• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Could Nebraska be talked into returning to the Big 12?

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
An interesting article with some fair points. Decisions that helped steer NU toward the Big 10 almost a decade ago don't necessarily matter much these days.

And a notable quote:

"When the time is right, Nebraska with its rich history and kinship with the old Big Eight schools, might be talked, without much arm-twisting, into rejoining the Big 12. Arkansas should be begging for an invitation."

Yea, and the other school aren't going back either. I think the conditions that led to the mass exodus still exist: less money (except for Colorado), the Longhorn Network still stands, and most importantly, nobody trusts Texas not to blow up the league like they almost did before the exodus.

Seriously two factors in play ... one is money, no way the B12 could match the B1G.

Second is Texas and they’re dominance of the B12. Texas would have to concede a lot of control for NU to ever consider rejoining the B12.

NU to the Big XII?

More like Oklahoma and Kansas to the Big Ten. That's the move that gets me excited more.

You get 8-team divisions that are fantastic:
West: NU, KU, OU, Iowa, Wisc, Minn, NW
East: Ill, Ind, Pur, Mich, MSU, OSU, MD, Rut

It's like an upgraded Big 8. If we got annual games against Iowa/Minn/Wisc AND OU/KU, I could die a happy man.

NU to the Big XII?

More like Oklahoma and Kansas to the Big Ten. That's the move that gets me excited more.

You get 8-team divisions that are fantastic:
West: NU, KU, OU, Iowa, Wisc, Minn, NW
East: Ill, Ind, Pur, Mich, MSU, OSU, MD, Rut

It's like an upgraded Big 8. If we got annual games against Iowa/Minn/Wisc AND OU/KU, I could die a happy man.
I'd be okay with that. OU for football, Kansas for basketball. And the OU/NU annual game again. I like it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back