• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Adios Legends and Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a visual guy - just mocked this up.

BigTen_zpsa03f4a12.png

So let me get this straight. You have no problem with conference basketball, baseball, or volleyball tournaments, but you consider a ccg in football a joke?

Okay...

What the...? When did I even bring up basketball, baseball or volleyball? Your inventing stuff, so you can argue and make condescending remarks.

We'll still play at least one, if not 2 of those 'name' teams a year with a 9- game conf slate, so what's the downside?

I'm happy we don't have to run that gauntlet annually any more. We took our hazing and now we get a much-deserved reprieve and also get the PSU stain off of our annual schedule finally. Everybody likes 'marquee' games, but if you have 6 of them every year your chance of winning any kind of championship is almost nil. Even if you survive, the toll it takes is evident in the postseason.

let tOSU, PSU and MU beat themselves up...they are used to that. I didn't cry about the Big12 N being weak and I won't say the B1G West is weak. You still have to play the best to win the conference. Every conference /division is similar in competitive balance and has ups and downs and cycles in relative strength. At one point, the Big12 south couldn't compete either. It all comes around.

It's just a difference of opinion. I'd like to play the 2012 schedule every year. It's like a bowl game every Saturday. Ohio St. played basically the same schedule we did last year (Michigan, Michigan St., Wiscy and PSU) and ran the table. Most folks seem to think NU isn't capable of competing at that level. I think we can. You want to be the best, play the best.

I also disagree that playing at least one of the name teams is a guarantee. It's perfectly possible that we have a 2-year rotation with Rutgers, Maryland, and Michigan St. As of right now, Ohio St. is off the schedule for 4 years. Incoming freshman will likely never have the opportunity to visit the Horseshoe, and I think that's a shame.

Regardless, last year at this time NU was guaranteed to play 10 games against Michigan in the coming decade. Now, it looks like 3 or 4 games. Instead, we get Purdue every year. I think it's a bad trade for NU.

So let me get this straight. You have no problem with conference basketball, baseball, or volleyball tournaments, but you consider a ccg in football a joke?

Okay...

What the...? When did I even bring up basketball, baseball or volleyball? Your inventing stuff, so you can argue and make condescending remarks.

How is asking a question condescending?

Perhaps I should have asked if you were okay with those tournaments and left it at that.

Seems like I must have struck a nerve.

How is asking a question condescending?

Perhaps I should have asked if you were okay with those tournaments and left it at that.

Seems like I must have struck a nerve.

That's exactly what you should have done. You want to discuss this stuff, allow for a difference of opinion. You want be "right" about everything, then try the Cafe.

It's just a difference of opinion. I'd like to play the 2012 schedule every year. It's like a bowl game every Saturday. Ohio St. played basically the same schedule we did last year (Michigan, Michigan St., Wiscy and PSU) and ran the table. Most folks seem to think NU isn't capable of competing at that level. I think we can. You want to be the best, play the best.

I also disagree that playing at least one of the name teams is a guarantee. It's perfectly possible that we have a 2-year rotation with Rutgers, Maryland, and Michigan St. As of right now, Ohio St. is off the schedule for 4 years. Incoming freshman will likely never have the opportunity to visit the Horseshoe, and I think that's a shame.

Regardless, last year at this time NU was guaranteed to play 10 games against Michigan in the coming decade. Now, it looks like 3 or 4 games. Instead, we get Purdue every year. I think it's a bad trade for NU.

You are a masochist. Nothing is gained by playing that grueling of a schedule year after year. Fans like it, sure, but that isn't the ony consideration.

I think what this thread shows is that NU fans can be a little bit whiny. But really, this was a no-brainer decision by the B1G. They weren't going to make the same mistake the Big 12 did, and permanently break-up their marquee/cornerstone rivalry. They also weren't going to put PSU in a division that didn't inlcude Maryland and Rutgers, because PSU has been complaining for nearly 20 years to include more eastern based schools. Maybe the East will be the better division, but it'll be a very top heavy division. Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, and a PSU program that'll likely be a shadow of it's former self in the not so distant future? Sounds like a meat-grinder to me.

You are a masochist. Nothing is gained by playing that grueling of a schedule year after year. Fans like it, sure, but that isn't the ony consideration.

I don't think most fans like it. I'm in the minority. If you did a poll, I think 70% of fans would say the prefer the easiest road possible to the CCG.

I don't think most fans like it. I'm in the minority. If you did a poll, I think 70% of fans would say the prefer the easiest road possible to the CCG.

Count me in that 70%. Nobody knows (or cares) how strong or weak Nebraska's schedule was in 1994. All we know is that we won the NC. With the addition of a CCG, that road is already tougher (see 1996, and a host of other Big XII teams whose NC hopes were dashed in the CCG), so if a "weaker" division (including the two-time CCG champ, btw) acts as an express lane to a title game, then I'm all in.

Count me in that 70%. Nobody knows (or cares) how strong or weak Nebraska's schedule was in 1994. All we know is that we won the NC. With the addition of a CCG, that road is already tougher (see 1996, and a host of other Big XII teams whose NC hopes were dashed in the CCG), so if a "weaker" division (including the two-time CCG champ, btw) acts as an express lane to a title game, then I'm all in.

Wow. That's some strong wording. You don't think fans remember that NU crushed #2 CU or beat Miami on their home field? If who we played didn't matter, we'd have split the title with PSU.....or worse yet, PSU could have been the consensus champ and left NU wondering what if?

Last edited:

That's exactly what you should have done. You want to discuss this stuff, allow for a difference of opinion. You want be "right" about everything, then try the Cafe.

Oh, that's what the cafe is for.........I tried strolling through their during the season. It get's ugly in some of those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back