• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread 2020-2021

It doesn’t excuse blowing the game, but the officials blew the call at the end of the game. Jays should have had the ball with 4.5 left.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda ! LOL crayton loses in OT. We truly enjoy cheering for the opponent for every game.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda ! LOL crayton loses in OT. We truly enjoy cheering for the opponent for every game.
They dug their own grave, but it was sloppy officiating, and I hate to see that. It’s a reviewable play, and if there is a question, you go to the monitor. Heck, it looked as incompetent as B1G officiating.

Last edited:
Didn't get to watch the game, but assume shooters were cold and MZ didn't play. Kind of figured there would be a let down coming.... the ebbs and flows of a season.

Hey...long time no talk!

The jays have been a little up and down since that KU loss. Quite frankly, I'm in the middle of my "mid-season" pessimistic stretch. I'm leaving room for MZ not being 100% and that being a reason for some of the struggles. Like the Mo Watson team, this team isn't going anywhere without MZ playing and playing well.

Mitch Ballock has me scratching my head. He's had some good games here and here but they really need him to be more consistent in the 12 pt range, IMO. He simply refuses to shoot anything but a 3. The thing is, because his defender has to close out on him so hard when he gets a pass he's often able to put the ball on the floor and drive to a point where he could have about 5 uncontested 12 footers every game. But he gets to that point, picks up his dribble and searches for someone to pass to almost 100% of the time. Drives me nuts. He did take and make one against UCONN so maybe he'll keep it up...I have my doubts.

Mahoney, on the other hand, has become a black hole at times. He's the proverbial "never met a shot he didn't like" guy. Which is fine most of the time. But when you're 1-10 maybe pass up contested 3s?

Over the course of the season the best player has been Damien Jefferson. That guy has had a really good season (except at the line :mad:). Defense, boards, steals, scoring, overall hustle...he's just been a stud.

This team absolutely should be a sweet 16 team with a 50-50 shot at final 8...unless they are a 4 seed in Gonzaga's or Baylor's regional. But I believe they'll probably underachieve. Their 3 point shooting is too streaky and their free throw shooting sucks. The FT shooting will cost them a game in the dance IMO and prevent them from fulfilling their true potential. That's my prediction TODAY. FT shooting doesn't generally turn the corner 2/3 of the way through the season but we'll see.

I'm with you on this assessment bils. Even in victory, other than the Seton Hall game, they've been a bit frustrating to watch. FT's will surely cost them games in the future and I don't know if they get that fixed.

Agree....Jefferson is definitely the other straw that stirs the drink, and Mahoney is an enigma to me ..maybe he is the quintessential "no, No, NO.. ...YES, good shot!" guy.

Mitch needs to get his mojo back, but man teams are doing a great job of denying him good looks. At least it seems that way to me.

I'm with you on this assessment bils. Even in victory, other than the Seton Hall game, they've been a bit frustrating to watch. FT's will surely cost them games in the future and I don't know if they get that fixed.

Agree....Jefferson is definitely the other straw that stirs the drink, and Mahoney is an enigma to me ..maybe he is the quintessential "no, No, NO.. ...YES, good shot!" guy.

Mitch needs to get his mojo back, but man teams are doing a great job of denying him good looks. At least it seems that way to me.
They are doing a good job of denying him...but that allows him to blow by them on the dribble. He could make them pay by hitting some 12 footers. It's like he thinking analytics while on the court....play basketball mitch. Also, that might get him to the line a little and help the FT numbers a little. Part of the FT problem is Jefferson, Mahoney and Bishop are the top 3 in FT attempts...and 2 of 3 are bad FT shooters. The 3rd, Mahoney, is just mediocre.

Last edited:
I think Mitch was listening to you, bils....and he just played basketball....and nice to see MZ doing his thing.

Curious what you guys think of Antwan Jones. He started the season looking like he'd be a major contributor, but the guy can't seem to find the hole. O'Connell looks pretty fluid and capable too, but his shot is inconsistent. Was hoping for more out of these two from flashes they've shown.

Crazy game last night which I had to watch on delayed recording (was about an hour behind live broadcast), but accidently saw a sports notification on my phone... that I tried not to read but caught "erases 16 point deficit". Ha... kind of ruined the experience, but I still didn't know if they actually won or lost... it could have said CU erases deficit but SH holds on. So the very end was still a thrill. I had a lot of work-related texts to deal with so I couldn't turn off the phone. I wasn't smart enough to turn off the notifications.

Good win on the road.... good decision to switch to zone (per all the Fox Commentary and Mac after the game) and good that CU can find ways to win in games they get out shot for most of the game, out rebounded, don't go to the line and then miss when they do, and get very little from their bigs offensively.

Interesting game last night at DePaul. With as flat as they were, CU still wins the game.... and certainly aided by FT shooting in the final stretch. I thought the depleted DePaul team played well on defense.... completely taking MB out of the game (which hurt them elsewhere eventually). And they got some offense out of guys that apparently don't normally contribute much. In the last 3 minutes they realized that they were a last place team and played like it making some critical mistakes that helped CU for sure. However, I'll give CU credit for making key plays in the end and getting it done at the FT line where they've been abyssmal all season. One announcer noted at the end, it was a mark of a good team to play bad and still win. Props to Zig and Mitchell for some beautiful pinpoint lobs underneath to Kalkbrenner...and to Kalk for finishing. He had a great game.

LOL... well at least the game last night made some folks around here happy.

Creighton got it handed to them last night for sure. GT shooting lights out in the 1st half. The "dirty birds" could never recover. They've struggled for sure against the bottom tier in the conference and have been living on the edge the past couple weeks. Need to fix that in hurry.

Good road win vs. Marquette for the Jays to get them out of a bit of a slump. They were tough on the boards all night and that's what ultimately led to the W. The despicable dirty birds went on a 13-2 run to end the first half and then stayed just far enough ahead the rest of the way. MU still had a chance to tie on a last second shot. Team effort to out hustle and out rebound the Warriors. Props Christian Bishop for a great game in the paint all night (14 pts., 8 rbs) and notably after rolling his ankle on the opening tip. CU only hit six 3's for that game and the damage was mostly inside from CB, RK, and DJ.

Didn't get to see the GT game, but looks like defense wins the game again for the Jays. Good to see that if the shots aren't all falling that they can find different ways to beat teams. GT not shooting well, but from what I read, Jays were all over them forcing turnovers and not allowing GT to get untracked offensively.

Nova next.... ..... should be fun.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back