• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bad news for Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Tom get a pay raise after he interviewed at Colorado?

I don't know....... I do know he turned down several raises as he refuse the original amount offered as AD! TO was NEVER about the money but there is only one TO........ end of story!

Theres a certain semetry to a school in trouble with the NCAA hiring a coach in trouble with the NCAA. Doubt it happens, but I'm sure ESPN would spin it as a story of redemption.

I only posted for the irony and humor of it. Tressel isn't returning to coaching in college until Dec. 2016 or, more likely, ever. The NCAA has his number.

I guess I'm not as impressed with him as others are. This freshman class was the first to have a scholarship reduction, so it's not like he's coached successfully through the sanction
i agree. he did a commendable job for two years, and a less than this year. the thing that makes me smile is that Texass will expect him to take them to a title right quick. Won't happen for a few years if it does.

I don't know....... I do know he turned down several raises as he refuse the original amount offered as AD! TO was NEVER about the money but there is only one TO........ end of story!

What about Bill Snyder..there had to be somebody willing to pay him some cash...

He was solid for sure but lets not name hime coach of the decade yet, he is still very much unproven...

Not sure why it has to be about one thing. I would guess when a coach leaves it is about a multitude of reasons. Money, new challenge, better fit, new administration.

I wonder if he is returning calls or messages from recruits. It is dead period so he cannot initiate a contact.

The press will have a field day with this if O'Brien goes pro after telling a recruit he's staying and it's all rumors. Wow..

I would be surprised if O'Brien told a recruit anything else than he is coming back. He really can't tell anybody that he is negotiating for a new job. I think ESPN probably has this one right.

We don't know what he could have had..... we don't know what if anything was offered cause the story is he never interviewed?

Bottom line 7.5 makes him the highest paid college coach in the country. There is of course a limit even for TEXASS..... might be self imposed but I don't think TEXASS was going to pay him 10 million but that's pure speculation...........

The motivating force for most of these coaches is....... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ as it is in most positions today!

If it wasn't about the money then you'd have a lot more coaches moving around for the same money...... that doesn't happen!
It's difficult to know what to say to someone who believes money is the bottom line for the life decisions anyone makes. It might be so for some, but money never buys happiness. The difference a few million more makes is negligible.

Regardless of ANYTHING these HC's say (I LOVE PSU, NEVER WANT TO LEAVE.. blah blah blah) it's all about the money!! Peterson just proved that by bailing on BSU!!!

Bottom line if the money is right they are simply a hired hand. Not like when TO was coaching and coaches really didn't want to leave regardless of money. Now it's all about $$$$$....

Not saying it's bad but recruits should wake up when these guys promise them anything. The next year their new best friend HC can be gone....... That's the way the game is now played!!
Hate to rain on your parade of cynicism, but it's always been that way. Plenty of coaches have left a good job for more money throughout CFB history (Jumbo Stiehm in 1917, Jimmy Johnson in the Eighties, Dana Bible in the thirties, etc.), and plenty have stayed put for reasons other than money.

Sorry, don't agree with your view of the world.

It's difficult to know what to say to someone who believes money is the bottom line for the life decisions anyone makes. It might be so for some, but money never buys happiness. The difference a few million more makes is negligible.
Money is usually the bottom line in most business decisions regardless of what you may think... I could say a lot more about your pollyanna POV but I won't! I NEVER said the money BUYS anyone anything but more stuff to buy... period! The only guarantee in life is eventually death........ Making all decisions purely on money is probably wrong but it's a hell of way that many use to keep score. College and Pro football are big businesses now. That's what happens when big money take over imo. I think 7.5 million a year for a college football coach simply proves what a money game it's all become. Priorities have been turned upside down because of the huge salaries and perks handed out........ but all the big money programs.

Bottom line please don't lecture me about what I believe... ok!! I'm simply saying what is going on today... and yes... it's ALL about the money! If you'd remove your rose colored glasses and take in the landscape you'd see what I'm saying it true! Win a lot and make lots of money........ lose to much and get canned!! Coaches mostly have ZERO loyalty to anything but themselves anymore!! Numerous examples of such if you care to look around!!

Last edited:
Hate to rain on your parade of cynicism, but it's always been that way. Plenty of coaches have left a good job for more money throughout CFB history (Jumbo Stiehm in 1917, Jimmy Johnson in the Eighties, Dana Bible in the thirties, etc.), and plenty have stayed put for reasons other than money.

Sorry, don't agree with your view of the world.

Listen you wouldn't last in my kind of job for a week! You don't know what cynicism is until you do my type of work!! Do not need lectures from someone like you.......... You want to disprove my opinion then start with FACTS not gibberish. First off coaches tenure's continue to shrink every season. You don't think that's because of the money tied with winning at any cost? If so you are terribly naive imo.

The entire college coaching is now one huge turn table... nothing like it was 20 years ago. Take a look at your longest tenured coaches today... that will tell you everything you need to know. You want to cherry pick a few cases back to the 1917. make me laugh! What Dana Bible has to relate to todays coaching is exactly ZERO! Don't be ridiculous..........

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back