• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

99 scholarship players.

It’s not about offering top guys. That has to absolutely continue. It’s about having the money to upgrade that middle section and not waste it on the walkon program. Rosters need to be managed at 85 scholarships. I still don’t understand the concept of dropping 20k nil on each guy from the 85-100 range and only dropping 5K each on 45-85.
It wasn't that long ago I remember discussions about how we're losing good walkon players to smaller schools like South Dakota State or others like that. Players we would have normally had in the past as walkons, but with the higher cost of education we are now losing those players. I remember the names tossed out there as examples of players that walked on and became great players for Nebraska.

But with NIL and the opportunity for some of those guys to get some or part of their education paid they are now willing to walkon again, rather than continue at the smaller school. Now with NIL we seem to be getting back a few of the better players that went somewhere else rather than walkon here, and doing the same with high school players.

If you don't want to see NIL money as being wasted on walkons, you have a right to that opinion, but I hope you can understand why no one agrees with you. If you don't like this, I have a feeling you're going to hate the future when it comes to NIL.

I could really see the NIL taking us back to a time before the 85 scholarship limit. You know the good old days when schools with big money gave out scholarships just to keep players from going to other schools, stockpile them to maybe be used later. Now with NIL the big money schools go after as many as they can over the 85 just to keep them there instead of with someone else. Of course the portal is available now so they can leave, but they will find the NIL deals will have that covered. I think this is why the NCAA will have to do something to limit roster size to keep the big money schools from grabbing so many players. So in the end the walkon program will be limited because of that. Like I said you're going to hate the future.

I’m not saying they are getting any. I’m responding to the posters who say we do t need to get down to 85 scholarships because we can use NIL money to pay their scholarships instead of showing them the door.
I think there was an instance in one of my links where a Michigan grad student gave up his schollie, stayed on the team and went nil.
This was done, so is yet another path towards reducing to that 85

It wasn't that long ago I remember discussions about how we're losing good walkon players to smaller schools like South Dakota State or others like that. Players we would have normally had in the past as walkons, but with the higher cost of education we are now losing those players. I remember the names tossed out there as examples of players that walked on and became great players for Nebraska.

But with NIL and the opportunity for some of those guys to get some or part of their education paid they are now willing to walkon again, rather than continue at the smaller school. Now with NIL we seem to be getting back a few of the better players that went somewhere else rather than walkon here, and doing the same with high school players.

If you don't want to see NIL money as being wasted on walkons, you have a right to that opinion, but I hope you can understand why no one agrees with you. If you don't like this, I have a feeling you're going to hate the future when it comes to NIL.

I could really see the NIL taking us back to a time before the 85 scholarship limit. You know the good old days when schools with big money gave out scholarships just to keep players from going to other schools, stockpile them to maybe be used later. Now with NIL the big money schools go after as many as they can over the 85 just to keep them there instead of with someone else. Of course the portal is available now so they can leave, but they will find the NIL deals will have that covered. I think this is why the NCAA will have to do something to limit roster size to keep the big money schools from grabbing so many players. So in the end the walkon program will be limited because of that. Like I said you're going to hate the future.
Yep, see osus qb room. There's some money spent there. Wonder how long some realize though the monies good they're not getting the reps or playing time money just can't buy.

I'm really not that concerned with losing good walkon players to small schools. Id much rather use our NIL money to attract players that are considered 4 stars. Yes there are some diamonds in the rough that were discovered or developed during TO and Bo that were willing to walk on and be discovered. However, the truth of the matter we have very little significant production from walkons. If they become that good they are given a scholarship. Most of the production we have gotten out of them in the last 8-10 years was because of our recruiting and development failures under the last two coaches that made us dip into the lower levels.

I hardly see a couple of guys arguing their view as nobody agreeing with me. I haven't developed this idea on my own. I have a fairly vast circle of friends and ex players that have educated me to my thoughts. They are the ones telling me that the bottom third of the 85 are getting crumbs from NIL. Less than a few grand a year.

Common sense in our discussions has told us if we want better players use the money to upgrade the players that are going to be on the field. Don't waste your limited money on guys not likely to play. If you have to spend a large amount of money to go after transfers above and beyond the original 85 because they are such a great improvement, then you need to ask yourselves how valuable are the scholarships being wasted on the guy that just got pushed down a notch on the depth chart.

I think there was an instance in one of my links where a Michigan grad student gave up his schollie, stayed on the team and went nil.
This was done, so is yet another path towards reducing to that 85
It absolutely is a path. The question is at what level of NIL funding. Will he get the same 2-5K that many in that scholarship picking order get or do they give him 20K to cover his scholarship plus some spending money that he would have gotten with the scholarship. I just don't see giving up 20K to the guy.

