• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

99 scholarship players.

The key is we've gone 12 pages in this thread and no one really knows what the university says the current scholarship number is. At least I've never seen an official number as of yet.

Almost forgot, I don't think it is set at 120 yet, we have more than that.
You may be right and that is the fear. Some walkons just want to be walk ons, Some nerd who's never played shouldn't control their fate.

No. I wasn't hung up on all that stuff. I'm hung up on wondering how he will get to the 85. You have taken that personal. Automatically assuming that there is some type of accusations by me of cheating or immorality going on in his process. Contrarily the only ones who seem to be doing that is the guys trying to cheat the 85 scholarship limits or those saying he should be use NIL money to recruit more players. I'm not saying it's wrong but I'm not all over this board suggesting ways that Rhule do it.
None of this is personal. I don’t know you. I only know your words on this site. I, and several others, disagree with those opinions. You’re questioning how Coach Rhule gets from 99 scholarships to the current limit of 85. Understood. I personally think it’s a non-issue because NIL funds can cover the slots, meaning that the expenses of those players to remain on the roster can be alternatively funded by NIL rather than scholarship resources. You’ve raised the point that those NIL funds would be better spent on more highly-rated players or roster spots 1-45. I disagree. I think the funds are being used exactly how Coach Rhule wants to spend them, including specifically to build a roster from 1-120 of the guys he has scouted and determined to be the best fit for the program. We’ll see how that unfolds over time. In the meanwhile I see no indication that any player is getting kicked to the curb involuntarily, whether or not their place in the program is being funded by a scholarship. Nor do I see any potential for anyone or the program to be penalized by any college football or other authority, including the B1G, the NCAA, the FBS, etc.

Heres one guys opinion

I think this guy has the same problem Hville has, he's using the word scholarship too loosely.

There are 85 scholarships paid for by the university, that's it, that's all the scholarships there are. If a walkon makes the team he was to pay his way, and if he's good enough some day he may get a scholarship where the university pays for him to go to school. At least that's the way it used to be.

But we now have, let's call them, portal walkons who because of their already proven ability on a different team, have procured NIL money to pay for their schooling. This has nothing to do with scholarships, this is just a player finding someone willing to pay his way so he can play here. If 85 of these guys wanted to play here and were able to find the funds there is nothing wrong with that. Well unless the NCAA has a rule that says you can't have 170 guys on your roster. Hmmm maybe that's why the NCAA is thinking of limiting roster size.

I think this guy has the same problem Hville has, he's using the word scholarship too loosely.

There are 85 scholarships paid for by the university, that's it, that's all the scholarships there are. If a walkon makes the team he was to pay his way, and if he's good enough some day he may get a scholarship where the university pays for him to go to school. At least that's the way it used to be.

But we now have, let's call them, portal walkons who because of their already proven ability on a different team, have procured NIL money to pay for their schooling. This has nothing to do with scholarships, this is just a player finding someone willing to pay his way so he can play here. If 85 of these guys wanted to play here and were able to find the funds there is nothing wrong with that. Well unless the NCAA has a rule that says you can't have 170 guys on your roster. Hmmm maybe that's why the NCAA is thinking of limiting roster size.
He does bring up both sides of the argument in that you can use the loophole. He also states it breaks the spirit of the rule. However that isn’t my biggest concern. I certainly don’t think Rhule is doing anything illegal and don’t have a problem with skirting the rules a tad.

I take it a step farther. In that I don’t believe we are as flush with NIL money as many think. I hate to be dumping a bunch of NIL money on guys that have traditionally been walk on quality.

Some are thinking that means I think we shouldn’t have brought in the transfers. I don’t mean that. I think we should have gone a little lighter at high school this year and/or reduce the roster with some that are likely to be non-contributors.

Use their 20k somewhere else.

Its 120 before first game. Here is MR's best quote imo

Right now, Demitrius Bell is out for the year, right?” Rhule said. “Is he gonna count on our roster limit? And if we start saying (injured players) do, what are a lot of schools gonna do? They're gonna start cutting injured guys. Is that what we want from education? There are so many unintended consequences of roster limits that I just hope they think through it.

“I would (also) have a really hard time telling some of the guys – just because of where they are there, maybe they were the 121st guy – telling them, ‘Hey, you know what, thanks for all that you do, but you can't be here.’”

He does bring up both sides of the argument in that you can use the loophole. He also states it breaks the spirit of the rule. However that isn’t my biggest concern. I certainly don’t think Rhule is doing anything illegal and don’t have a problem with skirting the rules a tad.

