• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Adios Legends and Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Certainly not THOSE teams. If you want to believe we've fallen that low...that's fine.
How is that falling that low when Wisconsin has won the last 3 Big 10 titles and NW has the best teams they have had in history with a good coach and better recruits and Iowa by location is a natural rival?

To many people are hung up on who you play. I would rather play them for all the marbles in the championship game.

Who you play is everything, and I'd rather have 5 home games vs. UM at Memorial Stadium and 5 guaranteed trips to the Big House every decade vs. 1 or 2 CCG meetings (at best).

Who you play is everything, and I'd rather have 5 home games vs. UM at Memorial Stadium and 5 guaranteed trips to the Big House every decade vs. 1 or 2 CCG meetings (at best).
So we most likely play in the Big house 2-3 times instead in a decade with a chance at as you say 1-2 CCG and BAM same amount of games but with 2 bigger games than regular season games and we are complaining about this? Makes no sense whatever.

So you would rather play MU. OSU, PSU and Wisconsin every year and basically take your self out of the top 4 right away. Not many teams will play 4 top teams every year except for the SEC and not all of them either plays such a tough conference schedule. It is all about making the top 4 in 2014.

So you would rather play MU. OSU, PSU and Wisconsin every year and basically take your self out of the top 4 right away. Not many teams will play 4 top teams every year except for the SEC and not all of them either plays such a tough conference schedule. It is all about making the top 4 in 2014.

Yes, I would. And when we were in the Big 12, I wanted to play OU and Texas every year. I know it's not a popular opinion. I like big games on big stages on fall Saturdays. IMO, the conference championships are a joke - leave the indoor games in December to the NFL. I understand the other side of the argument. I just don't agree with it.

I fully realize that my opinion holds zero sway with anyone who matters. You know, folks can have a different opinion than yours, and you can still treat them with respect.

No way, man! SCR sets the gold standard around here and the sooner you learn that the better. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I would. And when we were in the Big 12, I wanted to play OU and Texas every year. I know it's not a popular opinion. I like big games on big stages on fall Saturdays. IMO, the conference championships are a joke - leave the indoor games in December to the NFL. I understand the other side of the argument. I just don't agree with it.

We'll still play at least one, if not 2 of those 'name' teams a year with a 9- game conf slate, so what's the downside?

I'm happy we don't have to run that gauntlet annually any more. We took our hazing and now we get a much-deserved reprieve and also get the PSU stain off of our annual schedule finally. Everybody likes 'marquee' games, but if you have 6 of them every year your chance of winning any kind of championship is almost nil. Even if you survive, the toll it takes is evident in the postseason.

let tOSU, PSU and MU beat themselves up...they are used to that. I didn't cry about the Big12 N being weak and I won't say the B1G West is weak. You still have to play the best to win the conference. Every conference /division is similar in competitive balance and has ups and downs and cycles in relative strength. At one point, the Big12 south couldn't compete either. It all comes around.

So let me get this straight. You have no problem with conference basketball, baseball, or volleyball tournaments, but you consider a ccg in football a joke?

Okay...

I'm in the same camp.

Michigan/Wisconsin/Ohio St (in that order) are the 3 games I was most excited to see/attend the last two seasons.

I think we all love those games, but it would not be in our best interest to play those teams every year. Notice the result each time we played on the road vs. those teams. I'm all for playing tough competition and winning championships, but a more manageable schedule gives you a better chance of winning a championship.

I like the East/West...and it is probably the best thing that could have happened for Nebraska imo.

Last edited:
I think we all love those games, but it would not be in our best interest to play those teams every year. Notice the result each time we played on the road vs. those teams. I'm all for playing tough competition and winning championships, but a more manageable schedule gives you a better chance of winning a championship.

I like the East/West...and it is probably the best thing that could have happened for Nebraska imo.

This is true, no argument there. I'm just stating those are the games I looked forward to on the schedule. Ohio St simply because of their history in the league, it felt great to get a W over them in 2011. Michigan, I've always had an itch to see NU match up with them since 1997. Every time it happens, it just brings me back to that year. Wisconsin, naturally because of the "Real Big Red" argument and the NU connects/roots with their AD.

I think a balanced schedule is the way to go. I do not want to be playing the top teams of the other division every year and then likely have to play a rematch in the CCG if we make it. With the 9 game schedule we will always have one if not two of the good teams from the other division on our schedule every year. With the BIG wanting to put big games on TV for ratings I have a feeling they will ensure that.

Plus these things have a way of balancing out. When the Big 12 was formed the North was considered the strong division and the south was the weak division. When the SEC went to divisions the east was considered too strong and the west weak. I think we will see over time a balanced number of champions from both divisions in the BIG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back