConn.

Good Road Win. The Jays continue to struggle a bit a the line and Ziggy still working things out with his shot (although UConn had a good game plan to harass him all game). Again, all starters in double figures for a balanced effort. Bishop picked up the scoring to help the chillier than usual 3 pt shooters. Liked the rebounding and tenacity. Again, they get a lead and give it up, but don't fold down the stretch. Bouknight is a player for UConn.

Teams are going to try to beat this Creighton team up, especially when they are big inside just like Marquette did and like UConn tried to do.

Anyway, this shows the team is learning. Much better minutes from the big men to match the other team's intensity. Marcus still not shooting well, but they picked it up and got the win. 100% Creighton loses this game 2 years ago.. they learned toughness last year

Teams are going to try to beat this Creighton team up, especially when they are big inside just like Marquette did and like UConn tried to do.

Anyway, this shows the team is learning. Much better minutes from the big men to match the other team's intensity. Marcus still not shooting well, but they picked it up and got the win. 100% Creighton loses this game 2 years ago.. they learned toughness last year

I am hoping the Marquette game was kind of a weird outlier.... MU was shooting lights out 3's and CU was horrible from the free throw line (but was still in until the end) Not going to face too many teams that shoot 50%+ from behind the arc while you are shooting <50% from the line.

Sounds like they didn’t play their best, but still squeaked out a win against the X-Men. Good teams find a way.

Sounds like they didn’t play their best, but still squeaked out a win against the X-Men. Good teams find a way.

Yup, another team effort with guys stepping up (Antwan Jones this time IMO) getting key buckets with MZ and MB cold as ice. Lots of iron clanging in this one on both sides of the court.

At some point Creighton will get everyone going at the same time, but that wasn't yesterday. I was a bit concerned yesterday as Providence always plays Creighton tough, and it was at home in their legacy gym (don't think they used it much lately, but they hadn't lost there since 1971.

The good:
- The defense carried them all day. Even with a ton of turnovers early and not blocking out enough, they played great D and held their two best scorers Duke and Watson way below their season averages and below 40% shooting. Special call out for Bishop/Kalkbrenner and Mahoney for their D on Watson and Duke. Kalkbrenner's growing up fast in the BE - 16 minutes, 4 pts, 6 boards, 4 blocks in that time. Bishop with the huge running of the floor and dunk to win it.

- Marcus, Ballock, and Jefferson all scored in bunches, and were super effective, Marcus was confident and quick with his decisions. Ballock hit some crazy long 3's

- Jefferson was the best player on the floor. He's the most athletic guy on the roster, and he's really put it together this year. Still not a 3-PT shooter, but offensively he's much better than before now

The Bad:

- Looked lost against the zone to start -- turnovers and unforced errors all over
- Gave up 19 offensive rebounds
- let the game slip away with a ton of mistakes and missed FT's down the stretch
- No offense really, other than the Marcus, Ballock and Jefferson all day long
- Bench has been up and down every game it seems. Down this game. Mitchell was a liability against the zone. OConnell and Jones brought little and hurt the team defensively. Only the Frosh, Kalkbrenner was effective.

Overall: Another tough road win, and things do appear to be coming together. Defense has been the key. Terrible D in the Marquette game (130.9 defensive rating that game). Otherwise 100 or less in every other BE game this year (and every other game including Kansas at 97.3)

Team should be thankful the the decision to hire Lusk back in 2018. They've stuck with Mac's offensive style, but added just great attention to detail and a great system defensively. They'll never be the old Wichita State D's, but they are light years away from what we saw just a few years ago, and that's due to Lusk (and due to just having better athletes out there playing the D)

Jays seem to be hitting on most all cylinders, but MZ's injury is a concern. Hopefully, this is nothing more than cautious rest and they felt they could handle SJ without him. ....which they did. Everyone stepped up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back