• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

99 scholarship players.

I’m not sure but I don’t recall going into fall camp 10 over.
Are you sure we are? And whats to change it? The 85 is a defined guideline. Is the ncaa going to say punish the last ten, or whomever you wish or you can no longer have this kid or that kid on your roster?

Listen to what MR is saying. Its the end number, not the 85
Is that number 115?

Last edited:
Are you sure we are? And whats to change it? The 85 is a defined guideline. Is the ncaa going to say punish the last ten, or whomever you wish or you can no longer have this kid or that kid on your roster?

Listen to what MR is saying. Its the end number, not the 85
Is that number 115?
Stop spinning it. You know dang well it’s not a guideline. We can only offer 85 scholarships.

I’m just wondering who the ten guys are going to be that lose scholarships. Evidently nobody believes it’s gonna happen.
We're talking 85 guys and 99 guys. So aren't you really wondering which 85 have a scholarship and which 14, not 10, are getting money from someplace else, NIL, to be able to stay and play?

Unless you think those 14 will be getting kicked out since there will be no portal opportunities for them to transfer between now and next season.

8uocv9.jpg

I’m giving this one last try. 85 scholarships. A roster greater than 85. For discussion, let’s say 120, give or take. Coach Rhule appears very comfortable with this. Not just the numbers but the players who make up those numbers. That’s a really good start for me.

Every player is going to get a combination of the following: his personal resources; an athletic scholarship; and/or NIL money. Every player has his deal with Coach Rhule in place right now. So for 2024, the numbers and the money are baked in. It’s done.

Maybe there are 100 guys identified as “scholarship” players, but it doesn’t matter what it’s called if you are a player. It means their expenses — room/board, tuition, and some expenses — are being covered by the program. Again, perhaps 85 are full athletic scholarship (and some additional NIL), while some are partial NIL/partial scholarship, and some are just NIL. The key common element is that ALL of their expenses are covered so they are going to identify as “scholarship” players. Not PWO. Not WO. Scholarship. Paid. Whatever. Their expenses are covered.

Any other scenario suggests that Coach Rhule is running a con on his players and the entire Husker Nation. Does that seem possible to you? Likely? Even remotely likely? Not to me.

So let’s address the other issue, which I think is worth discussing, but over time. Apportionment. Who gets what, basically. Either who gets more than 100% expenses (the better players/recruits) or who gets some portion of the 100% expenses (the back end of the roster.) This is interesting but not an issue in the moment. It’s a rolling discussion, both because recruiting is a rolling process and NIL funds will continue to be refreshed and grow.

The suggestion is that funds are finite and some players will need to be “cut” or have their scholarships taken away. Why? The funds are there, obviously. The better questions are AFTER the 2024 season, who gets their deal renegotiated and how is the money spent? How are funds apportioned among players on the roster and with new recruits? Will it matter if enough NIL funds roll in to cover not just four/five star recruits but also players who become all-conference level performers? Are current roster players rewarded? Are funds saved for recruits? Both (likely)? But I’m curious about methodology.

The bottom line is that I trust Coach Rhule’s approach and ability to evaluate his players, recruit for his program, and manage the individual relationships. Period.

We're talking 85 guys and 99 guys. So aren't you really wondering which 85 have a scholarship and which 14, not 10, are getting money from someplace else, NIL, to be able to stay and play?

Unless you think those 14 will be getting kicked out since there will be no portal opportunities for them to transfer between now and next season.
That is the basis of the thread. Which 10 will not be on scholarship. We have to lose that many. Will they stay and play for NIL. Quite possibly. How much I don’t know. In the past it was walkon status but with all these transfers coming from places they were already on scholarship I would think they were offered a scholarship. That’s why all the media sites list them on the scholarship chart and not the walkon chart.

If they were recruited as no scholarship NIL I wouldn’t think they would be on the scholarship list.

I’m giving this one last try. 85 scholarships. A roster greater than 85. For discussion, let’s say 120, give or take. Coach Rhule appears very comfortable with this. Not just the numbers but the players who make up those numbers. That’s a really good start for me.

Every player is going to get a combination of the following: his personal resources; an athletic scholarship; and/or NIL money. Every player has his deal with Coach Rhule in place right now. So for 2024, the numbers and the money are baked in. It’s done.

Maybe there are 100 guys identified as “scholarship” players, but it doesn’t matter what it’s called if you are a player. It means their expenses — room/board, tuition, and some expenses — are being covered by the program. Again, perhaps 85 are full athletic scholarship (and some additional NIL), while some are partial NIL/partial scholarship, and some are just NIL. The key common element is that ALL of their expenses are covered so they are going to identify as “scholarship” players. Not PWO. Not WO. Scholarship. Paid. Whatever. Their expenses are covered.

Any other scenario suggests that Coach Rhule is running a con on his players and the entire Husker Nation. Does that seem possible to you? Likely? Even remotely likely? Not to me.

So let’s address the other issue, which I think is worth discussing, but over time. Apportionment. Who gets what, basically. Either who gets more than 100% expenses (the better players/recruits) or who gets some portion of the 100% expenses (the back end of the roster.) This is interesting but not an issue in the moment. It’s a rolling discussion, both because recruiting is a rolling process and NIL funds will continue to be refreshed and grow.

The suggestion is that funds are finite and some players will need to be “cut” or have their scholarships taken away. Why? The funds are there, obviously. The better questions are AFTER the 2024 season, who gets their deal renegotiated and how is the money spent? How are funds apportioned among players on the roster and with new recruits? Will it matter if enough NIL funds roll in to cover not just four/five star recruits but also players who become all-conference level performers? Are current roster players rewarded? Are funds saved for recruits? Both (likely)? But I’m curious about methodology.

The bottom line is that I trust Coach Rhule’s approach and ability to evaluate his players, recruit for his program, and manage the individual relationships. Period.
What do you mean the funds are there. NIL isn’t an open check book. If the top 10 guys are averaging 200k, the next 40 are averaging 20k and the final 35 are averaging 2k, why would spending 20k each on guys 86-100 make sense? No program has ever had to give scholarship level money to those final 14. It has always been a walk on.

Yep. Right now its about roster flip, making our lowest athlete today at a level three deep three years ago.
Once things settle out there, and presuming we start winning and getting higher rated recruits, the models still there, it already exist, a players value is a players value, then having greater overall talent will make it harder for the lower end to maintain its level assuming more monies will be going to higher end recruits.
But will more wins bring more monies at a sustainable rate?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back