• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

99 scholarship players.

Well regardless about 10-15 are NOT going to be on scholarship and funding those positions through NIL is taking away NIL money from players above them. I’m not sure why everyone is hot and bothered about having more than 85 scholarship players. We have had walkons for a half century. Even walkons can have NIL. I just dont understand spending 20k NIL money on a 90th ranked player on the team while the 56th ranked 3 star only gets 4K in NIL money. I’d rather pump more money into getting 4 Star guys in the 56th position.
You've stated that before, but I don't think it is accurate the way you say it.

To me it's,

the 99th player gets 20K to pay for things a scholarship usually covers
the 56th player gets a scholarship and an extra 4K over and above the scholarship.

The 56th player is getting more than the 99th player, just as the 22nd player is probably getting more than the 56th player, and the 1st player is getting more than the 22nd.

To me it's,

the 56th player gets a scholarship and an extra 4K over and above the scholarship.

The 56th player is getting more than the 99th player, just as the 22nd player is probably getting more than the 56th player, and the 1st player is getting more than the 22nd.
And that is why having the 85 scholarships aren't as important as they once were. Still important, but if a highly ranked kid fell in our lap right now through a transfer, that 85 scholarship number means even less to him or the staff.

And that is why having the 85 scholarships aren't as important as they once were. Still important, but if a highly ranked kid fell in our lap right now through a transfer, that 85 scholarship number means even less to him or the staff.
Right. It just means the program needs to “pay” for him one way or another. And this is where I assume that the funding side of the program is adequately supporting the recruiting side.

To me it's,

The difference being NIL is a limited resource. The 56th player uses 4K of it and the 99th uses 20k of it. My opinion is use the 20k to attract better 56th.

If a highly ranked 85 falls in our lap great. But it does mean one of our present 85 will NOT be on scholarship. Not sure why you guys are acting like the scholarship limits are gone. Yes there could be ways around it but they don’t add up. You propose we waste our limited NIL money on a walkon when we could use it to upgrade our top 85. Maybe we use that limited money to attract more top 85 to land in our lap.

You guys do realize we have had walkons for generations. Why all of a sudden do we have to abandon that. Let them earn their NIL money.

In the mean time…..Rhule still has to get down to 85. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on who on the roster might be out.

Last edited:
If a highly ranked 85 falls in our lap great. But it does mean one of our present 85 will NOT be on scholarship. Not sure why you guys are acting like the scholarship limits are gone. Yes there could be ways around it but they don’t add up. You propose we waste our limited NIL money on a walkon when we could use it to upgrade our top 85. Maybe we use that limited money to attract more top 85 to land in our lap.

You guys do realize we have had walkons for generations. Why all of a sudden do we have to abandon that. Let them earn their NIL money.

In the mean time…..Rhule still has to get down to 85. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on who on the roster might be out.
Why do you think someone is out that doesn't want to be out?

If you assume this you must also assume Rhule was not up front with everyone as far as where their scholarship is when he sat down with every player after the spring game so they could access their position when the portal was open.

He was asked about the roster at his news conference and he didn't seem concerned where we stood currently.

Why do you think someone is out that doesn't want to be out?

If you assume this you must also assume Rhule was not up front with everyone as far as where their scholarship is when he sat down with every player after the spring game so they could access their position when the portal was open.

He was asked about the roster at his news conference and he didn't seem concerned where we stood currently.
When I say out….i mean out of scholarship. That could also mean they leave. Why are some out? Because we are about 10 over.

When I say out….i mean out of scholarship. That could also mean they leave. Why are some out? Because we are about 10 over.
How would they leave now, unless you feel Rhule is kicking them to the curb?

There are no more transfer portal opportunities until after the next season. Rhule said he met with every player after spring practice so everyone knew where they stood during the last portal opening, A couple players took advantage of the portal after those meetings, but most stayed.

If a player did not leave after that April meeting with Rhule, but now you say they may find themselves in a position where you feel they may be asked to leave the team, then it appears to me you're hinting Rhule may not have been upfront with the players last April.