I take it a step farther. In that I don’t believe we are as flush with NIL money as many think. I hate to be dumping a bunch of NIL money on guys that have traditionally been walk on quality.

Some are thinking that means I think we shouldn’t have brought in the transfers. I don’t mean that. I think we should have gone a little lighter at high school this year and/or reduce the roster with some that are likely to be non-contributors.

When you're trying to flip the roster you do it now. MR has said he is flipping it.
What that tells me is that down the road the approach changes. Likely to what you're pointing towards.

Its 120 before first game. Here is MR's best quote imo

Right now, Demitrius Bell is out for the year, right?” Rhule said. “Is he gonna count on our roster limit? And if we start saying (injured players) do, what are a lot of schools gonna do? They're gonna start cutting injured guys. Is that what we want from education? There are so many unintended consequences of roster limits that I just hope they think through it.

“I would (also) have a really hard time telling some of the guys – just because of where they are there, maybe they were the 121st guy – telling them, ‘Hey, you know what, thanks for all that you do, but you can't be here.’”
No we don't have to be at 120, at least I haven't seen that and your link doesn't say that. It's proposed at this point in time.

In May, as part of a newly proposed athlete compensation model, Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger reported that power conference leaders were considering a significant reduction in the allowed roster sizes for college football programs. As a consequence of that new model, those leaders were reported to be considering a potential reduction – from a roster of more than 115 players to as few as 95 or even 85 players, the latter of which is the current number of maximum scholarship spots allowed by the NCAA.

No we don't have to be at 120, at least I haven't seen that and your link doesn't say that. It's proposed at this point in time.

In May, as part of a newly proposed athlete compensation model, Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger reported that power conference leaders were considering a significant reduction in the allowed roster sizes for college football programs. As a consequence of that new model, those leaders were reported to be considering a potential reduction – from a roster of more than 115 players to as few as 95 or even 85 players, the latter of which is the current number of maximum scholarship spots allowed by the NCAA.
No, its been this way. Your practicing player numbers have to be 120 before first game.
What thats referring to is reducing it in the future where you can't ever have more than a certain number at any time.
Before the season starts you can have a lot of players, which we do. Once started we have to still be down to that 120

How does it break the spirit of the rule, and what rule are you talking about?

Today there are 85 university funded scholarships, everyone else pays there way. How they pay their way changed with NIL and the portal, in that now certain people not directly connected to the university may pay for a transfer portal player's school fees.

In fact if a high school senior's parents find someone willing to pay for their son to go to Nebraska where he can play football it's perfectly legal and has always been legal. In the 1970s, 80s, or 90s a parent could pay for their son to walk on at Nebraska, did the money have to come from the parents back then. Was there a rule that said someone else couldn't give the funds to the parents for their son to play.

No, its been this way. Your practicing player numbers have to be 120 before first game.
What thats referring to is reducing it in the future where you can't ever have more than a certain number at any time.
Before the season starts you can have a lot of players, which we do. Once started we have to still be down to that 120
A: NCAA rules allow for 105 players to be rostered before the first day of class or the first game, whichever comes first. When school is in session, there is no limit to the number of players on the roster, but BYU maintains a maximum of 123 (17.9.

How does it break the spirit of the rule, and what rule are you talking about?

Today there are 85 university funded scholarships, everyone else pays there way. How they pay their way changed with NIL and the portal, in that now certain people not directly connected to the university may pay for a transfer portal player's school fees.

In fact if a high school senior's parents find someone willing to pay for their son to go to Nebraska where he can play football it's perfectly legal and has always been legal. In the 1970s, 80s, or 90s a parent could pay for their son to walk on at Nebraska, did the money have to come from the parents back then. Was there a rule that said someone else couldn't give the funds to the parents for their son to play.
It is likely a financial scenario. I know its $10 grand one time gift, but for education that could be different.

It is likely a financial scenario. I know its $10 grand one time gift, but for education that could be different.
Anything over $10,000 you pay the taxes, but that's just between family members. A non family member would be just like NIL and I'd assume the player is on the hook for the taxes. Which I have a feeling may surprise a lot of transfer portal players that didn't get good financial advice.

Anything over $10,000 you pay the taxes, but that's just between family members. A non family member would be just like NIL and I'd assume the player is on the hook for the taxes. Which I have a feeling may surprise a lot of transfer portal players that didn't get good financial advice.
Done privately the taxes could be fairly covered as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back