• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chinander is terrible, imo.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
I can not believe we can be 4-8 is a possibility two years in a row. It seems like we are doing the reverse of last year. What is really better this year than under MR. I feel we are going to get boat raced in 50% of the games left. We have beat some terrible teams and can not beat an equal average team at least MR had an upset. I am not pro MR I just think things are not going to improve unless the Oline and DLine are solid all game.

Dont believe it is a scheme issue. IMO it is a coaching issue, basic fundamentals and playing to the scheme that exists are the problems. Plenty of talent to beat teams like CU, Indiana and Minny.
Colorado and Indiana absolutely should've been wins. Minnesota is not a bad team this year. We should be 6-2 right now. Coaching is the reason we're not and it's mostly defensively.

I can not believe we can be 4-8 is a possibility two years in a row. It seems like we are doing the reverse of last year. What is really better this year than under MR. I feel we are going to get boat raced in 50% of the games left. We have beat some terrible teams and can not beat an equal average team at least MR had an upset. I am not pro MR I just think things are not going to improve unless the Oline and DLine are solid all game.
3 years in a row. 3.

That's why I give it time to see. Do you believe Domann can continue to develop into an every down backer? Do you believe Nelson has to potential to get after the passer? Or how about Alston, or Tannor, or Hannah, or Graham, or anyone we can get over the next few years. What was inherited was faulted. What defensive scheme makes Alex Davis better, keeps Domann from getting hurt, allows Tannor to better take on blockers that have 80+ pounds on him or can reel in Nelson to play assignment based football as a true freshman and not make "freshman mistakes."

They may be resolved by pieces that need more time, or it may be a scheme fit, we won't know until we give it a chance to work. Also, If you're relying on your walk-on program to get you back to a top 15 team, you will not become a top 15 team. Nothing against the program, but walk-ons are nice and can help but you never COUNT on them actually panning out, you're just pleasantly surprised when they do.

If you believe it's a scheme issue, then enlighten me, what scheme would work this year with the "personnel issues" you've seen through 8 games this year, or the 12 from last year?
I do agree it’s a talent issue. The inside LBs are very slow in coverage. I thought they played better assignment football on the few run plays Indiana played and they were at least in the vicinity of the receiver every time they got burned. My concern on Chins is where were the safety’s? At some point you need to bring some help when you see your linebackers getting burned every 3rd and long, even if it means risking giving up a huge play

What evidence do you have that any other defensive scheme works with the personnel we have right now?

We've had multiple schemes and none have worked over the past 6+years. Our ILB's are to slow to cover anyone (te's, hb's, slot wr's). We don't have the athletes on the edge to get after the qb and that's all exacerbated by a lack of depth at those positions so late in the game when your rotation guys that already struggle in the aforementioned areas, they are tired and struggle even more. There's not a scheme in the world that works with what we currently have.
Amen brother. Couldn't have said it better. Chin is NOT the problem.

None. There never was. He was the one asst I didn't want Frost to bring with him. UCF just outscored everyone, so Chinander was able to fly under the radar.
And folks were saying the same thing about a certain DC named Charlie back in the 80s. Seems he may have turned out pretty well.

W/L is a team stat and not a true indicator of defensive acumen, especially when you have an offense the quality of UCF in 2017. Anyway, just post the dang stats that you want so much or stop bringing it up. I will help you out, here is your precious W/L

2016 6-7
2017 13-0
2018 4-8

Your turn

C

Turnovers per game
2016: 16th
2017: 2nd
2018: T-36
2019:

Completion Percentage Allowed:
2016: 8th
2017: 33rd
2018: 33rd

Rushing Yards Per Attempt:
2016: T-28th
2017: T-53rd
2018: T-102

Opponents PPG:
2016: 42nd
2017: 52nd
2018: 88th

Points Margin:
2018: -1.3
2017: +22.9
2016: +3.8

2019 TBD for all catagories

My point is I don't want to skew statistics and cherry pick. So please explain why the following should be excluded when evaluating? clearly he has been able to coach up productive units that are considerably above average. Time will tell if he can develop the talent here.

So, I pose the same question to you I've been posing to others who insist it's on the coordinator, what scheme works with our current deficiencies?

We have a passionte head coach. A coach that is ALL Nebraska. Zero discussion there.....I think(?)

He has that BEAUTIFUL loyal gene that all of us Nebraskans have. My fellow Nebraskans....don't ever lose that by the way!

The down side is.....in modern day college football that can (unfortunately )
be seen as a detriment.

We have a coach who would ( In my opinion? ) give his life for this program.

I do hope (as a borne and bred Nebraskan) that he finds the courage and strength to make the necesssary ADJUSTMENTS to his staff to allow us to return where we we ARE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL.....TOP 5!

I understand the loyal gene but I also understand the demand for success. I never abandon people that helped me get where I am but I also don't allow them to under perform. My people understand that they have to deliver or they will need to step aside for someone who can. Their failure is my failure. I have the luxury of moving those people to areas that allow them to perform at a level more fitting their skills which is a luxury Scott my not have but I hope he understands that demanding a lot from your people and holding them accountable for performance should be expected by both parties. If someone is under performing but expecting me to carry them, they are not being loyal to me, they are using me. Allowing mediocrity is not loyalty it's compromise.

Do any of the other stats you mention matter much when they are a terrible scoring defense?
Yes actually, see 2017 UCF. Very mediocre scoring defense. Very good at creating turnovers and thus a massive + in points margin of victory.

Now, do any of those stats matter if no other scheme can improve the results with this personnel?

And if you believe another scheme works with what we are lacking, please show me :)

I understand the loyal gene but I also understand the demand for success. I never abandon people that helped me get where I am but I also don't allow them to under perform. My people understand that they have to deliver or they will need to step aside for someone who can. Their failure is my failure. I have the luxury of moving those people to areas that allow them to perform at a level more fitting their skills which is a luxury Scott my not have but I hope he understands that demanding a lot from your people and holding them accountable for performance should be expected by both parties. If someone is under performing but expecting me to carry them, they are not being loyal to me, they are using me. Allowing mediocrity is not loyalty it's compromise.

Absolutely agree.

But, if he can't move them into the immediate area (?).....help them into the next area?

That is a great coach.

I do agree it’s a talent issue. The inside LBs are very slow in coverage. I thought they played better assignment football on the few run plays Indiana played and they were at least in the vicinity of the receiver every time they got burned. My concern on Chins is where were the safety’s? At some point you need to bring some help when you see your linebackers getting burned every 3rd and long, even if it means risking giving up a huge play
Therein-lies another issue. Our safeties are a converted nickel corner/high school qb who is a true sophmore, and a safety who is a first year starter who is being tasked with getting everyone else lined up. The fact that dismuke is starting is telling in our talent at that spot imo. The fact that you have Eric Lee and 2 walk ons as the depth/backup, is telling of that situation. 2 of Frosts recruits both transferred (transition class etc) so that was an issue and Williams injury hurt, we haven't had the time to develop "their guys" at the position. We will see in a year or two after Farmer, Gates, and others have their chance to physically develop and learn to see how well we can coach them up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back