• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread 2020-2021

Well that was close. I saw a little bit of the first half and then the last 30 seconds of the game... Probably all I needed to see.... Freaking clutch FTs by Bishop... and good fortune at the very end. That's about all I am capable of assessing.... on to the the next game. Virginia or Ohio....

Good for Creighton making the sweet 16. Not really a fan but I don't hate them like some. It's impressive what they've built. Small school, really not the nicest looking college but they're always respectable within a good basketball conference. Of all the big schools in Omaha and Lincoln, I would not have picked them to be the best in basketball. UNL and UNO look like much nicer places to go to college. And that's makes their success all the more impressive. Good for McDermott and team.

Last edited:
Congrats to the Jays! This is a pretty big deal for the program, of course. My Jhayter friends scoff at the "easy" route they had to get there beating a 12 and 13 seed, however, they did take care of business unlike a whole lot of teams (ahem..OSU, Purdue). And the reward for reaching the Sweet 16 is a date with the Zags.... so I guess the "free ride" is over which should please many here. If they bring their A game, the Jays might be able to hang with Gonzaga, but this could be a blowout if they show up just happy to be playing in the second week. They need the week to rest too... the starters have been playing a lot of minutes and CU has not been getting a great deal out of the bench except for Sharif. Would love to see Kalk make some noise and O'Connell needs to actually make some shots with his opportunities. MZ and CB have been tremendous.....

Great season by the jays. I'm always a little skeptical of the zags but they might be the real deal this year. Quite the accomplishment if they go undefeated.

Good season for the Jays
Certainly any season in which a team makes the Sweet 16 is a "good" season. Not a "great" season. The Jays roster was loaded this year. To not win a regular season or tournament conference title with perhaps the deepest, most talented and experienced roster in Jay history has to be a disappointment. The Georgetown blowout loss is a head scratcher.

It was a good season indeed for the Jays and unfortunately they had nothing for the Zags there at the end. MZ could only carry the team so far and when your outside weapons go ice cold (MB), it's tough. But that is about what had been written about CU from the get-go. Sandhills, I'm not sure I'd agree with "deepest..most talented" in Jay history, and I don't recall hearing or reading that anywhere. This was good roster... but maybe not even as good as last year with Tyshon A and certainly not deeper. They got to the Sweet 16 because they played hard as a team and MZ was special. They were expected to compete for, but not win the conference and was it disappointing that they finished poorly against GTown in the conference tourney final. This year, they scratched and clawed quite a bit and won some games maybe they shouldn't have and lost some they should have won. Other than Mitchell, they got inconsistent play out of their bench . Kalkbrenner is frosh and though contributed during the season, was still pretty green and that showed in the tourney. They needed to get more out of A . Jones and Alex O'Connell, but those guys just couldn't get over the hump and show they could actually score. Both looked very athletic while missing about every jump shot or layup they took. Not sure I'd qualify that as deep and loaded.

At any rate, I was proud the Jays this season, and I think this team played together well and won a lot of games due to that and their hard work, and certainly not due to being a deep roster of NBA hopefuls. Next year will be interesting. No doubt they will be a different team even if MZ unexpectedly sticks around.

Agree with Bubba. This was a good CU team, but last year's team was more talented, as was the team with Mo Watson (prior to injury), Justin Patton and Marcus Foster. And in light of CU's history, you can't call it a disappointing season when they were ranked the whole year and finished in the Sweet 16.

Yeah, I wish they had given the Zags at least something of a contest, and the meltdown against Georgetown was really painful.

Big East wasn't that good this year, and especially Villanova after losing its point guard. Good but not great seems to fit the year. But I'm no Jays fan so wth.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back