It seems to me following your logic there are only two answers. 1 Rhule understands 99 is more than 85 but he has it covered, is not concerned, and doesn't feel he needs to share his plan with everyone. 2 Rhule doesn't have a plan to get down to 85 by fall camp, or at least hasn't shared his plan. Or maybe you have a third option you haven't shared with us.

You're not getting it. MR has a say on who gets in. So there is a vetting. This is not like what we've seen in the past where they didn't make their 85 so they then hand out schollies to walk one.
So the 85 has a higher pecking order built in.
Think of it more like what TO was doing, many more players and the players sort themselves out, before the 85 limits.
The staff believes in their recruiting, their assessments of players. The greatest reach they'll make is a Nebraska kid, and knowing like what TO told MR is those kids do raise the tide even if they don't play a lot.

So again, we can't look at it as more a random thing regarding players and still try to regiment that into that 85 number.

How would they leave now, unless you feel Rhule is kicking them to the curb?

There are no more transfer portal opportunities until after the next season. Rhule said he met with every player after spring practice so everyone knew where they stood during the last portal opening, A couple players took advantage of the portal after those meetings, but most stayed.

If a player did not leave after that April meeting with Rhule, but now you say they may find themselves in a position where you feel they may be asked to leave the team, then it appears to me you're hinting Rhule may not have been upfront with the players last April.

It seems to me following your logic there are only two answers. 1 Rhule understands 99 is more than 85 but he has it covered, is not concerned, and doesn't feel he needs to share his plan with everyone. 2 Rhule doesn't have a plan to get down to 85 by fall camp, or at least hasn't shared his plan. Or maybe you have a third option you haven't shared with us.
I’m just wondering who the ten guys are going to be that lose scholarships. Evidently nobody believes it’s gonna happen.

I’m just wondering who the ten guys are going to be that lose scholarships. Evidently nobody believes it’s gonna happen.

20939fb4dd07503c8a9b1cdd6dc75b04.gif

Yep. And thats not what you originately said unless you meant it would be moved to 99.
The dispersements of monies is what the conversation is about. Paying on scholarship costs or cost of going to class, training table, housing etc is the conversation.
While the allowable 85 is in place, its the overall allowable number thats in play which is equal to scholarship, could be part, could be over and above.
So 85 doesn't mean much
85 does matter. It’s the maximum amount the University can pay for scholarships. This dispersement you are referencing is NIL money that has to be managed. I’m just asking why players above the 85 that used to pay their own way now fall into the narrative of needing NIL money to pay their scholarships. Is that the best use of it?

You're not getting it. MR has a say on who gets in. So there is a vetting. This is not like what we've seen in the past where they didn't make their 85 so they then hand out schollies to walk one.
So the 85 has a higher pecking order built in.
Think of it more like what TO was doing, many more players and the players sort themselves out, before the 85 limits.
The staff believes in their recruiting, their assessments of players. The greatest reach they'll make is a Nebraska kid, and knowing like what TO told MR is those kids do raise the tide even if they don't play a lot.

So again, we can't look at it as more a random thing regarding players and still try to regiment that into that 85 number.
I have no idea what you are saying. Even under TO there were limits.

85 does matter. It’s the maximum amount the University can pay for scholarships. This dispersement you are referencing is NIL money that has to be managed. I’m just asking why players above the 85 that used to pay their own way now fall into the narrative of needing NIL money to pay their scholarships. Is that the best use of it?
If we see a failure in our recruiting you could guess that. Proportioning of the monies is something we will likely never know. But within the monies we have and how its disbursed, without knowing, ultimately recruiting and additions through then transfer portal will likely end up showing whether its being portioned correctly.

So far it seems to be working, keeping the players we have, getting new transfers etc.
MR said there's a value to what the players are. If someone is out of line with those values, let another school throw the money.
If its a must get, then let negotiations happen.

I suspect at some point when all ships have been raised by the tide this staff is bringing in, money will be tighter as they'll likely go after a few higher valued players than we have now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back