• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

99 scholarship players.

Not saying he doesn't know, but I don't think Rhule has the right to know. NIL is a private business deal between the player and who pays for the NIL deal.

The only thing I now wonder is why you didn't just start a thread titled is Rhule doing something shady. Clearly this didn't just all of a sudden come to you today so you felt a need to insert that into the discussion. Come on, we've gone from what are we going to do to get down to 85 scholarships to is Rhule bending the rules to get to 85. You might as well of just started it that way and saved us all some time.
I have not said he is bending the rules. You guys with your made up scenarios are. I’m just trying to rationalize why you guys think he would do this. Wouldn’t the simplist solution be to get down to 85 scholarships like it’s required to be? That was the purpose of the thread. How will he go about reaching 85. But posters kept describing scenarios to be at 100

So Rhule doesn’t know what the deal is and 1889 chooses to fund the additional 15 at scholarship level based on what they think Rhule might want. Wow. You can spin it faster than a washing machine.
What does the word priority mean to you? Not having a clue when you want private dealings to occur or relating the importance to one half of those doing the dealing?
Go back and look and see where I said that.
Here I'll do it for you

Last edited:
If he doesn't know and he sends them to 1890, only they know. Priorities I'm sure are shared. The deals are not
Again you are suggesting that Rhule has set the priorities for how NIL is to be spent for 15 additional scholarships. That doesn’t make sense to me. Everyone seems to think the plan is to have 10-15 addition scholarship level funded players.

I’m simply believing we should get down to 85.

@NorthwoodHusker
@Hville

tumblr_njqda02wcb1ry1rm7o3_500.gif

Again you are suggesting that Rhule has set the priorities for how NIL is to be spent for 15 additional scholarships. That doesn’t make sense to me. Everyone seems to think the plan is to have 10-15 addition scholarship level funded players.

So you'd rather just have 85 and spend the NIL money on them rather then see that money used for a player that entered the transfer portal?

So you'd rather just have 85 and spend the NIL money on them rather then see that money used for a player that entered the transfer portal?
I feel that coaches need to constantly utilize the recruiting of high schools, junior colleges and the transfer portal to get the best 85 they can. In the NIL world it’s pretty obvious that NIL can effect this quality.

As part of this you have to effectively recruit AND replace players that are going to be shifted downward on the depth chart. I believe we should use NIL money to get the best 85 and continue to utilize the walkon program as we have the last 40 years as something they pay themselves or earn their way into the 85.

It seems some posters want to use NIL to turn the 85 into 100 scholarship players. Those last 15 could take up as much NIL resources as 35-85 combined.

Last edited:
I feel that coaches need to constantly utilize the recruiting of high schools, junior colleges and the transfer portal to get the best 85 they can. In the NIL world it’s pretty obvious that NIL can effect this quality.

As part of this you have to effectively recruit AND replace players that are going to be shifted downward on the depth chart. I believe we should use NIL money to get the best 85 and continue to utilize the walkon program as we have the last 40 years as something they pay themselves or earn their way into the 85.

It seems some posters want to use NIL to turn the 85 into 100 scholarship players. Those last 15 could take up as much NIL resources as 35-85 combined.
I understand what you'd like to see, but today we can't live with what's worked for the past 40 years when NIL didn't exist, it would put us at a huge disadvantage.

We may not like it, but it's keep up or get left behind. NIL is not being used to give the 85 more, it's being used for players from the portal.

Do you feel a player that was part of team A's 85 scholarships is looking to be one of 85 scholarships with team B, or did he leave looking for a NIL deal? Most are looking for a NIL deal and schools where NIL funds are available will be happy to take a portal player if he can work a NIL deal and not have to use one of the 85 scholarships. Could this put a team in a position where they have 85 scholarship players and 14 more that worked a NIL deal, yes that is possible. But the alternative could be one of the 85 being asked to leave because team B found what they feel is a better player in the portal and want to give him the scholarship that is currently going to another player.

You want to upgrade the 85 scholarship players with NIL funds, but the way it's working now the lesser player with one of the current 85 scholarships doesn't have it taken from him because a better player showed up out of the portal. At least that's the way it looks to me.

I understand what you'd like to see, but today we can't live with what's worked for the past 40 years when NIL didn't exist, it would put us at a huge disadvantage.

We may not like it, but it's keep up or get left behind. NIL is not being used to give the 85 more, it's being used for players from the portal.

Do you feel a player that was part of team A's 85 scholarships is looking to be one of 85 scholarships with team B, or did he leave looking for a NIL deal? Most are looking for a NIL deal and schools where NIL funds are available will be happy to take a portal player if he can work a NIL deal and not have to use one of the 85 scholarships. Could this put a team in a position where they have 85 scholarship players and 14 more that worked a NIL deal, yes that is possible. But the alternative could be one of the 85 being asked to leave because team B found what they feel is a better player in the portal and want to give him the scholarship that is currently going to another player.

