• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could Nebraska be talked into returning to the Big 12?

It's nice to see some athletes wearing glasses and a suit/white shirt/red tie! I don't know if these items make any of us "smarter," but appearances have gotten many of us a "better job!" Although, the workers I admire and am focused upon are our truck drivers, warehouse workers, assembly line workers, healthcare workers and others who work in grocery/drugstores, etc., who are trying to help us be healthy and safe and, they also are performing "essential services," for all of us!

Personally, from a pure football point, I hate the BIG. No history, and not even competitive. Can’t go to the games either. Too far away. I’d love it.
I'm not a huge B1G fan, but "No history, and not even competitive"?! Are you talking about Nebraska in the B1G or the B1G as a whole? If you're saying the B1G as a whole, I'd have to disagree that there's not history and that they haven't been competitive.

Here's one that talks about Texas imminent departure to the PAC 12 complete with a tweet by DeLoss Dodds' pool boy, Chip Brown. Given the tweet was on the same day Nebraska announced it's departure, it's pretty safe to assume Texas was negotiating that deal way before NU departed, which is very much in line with what PoC wrote.

As to the OP, I'd love to have the old Big 8 back but there is zero chance of that happening. I have no desire to return to the Big 12. Given the presence of Perlman and Eichorst on the NU landscape, we were destined to struggle, regardless of conference affiliation. The academic benefits of being in the B1G are significant. In addition, no one who has ever divorced themselves from the University of Texas has ever had a millisecond of regret of being free from all that entails. The Big 12 was a marriage of convenience that was destined to fail. If the Big 12 exists long term it's only because Texas won't accept being in a conference where they have anything less than complete control and everyone else in that league, with the exception of OU, has limited potential to move on and are just happy to not be sitting at the kids' table.

Edited to add this quote from the article:

"Texas might have been bluffing. Longhorn brass might have been using Larry Scott's Pac-10 as a pawn, attempting to scare the Big 12 into kowtowing (more than normal) and standing clear of what would become the Longhorn Network. We won't ever get a perfectly honest answer about how serious Texas was (or whether Brown was a knowing or unknowing player in the bluff). But in mid-June 2010, it not only felt like it could happen, it felt like it would. "

Last edited:
1. Football BIG10>Big12
2. Basketball BIG10>Big12
3. Volleyball BIG10>Big12
4. Baseball Big12>BIG10
5. Wrestling BIG10>Big12
6. Hockey BIG10>Big12
7. Lacrosse BIG10>Big12
8. Track Big12>BIG10

Of the major sports offered The BIG10 easily is the better conference. You maybe could make a case for football but from top to bottom the BIG10 is better. I DO miss having footballs games within 2-4 hours of driving distance. Going to away games in Lawrence, Ames, Manhattan and Columbia was always fun family trips for me in the 80's and early 90's. Throw in a trip to Boulder or Norman every couple years as well. With that said I have like being in the BIG10 but really miss the Big 8 teams. The Big12 has become such an offense oriented conference with little regards to defense. I'm not a huge fan of the 59-58 shootouts track meets. Also, as previously mentioned the Academics side of the BIG10 is a HUGE win for the Huskers. The amount research money UNL has now is 3-4 times what we had in the Big12. Look at the Business college department, Biochemisty department and Engineering department to just name a few. ALL have way more $$ after we joined the BIG10.

Nope, don't want to go back to the Big 12. \

What everyone is longing for is for Nebraska to be a big boy again. Nebraska fans that want to move back to the Big 12 want to do it because that is the last real success they remember in football. What everyone remembers is beating the crap out of ISU, KU, KSU, OSU, and MU every year. That was fun. If Nebraska over the last 9 season would have won a couple of B1G titles and had about 5 appearances in the B1G Championship game no one would be wishing to move back to the Big 12.

If Nebraska moves back to the Big 12 we don't automatically start winning 10 games again. Top to bottom the Big 12 is better than when Nebraska left just as the B1G is a lot better since we joined.

… DeLoss Dodds' pool boy, Chip Brown.
Perfect -- no better description. And he was so shameless about it, it wouldn't have been surprising had he worn a Speedo as Dodds whispered in his ear what to say.

Brown was Dodds' personal Minister of Disinformation. You know that stuff he floated out there on Orangebloods.com as the B12 teetered came straight from Dodds, a disingenuous power abuser who enjoyed keeping the other B12 members worried and insecure. Brown -- an eager purveyor of Fake News years before the term had been coined -- was either in denial about being used, or didn't care about being a conduit for Dodds' propaganda.

Last edited:
Nebraska hasn’t been competitive since Bo left.
True, and even not great in the Bo years with the Wisconsin drubbings etc. I thought the B1G was a weaker conference than the b12, and it actually might have been back then. The B1G raised it's game and Nebraska got worse. It has not been fun, but I don't know that we'd have been much more successful had we stayed in the b12.

We have, for the most part, dominated Big 12 football and have one of the easiest roads to the playoffs of any team in the country with maybe the exception of Clemson. I miss Nebraska football games in November but it is what it is. The Big 12 looks to be stable and is distributing big checks to the conference schools so I’m more than happy right where we are. Looking at all the schools that left the conference not one has had any degree of success in any sport, with the rare off year or two. The only thing I can see benefiting Nebraska being in the Big 12 is recruiting in Texas. Nebraska is almost what Colorado was back in the day. Far removed from other teams in their conference. Just watching from afar it doesn’t seem like the Big 10 has been particularly kind to the Cornhuskers in football scheduling. You can talk about academics and the money but winning in football is all that really matters to Nebraska fans.

Last edited:
Personally, from a pure football point, I hate the BIG. No history, and not even competitive. Can’t go to the games either. Too far away. I’d love it.
I think I agree with your premise, although I much prefer the B1G style to the Texas 7-on-7 game that they play in the Big XII.

I'll say I definitely had more fun visiting other B12 venues than the stuck up snooty folks in the B1G.

We have, for the most part, dominated Big 12 football and have one of the easiest roads to the playoffs of any team in the country with maybe the exception of Clemson. I miss Nebraska football games in November but it is what it is. The Big 12 looks to be stable and is distributing big checks to the conference schools so I’m more than happy right where we are. Looking at all the schools that left the conference not one has had any degree of success in any sport, with the rare off year or two. The only thing I can see benefiting Nebraska being in the Big 12 is recruiting in Texas. Nebraska is almost what Colorado was back in the day. Far removed from other teams in their conference. Just watching from afar it doesn’t seem like the Big 10 has been particularly kind to the Cornhuskers in football scheduling. You can talk about academics and the money but winning in football is all that really matters to Nebraska fans.
Oooo... I was gonna like your post, until the last sentence.

Not sayin' it ain't so...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back