• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

The mortality rate is probably no where near as high as originally thought or even what we see now.

As the number of cases has expanded, the mortality rate has declined. It will likely decline even further if and when those without symptoms can be diagnosed and counted.
Quote Tweet

uIHip5jj_normal.jpg

Yossi Gestetner

@YossiGestetner
· 13h
US #CoronaVirusDeathRate by date: 4.06% March 8 (22 deaths of 541 cases) 3.69% March 9 (26 of 704) 3.01% March 10 (30 of 994) 2.95% March 11 (38 of 1,295) 2.52% March 12 (42 of 1,695) 2.27% March 13 (49 of 2,247) 1.93% March 14 (57 of 2,954) 1.84% March 15 (68 of 3,680)

The U.S. is more in line with South Korea than Italy in regards to the age demographics, true. Certainly a plus in our favor.

South Korea also did extremely well in recognizing the problem and acting quickly. They've tested their citizens at a rate far beyond that of any other country (and between 4 and 5 times the rate of Italy). The more you track the virus, the better success in defeating it.

The concern, however, grows exponentially once the hospitals reach then exceed their saturation point. Italy's death rate was much lower until the point was reached when there simply weren't enough hospital beds, ICUs, and doctors available to treat everyone. So while the death rate from Covid-19 should be near (or even below) 1% here in the U.S. -- that depends highly on preventing the growing number of cases from overwhelming the hospitals. If that happens, you'll see the death rate climb.

Last edited:
The U.S. is more in line with South Korea than Italy in regards to the age demographics, true. Certainly a plus in our favor.

South Korea also did extremely well in recognizing the problem and acting quickly. They've tested their citizens at a rate far beyond that of any other country (and between 4 and 5 times the rate of Italy). The more you track the virus, the better success in defeating it.

The concern, however, grows exponentially once the hospitals reach then exceed their saturation point. Italy's death rate was much lower until the point was reached when their simply weren't enough hospital beds, ICUs, and doctors available to treat everyone. So while the death rate from Covid-19 should be near (or even below) 1% here in the U.S. -- that depends highly on preventing the growing number of cases from overwhelming the hospitals. If that happens, you'll see the death rate climb.
But that was always the same concern, right? That concern hasn't changed?
Both before and after the encouraging news that US fatalities were tracking closer to that of SK than Italy?

Both before and after the encouraging news that US fatalities were tracking closer to that of SK than Italy?

I don't know that any concern has ever changed. Some are less aware than others.

As mentioned, so long as we maintain enough hospital beds to provide for Americans that need treatment, we'll continue to track closer to South Korea's death rate than Italy's.

Italy's problem is two-fold. 1. Aging population. 2. Oversaturated hospitals.

The U.S. won't match Italy in problem #1. The key is preventing problem #2 -- which is exactly why taking the substantial steps we are taking by shutting down as much unnecessary activity as possible is key. The concern is whether or not we did so fast enough. Italy's numbers took a dramatic spike upward in what would be about 5-7 days from now in the U.S. Let's hope we are doing enough to prevent a similar type of spike.

EDIT: typo -- meant "aging" not "again."

Last edited:
I don't know that any concern has ever changed. Some are less aware than others.

As mentioned, so long as we maintain enough hospital beds to provide for Americans that need treatment, we'll continue to track closer to South Korea's death rate than Italy's.

Italy's problem is two-fold. 1. Again population. 2. Oversaturated hospitals.

The U.S. won't match Italy in problem #1. The key is preventing problem #2 -- which is exactly why taking the substantial steps we are taking by shutting down as much unnecessary activity as possible is key. The concern is whether or not we did so fast enough. Italy's numbers took a dramatic spike upward in what would be about 5-7 days from now in the U.S. Let's hope we are doing enough to prevent a similar type of spike.
Of course. In a thread about status updates, I was just hoping an encouraging status update could be enjoyed a little longer before we are reminded about distressing what-if scenarios that haven't changed. :)

The concern, however, grows exponentially once the hospitals reach then exceed their saturation point. Italy's death rate was much lower until the point was reached when there simply weren't enough hospital beds, ICUs, and doctors available to treat everyone. So while the death rate from Covid-19 should be near (or even below) 1% here in the U.S. -- that depends highly on preventing the growing number of cases from overwhelming the hospitals. If that happens, you'll see the death rate climb.
Regarding hospitals-Have a daughter that works at a hospital near Tampa. They were told last week they may be closed down soon-which to me seems counterproductive. Daughter # 2 who is a traitor and works at a different BIG school says they will close them so they will be able to handle the suspected large number of positive results.
Anyway-they are way smarter then me.

Read an analysis that the Italian Hospitals hit the overwhelmed stage at just 1000 critical patients with the virus. making sure we aren't Italy in our response is the most important thing (of course, it's worth noting that Italian hasn't historically responded well to big emergency events like this -- the 2003 heat wave took 15K in France and an estimated 20K in Italy as well)

I have found no information on whether or not having taken the two pneumonia shots provides any benefit to the symptoms of the Coronavirus. Any insights as to whether or not these vaccines help if you catch the Coronavirus?

Last edited:

I have found no information on whether or not having taken the two pneumonia shots provides any benefit to the symptoms of the Coronavirus. Any insights as to whether or not these vaccines help if you catch the Coronavirus?
Consult Native's thread where he and FLAS address a number of these issues but I think they said it won't be effective as it is a different animal.

Regarding hospitals-Have a daughter that works at a hospital near Tampa. They were told last week they may be closed down soon-which to me seems counterproductive. Daughter # 2 who is a traitor and works at a different BIG school says they will close them so they will be able to handle the suspected large number of positive results.
Anyway-they are way smarter then me.
"Traitor" is sort of a harsh label, don't you think? :Woohoo:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back