You want to upgrade the 85 scholarship players with NIL funds, but the way it's working now the lesser player with one of the current 85 scholarships doesn't have it taken from him because a better player showed up out of the portal. At least that's the way it looks to me.
It’s always been the situation where better players get replaced. Every team has gotten down to 85. There is zero reason to believe keeping up means having more people on scholarship.

You seem to be implying that I believe we should be passing on talent in the transfer portal. No not at all. But you have to manage your 85.

I’m watching moneyball right now and that is exactly what they are doing. If they make a trade they get rid of someone.

As far as guys coming because of NIL money? I do t think that is the driving force for the majority of them. It’s still mostly playing time. You can’t get high dollar NIL on the bench. Yes they are likely seeing a boost in their NIL at Nebraska.

But here is the thing. If you really think they are transferring for NIL money what use is the money if it goes towards a scholarship you aren’t getting.

I’m watching moneyball right now and that is exactly what they are doing. If they make a trade they get rid of someone.
Guess we'll just have to disagree. I'd rather have 85 on scholarship, and if we can add a few from the portal through NIL that's better than telling 14 guys to take a hike.

I have no inside info on the camp players as to what their situations are, but several have been what some fans are calling reaches.
Now that just may be and its likely they aren't promised scholarships however, when the staff evals players they may not be guys getting Bama looks because they're too thin, or their coaching hasn't been that good.
But having them get partial or full scholarship pay seems to be happening, and for a few already year one, its paying off.
Also, what we haven't seen are guys foregoing our offers and going to lesser schools. What I mean here is they are offered what the staff considers their value, if that amount is only partial scholarship pay, the lesser school may be offering full pay, full scholly.
These are the things I'm looking at, to see how the staffs evals are doing and see how much this approach helps the team.
When partial pay or pure walkons start contributing more than our old walkon approach did we will know its working quite well.

Guess we'll just have to disagree. I'd rather have 85 on scholarship, and if we can add a few from the portal through NIL that's better than telling 14 guys to take a hike.
I’m kind of assuming that Rhule might have over extended a bit at high school level not anticipating the success they were going to have later in the transfer portal. It’s also possible the late addition of Raiola fueled those transfer opportunitie.

I personally thought last year we went a little deep early on some three stars. I thought if he had a big turn around he could have upgraded some three stars. I feel the same way this year. If we go 7-0 I think our ability to raise our average star talent significantly is possible. But not if we already have a bunch of 3 stars committed.

Would it surprise you to know that you've made that position abundantly clear many pages ago?

You insinuate that Rhule has no plan or that he is making a mistake. OK, you've been heard. Me personally? I think this is a great way to lean into the advantages Nebraska has had historically, and has the resources to maintain currently.

We'll have to see how the new revenue distribution model affects what this looks like going forward. But if someone says he knows what that's going to be right now, they're lying to you.

It’s always been the situation where better players get replaced. Every team has gotten down to 85. There is zero reason to believe keeping up means having more people on scholarship.

You seem to be implying that I believe we should be passing on talent in the transfer portal. No not at all. But you have to manage your 85.

As far as guys coming because of NIL money? I do t think that is the driving force for the majority of them. It’s still mostly playing time. You can’t get high dollar NIL on the bench. Yes they are likely seeing a boost in their NIL at Nebraska.

But here is the thing. If you really think they are transferring for NIL money what use is the money if it goes towards a scholarship you aren’t

Would it surprise you to know that you've made that position abundantly clear many pages ago?

You insinuate that Rhule has no plan or that he is making a mistake. OK, you've been heard. Me personally? I think this is a great way to lean into the advantages Nebraska has had historically, and has the resources to maintain currently.

We'll have to see how the new revenue distribution model affects what this looks like going forward. But if someone says he knows what that's going to be right now, they're lying to you.
Agree. I will always defer to Coach Rhule’s judgment about what size roster he wants, whatever the number. He knows what will work for him. And he knows the players he wants on that roster, regardless of stars. This has been clear with how he has approached recruiting from day one. He is VERY strategic. And very focused on HIS guys. And guys who will be a good fit in Lincoln. (Compare this to the recruiting nonsense of Callahan, for one example, who threw out offers to stars but paid no attention to fit or culture, among other misses; not shockingly, guys did not stick around.) Rhule also leans hard into developing excellent football players from excellent athletes. Maybe some guys won’t develop as hoped, but I appreciate his track record (no pun intended). I also appreciate that this approach demands a bigger roster to absorb development. And patience. He knows this. It’s obvious how he’s going about things. He’s a deliberate guy, with a plan. And the plan obviously is incorporating NIL, transfers, and all the opportunities the new college football allows.

Nice. I like how posters attack my posts regarding being 10 guys strong as if Im making something up. And their only solutions are skirt the system and rules. It’s like a cult…..we shouldn’t talk about it. The only reason it appears like he might have made a mistake is…..he might have. We ARE 10 heavy and it needs to be dealt with.

Sorry if I offended you by offering up a discussion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back