• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A very fair, national take (video)

I really do think a offensive coordinator could bring some rhyme or reason to what we are doing. Not just one in title.
It could. But it won't happen. Unless you're suggesting using the unused one currently on staff.thats a possibility. Should have happened during the off season.

Thanks for sharing, that’s a really good take. No reason we can’t get to the level of the Iowas and Wisconsins of the football world. We’re just probably going to have to hope that the next coach is the one to get us there……
Quick google found me stat that in 2015 Nebraska had 6 FBS recuits graduate high school vs. 20 for Iowa and 21 for Wisconsin. Both those schools are also closer to larger pop centers in our league than we are and better academically, and so are generally more attractive to recruits. All else being equal we shouldn't expect to be as good as them in the long run.

That's hardly insurmountable though during any years we have better coaches than they do. From time to time we might have a better coach, but of course there's no reason to believe we will consistently have better coaches.

It wouldn't be at all suprising if for the next 20 years our coaches and records ave about what they have for the last 20 years. If there is anything to argue we will do better it will be we might luck into an 8-9 wins a year coach and keep him, realizing a trained monkey actually couldn't win 9 games at Nebraska, unlike what many of us, including me, used to think.

Last edited:
There may be ways to fix the program. But it cannot be with any half way measures of changing this aspect or this other aspect.

Our HFC has to go, the sooner the better. Tomorrow would not be too soon. Giving this full year to him would be a waste of another year.

Then realisim would have to set into the entire organization about who could replace him and what our goals should be.. Anyone who said 8 wins or more this year were realistic in the poll of how many wins we would have must reset their expectations. I thought we had an outside chance at 6. I may have been way too optimistic.

For those who say earlier coaches have screwed up the culture, take a good hard look at what this HC has done to the culture. We are where we are not because of Bo, Callahan or Riley. No way, no how.

To test that idea, suppose we had hired Campbell instead of Frost. Where do you think we would have been now?

It could. But it won't happen. Unless you're suggesting using the unused one currently on staff.thats a possibility. Should have happened during the off season.
Agreed. Hell at least we could blame the coordinator for the poor O if we had one that called plays. It didn’t stop some for the last guy we ran out of town-can’t remember his name or maybe he quit. Lots claiming he was the problem with our O a couple years ago. We just never look like we have any rhythm to our play calling.

A lot of good points. One of them is what are you going to do, quit?

That's what too many are doing right now. It is wayyyy to early in the season to be doing this and nothing good will come of it. This defeatist mindset has taken over the fan base at the worst moment. I mean, what are we going to accomplish when it isn't even September yet. Coaching changes are not on the horizon until toward the end of the season and recruits are going to be chased off and it is going to be a 3 month bloodletting the route we are going.

Last edited:
Agreed. Hell at least we could blame the coordinator for the poor O if we had one that called plays. It didn’t stop some for the last guy we ran out of town-can’t remember his name or maybe he quit. Lots claiming he was the problem with our O a couple years ago. We just never look like we have any rhythm to our play calling.
Illinois had receivers running wide open, with a Rutgers rejected qb completing easy passes.

Everything we get is a struggle.

Weird
It's like we have a system that doesn't work with the players we have.
I think we need to go heavy on the zone read, although AM doesn't seem to read that well, lately. Our dual threat needs to get the opportunity to be dual threat

A lot of good points. One of them is what are you going to do, quit?

That's what too many are doing right now. It is wayyyy to early in the season to be doing this and nothing good will come of it. This defeatist mindset has taken over the fan base at the worst moment. I mean, what are we going to accomplish when it isn't even September yet. Coaching changes are not on the horizon until toward the end of the season and recruits are going to be chased off and it is going to be a 3 month bloodletting the route we are going.
To the person.. That was a must MUST win game. SF blew it

Great video very objective feelings have nothing to do with performance HCSF Needs to go And TREB needs to already get his ducks lined up in a row for the buyout Plan

I had hoped we might win 6 or 7 this year on better talent, but silently suspected if we did we would probably also see a couple more wins we might have won but for poor game prep and game day coaching.

Maybe Illinois will have been one of those and we'll still make 6? Either way, there are now so many data points evidincing Frost's critical weaknesses it's impossible to ignore. He's got some strengths but better coaches will keep taking his lunch money. And the kind of weaknesses he has don't seem like the kinds of things coaches could get better at, or hire assistants to help with. For that matter I don't even think he can see them himself, which makes them really hard to fix.

I don't feel I have any reason to be mad at him for not being better at this. And I don't really care if he goes this year or next if Trev wants to give him a little extra time to make changes or whatever since he is a legacy. But any notion he could still grow into this is already untenable, imo.

Last edited:

I had hoped we might win 6 or 7 this year on better talent, but silently suspected if we did we would probably also see a couple more wins we might have won but for poor game prep and game day coaching.

Maybe Illinois will have been one of those and we'll still make 6? Either way, there are now so many data points evidincing Frost's critical weaknesses it's impossible to ignore. He's got some strengths but better coaches will keep taking his lunch money. And the kind of weaknesses he has don't seem like the kinds of things coaches could get better at, or hire assistants to help with. For that matter I don't even think he can see them himself, which makes them really hard to fix.
He apparently did not hand over play calling. So that's a BINGO

Quick google found me stat that in 2015 Nebraska had 6 FBS recuits graduate high school vs. 20 for Iowa and 21 for Wisconsin. Both those schools are also closer to larger pop centers in our league than we are and better academically, and so are generally more attractive to recruits. All else being equal we shouldn't expect to be as good as them in the long run.

That's hardly insurmountable though during any years we have better coaches than they do. From time to time we might have a better coach, but of course there's no reason to believe we will consistently have better coaches.

It wouldn't be at all suprising if for the next 20 years our coaches and records ave about what they have for the last 20 years. If there is anything to argue we will do better it will be we might luck into an 8-9 wins a year coach and keep him, realizing a trained monkey actually couldn't win 9 games at Nebraska, unlike what many of us, including me, used to think.

Our average recruiting class rank over the past five years is higher than Iowa or Wisconsin. We're not losing to them because of a lack of talent (in state or otherwise).

We have just as good, if not better facilities and resources.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't buy the argument that we can't get back to a level comparable to Iowa and Wisconsin.

Our average recruiting class rank over the past five years is higher than Iowa or Wisconsin. We're not losing to them because of a lack of talent (in state or otherwise).

We have just as good, if not better facilities and resources.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't buy the argument that we can't get back to a level comparable to Iowa and Wisconsin.
That is a fair point and I'd thought of it. But I think we've still been selling a return to glory story which still kind of appeals, but which is becoming more tenuous each year. And we have a charismatic HC with a back- story that made a return to glory plausible. Long run I can't see why we would outrecruit Wisky or Iowa though.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back