It absolutely is a path. The question is at what level of NIL funding. Will he get the same 2-5K that many in that scholarship picking order get or do they give him 20K to cover his scholarship plus some spending money that he would have gotten with the scholarship. I just don't see giving up 20K to the guy.
Thats the question. We have to let the old rigid way of thought end. Full scholly or bust.
Now is there a certain rigid value? I don't think it'll be say five grand for every one either. Depending on need and staff eval the money level changes.
Likely a found or known good enough minimum? Possibly

I hardly see a couple of guys arguing their view as nobody agreeing with me. I haven't developed this idea on my own. I have a fairly vast circle of friends and ex players that have educated me to my thoughts. They are the ones telling me that the bottom third of the 85 are getting crumbs from NIL. Less than a few grand a year.

Common sense in our discussions has told us if we want better players use the money to upgrade the players that are going to be on the field. Don't waste your limited money on guys not likely to play. If you have to spend a large amount of money to go after transfers above and beyond the original 85 because they are such a great improvement, then you need to ask yourselves how valuable are the scholarships being wasted on the guy that just got pushed down a notch on the depth chart.
Sorry, I was talking about people that are here and part of the discussion, or has the discussion you wanted turned into an argument.

As to the second bold, has someone here suggested the lower end of the 85 are getting a lot of NIL money. You are the one that came up with the 5K number so I've just used the number you came up with rather than suggest that number may be higher or lower.

To the third bold. I see NIL being used today when a portal players becomes available and his position is a position of need for us. The scholarship guy at that position may not have worked out as planned, he is injured, or the portal guy is just better. If NIL offers a chance for the portal guy to come here, even though we already have 85 players on scholarship, that seems like a win for us. Can that guy on scholarship beat out the portal guy, maybe, but if not it's quite possible he will now enter the portal. That's just the way things are done today.

For me I have no problem the way Rhule is doing things. Now if we were talking Deon where he tries to wipe the slate clean each year to hopefully start over with better players, I wouldn't agree with that approach to the use of NIL funds. I don't think Deon has had double digit high school recruits since he's been at Colorado, but I see Rhule making big strides in high school recruiting doing it his way.

As to the second bold, has someone here suggested the lower end of the 85 are getting a lot of NIL money. You are the one that came up with the 5K number so I've just used the number you came up with rather than suggest that number may be higher or lower.
Nobody is suggesting my numbers are wrong. What they are doing is not understanding my point of wasting NIL money for scholarships creating a huge discrepancy in NIL money between player number 40 and player number 95. It doesn't make logical sense until the NCAA or the courts allow us to use University money to fund more scholarships.

If this were a real issue (the non-star 85 players getting insufficient funds) we would see a pattern of guys leaving because they got a better offer. This past season that was certainly not the case. In fact, quite the opposite. Nebraska was notable for having nearly the lowest portal entry rate among its peers nationally.

You’re arguing to try and create an issue where there is strong evidence that there is not one.

We all agree that the 20M shared revenue model remains to be fleshed out. But setting that aside, you’re wringing your hands ver a non issue.

To the third bold. I see NIL being used today when a portal players becomes available and his position is a position of need for us. The scholarship guy at that position may not have worked out as planned, he is injured, or the portal guy is just better. If NIL offers a chance for the portal guy to come here, even though we already have 85 players on scholarship, that seems like a win for us. Can that guy on scholarship beat out the portal guy, maybe, but if not it's quite possible he will now enter the portal. That's just the way things are done today.
I absolutely agree with this statement. But some valuable questions have to be asked. Including if we bring this guy on..........who on scholarship is going to lose playing time or not even be in consideration for playing time. At that point you make the tough decision to manage your roster appropriately and jetison someone from scholarship. They can still earn NIL, but not at a commitment level of 20K when other fourth stringers are only making 2K.

My whole purpose of this thread is to discuss who could be jettisoned to get down from 99/95 to the 85. This is mandatory and no amount of arguing it can change that. Posters have wanted to say nobody because they believe there is unlimited NIL money available to have 10 more scholarships. I don't think that is smart.

If this were a real issue (the non-star 85 players getting insufficient funds) we would see a pattern of guys leaving because they got a better offer. This past season that was certainly not the case. In fact, quite the opposite. Nebraska was notable for having nearly the lowest portal entry rate among its peers nationally.

You’re arguing to try and create an issue where there is strong evidence that there is not one.

We all agree that the 20M shared revenue model remains to be fleshed out. But setting that aside, you’re wringing your hands ver a non issue.
I don't see players not entering the portal because of NIL opportunities as necessarily a positive. Maybe they are just happy to have a scholarship at Nebraska and don't feel they can do any better anywhere else. I think Rhule has done a great job of getting players through the portal and I think he will continue that. But I think it needs to be viewed as REPLACING players rather than ADDING players using our NIL funds.

I think we need to get our entire top 85 talent up about another 1/2 star. I'd rather we spent our NIL money on that rather than protect a "fourth stringer" or encourage a Dakota player to come on with NIL money instead of a scholarship. If we are missing out on that Dakota player because we aren't' offering him a scholarship than how many other major programs are doing that? If we are the only one using NIL money to give him "scholarship" equal financing than why isn't Wisconsin, Minnesota, Colorado and Iowa. They are just as close.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back