• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Adios Legends and Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's what the cafe is for.........I tried strolling through their during the season. It get's ugly in some of those threads.

I avoid it for the most part. Haven't posted there in years. Every forum is designed around the notion of debate to some extent, but political topics do indeed tend to get ugly in a hurry.

I avoid it for the most part. Haven't posted there in years. Every forum is designed around the notion of debate to some extent, but political topics do indeed tend to get ugly in a hurry.

I'm not sure if I ever posted in any, but I did read a couple posts in one thread, a poster made a comment about the Penn St situation last off season and some how Obama got pulled into the convo, then religion, and then gay rights. All in one thread......I had to sanitize my hard drive from all the filth in that conversation.

This is how 85% of Nebraska's future seasons will look:

IowaWin
WisconsinWin
MinnesotaWin
IllinoisWin
NorthwesternWin
PurdueWin
Big Ten West ChampsDONE

<tbody>
</tbody>
What's the problem?

I'm not sure if I ever posted in any, but I did read a couple posts in one thread, a poster made a comment about the Penn St situation last off season and some how Obama got pulled into the convo, then religion, and then gay rights. All in one thread......I had to sanitize my hard drive from all the filth in that conversation.

It's "Godwin's Law" in action for sure.

This is how 85% of Nebraska's future seasons will look:

Iowa
Win
Wisconsin
Win
Minnesota
Win
Illinois
Win
Northwestern
Win
Purdue
Win
Big Ten West Champs
DONE

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
What's the problem?

Ummm, the CCG against whoever wins the east, which most likely will be tOSU or UM, both of whom will have better recruiting classes than NU 85% of the time. Also, greatness at NU is defined by conference championships and above, not division championships.

Ummm, the CCG against whoever wins the east, which most likely will be tOSU or UM, both of whom will have better recruiting classes than NU 85% of the time. Also, greatness at NU is defined by conference championships and above, not division championships.
Well then every season we have sucked since 1999 in your mind?

Just out of curiosity, how much different is winning a seven team West division over winning the Big 8? We'll be playing more conference games (two more in fact once they expand to a 9-game conference scheduled) in the 14-team B1G compared to the Big 8 days.

Just out of curiosity, how much different is winning a seven team West division over winning the Big 8? We'll be playing more conference games (two more in fact once they expand to a 9-game conference scheduled) in the 14-team B1G compared to the Big 8 days.

I agree. Moving to a 9 game conference schedule and battling for a 7 team division, is damn near equivalent to winning the old Big 8. I think its time to adjust our expectations and appreciate that a division title (be it the Legends, B1G West, or the old XII North) is nothing to scoff at.

Yes, Nebraska Football will always be judged by NCs and conference titles (as well as bowls, 9 win seasons, sell outs and acadmic AAs), but I think discounting a season with a division title is short-sighted.

I think there is value in being battle-tested for lack of a better term. I think it helped immeasurably in 1994 and 1995. Time will tell if teams like Iowa, Purdue, Illinois and Minnesota can step up it up a notch. If they remain fair to middling, it won't do NU any favors when it comes time to play tOSU or Michigan.

You are a masochist. Nothing is gained by playing that grueling of a schedule year after year. Fans like it, sure, but that isn't the ony consideration.

Bingo! Scheduling is an art form. You want to present a challenge, but you don't want to hammer the team game after game with must wins. I still think that was a major factor in the blow- out loss in the CCG. Too much pressure through the six straight wins. Team loses a couple of important cogs in the last game, but probably relaxes a little from the relief of winning. Makes for a bit of a let-down.

Say what you want Bout the SEC,but most of the top teams take an epic breather before they tackle the stretch run.

Imagine if NU had played Idaho the week after Michigan.

I agree. Moving to a 9 game conference schedule and battling for a 7 team division, is damn near equivalent to winning the old Big 8. I think its time to adjust our expectations and appreciate that a division title (be it the Legends, B1G West, or the old XII North) is nothing to scoff at.

Yes, Nebraska Football will always be judged by NCs and conference titles (as well as bowls, 9 win seasons, sell outs and acadmic AAs), but I think discounting a season with a division title is short-sighted.

Well, we're comparing completely different eras. When NU won the Big 8 in 1971 the conference ended up #1, 2, 3 in the final poll. When they won it in 1995 they had four teams in the final Top Ten poll. Sure, they had fewer teams to wade through back then, but the talent base wasn't as diluted as it is now. Don't get me wrong, I think it's more difficult to win in a lot of ways in today's environment, and I'm not scoffing at or discounting division titles; however, in historical context I don't believe that's how greatness at NU is defined. Winning division titles is obviously part of the "process" to being great, but it still ranks well below conference championships, BCS games, and MNC's, no matter how you slice it.

Let me put it to you this way: If I told you five years ago which teams were going to be in the B1G East would you have shuttered in fear or scoffed at what a wussy division that is? Thought so.

Let me put it to you this way: If I told you five years ago which teams were going to be in the B1G East would you have shuttered in fear or scoffed at what a wussy division that is? Thought so.

Well, five years ago (2008) the vaunted East division had three of the bottom four teams in the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back