• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

99 scholarship players.

I can’t read all that nonsense especially when you are accusing me of setting up the fail. Why are you so offended by a poster wondering how Rhule is going to get to 85? Is your manfest so sensitive that you find this discussion offensive?

For the record there is no narrative for failure. Ever year we discuss the coaches route towards getting to 85. Sorry discussing MRs route is offensive.
Your discussion isn’t about getting to 85. Your discussion is about the prospect of Rhule pulling a schollie from someone. Or several someones. You’re practically drooling for it to happen. There is no 85 any longer. 85 is completely irrelevant. 85 is scholarships. So what. College sports pays their players now, as we’ve been discussing on almost every post. So some guys get schollies. And some guys get NIL. And if NIL isn’t enough, I suspect they’ll raise more NIL. And they wouldn’t give a spot to a kid under false pretenses. And that’s between the kid and Rhule. The bigger issue is whether the powers that be cap the total roster number and are able to enforce it. If that happens, then it’ll get real. And until then the only I’m going to worry about is what every college coach in America is worried about: how long before A&M or USC or one of those programs makes some 18-year-old kid the first $5 million QB and the floodgates open.

We have to move on from old thinking here and do what we can now and hope it fits.
Within the program, the athletic dept it has. But 85 is a starting point and so far there hasn't been a defined end point.
They changed up several times for portal transfers, and it basically ended with both schools and players prospering.
It could happen here too with the only hold outs are those seeking equity that haven't the funds to seek limitations that are restrictive to what a staff can actually do
Well as we're seeing, this staff can do a lot

I’m glad Rhule has told you how he’s handling it and reassured you nobody is losing their scholarships. I wish he would let us all know that so we didn’t have to be dependent on you sharing his conversations
Just a quick question.

Why would you feel any of us deserve to know anything at this time?

Your discussion isn’t about getting to 85. Your discussion is about the prospect of Rhule pulling a schollie from someone. Or several someones. You’re practically drooling for it to happen. There is no 85 any longer. 85 is completely irrelevant. 85 is scholarships. So what. College sports pays their players now, as we’ve been discussing on almost every post. So some guys get schollies. And some guys get NIL. And if NIL isn’t enough, I suspect they’ll raise more NIL. And they wouldn’t give a spot to a kid under false pretenses. And that’s between the kid and Rhule. The bigger issue is whether the powers that be cap the total roster number and are able to enforce it. If that happens, then it’ll get real. And until then the only I’m going to worry about is what every college coach in America is worried about: how long before A&M or USC or one of those programs makes some 18-year-old kid the first $5 million QB and the floodgates open.
No colleges do NOT pay players. It has not been approved and won’t by the end of fall camp where the NCAA requires a maximum of 85 scholarships. I’m wondering how we will get down to that number. Rhule will have to make some hard choices. Some of that could be asking the 1889 group to fund NIL scholarship level money……but as I pointed out……it will mean a higher commitment of NIL money to players outside the 85. I think the narrative here seems to be you being offended by a post that doesn’t fit your narrative.

A whiplash effect isn't something thats likely to happen. Limitations yes, but holding to that 85? Then turn around a few days later and say there's new rules?
We have to ask ourselves who does this serve, besides the non sensical actions it would create.

Just a quick question.

Why would you feel any of us deserve to know anything at this time?
I don’t. That was tongue in cheek response to the poster who described what Rhules exact plan Was. I’m only open to the discussion of how WE think it’s going to happen. It’s not like we haven’t had threads every season at this point discussing this very same topic

A whiplash effect isn't something thats likely to happen. Limitations yes, but holding to that 85? Then turn around a few days later and say there's new rules?
We have to ask ourselves who does this serve, besides the non sensical actions it would create.
What? We have been held to 85 for a couple of decades.

No colleges do NOT pay players. It has not been approved and won’t by the end of fall camp where the NCAA requires a maximum of 85 scholarships. I’m wondering how we will get down to that number. Rhule will have to make some hard choices. Some of that could be asking the 1889 group to fund NIL scholarship level money……but as I pointed out……it will mean a higher commitment of NIL money to players outside the 85. I think the narrative here seems to be you being offended by a post that doesn’t fit your narrative.
Colleges do pay players. They use NIL funds to do it. It’s pretty obvious that’s how the roster is being funded beyond the scholarships (which is sounding more and more quaint by the day). There are no hard choices here, other than the up front negotiation I’m very sure is happening with every recruit. I have no doubt that every single player understands exactly what his financial situation is headed into the season. Whether the tuition/room and board/whatever is being paid with traditional scholarship funds, NIL, the player’s family, or whatever source, Rhule is not going to pledge one dollar and then not pony up. If he did behave that way, players would have left this spring. They stayed. Almost all of them. Of course he’s committing NIL funds to players on the roster, from 1-125, or wherever he settles. 1889, Joe’s House of Mufflers, Sam’s Feed Lot. It doesn’t matter. NIL funds are NIL funds. No limits. No rules. It’s not a narrative — this is the playing field now. It’s why none of the coaches are the slightest bit concerned about the 85. But very concerned about roster size and alumni/fan cash and other financial resources. Let me put it this way: If the NU faithful can’t afford to throw a little NIL cash at player no. 86 every year, say a promising and developing offensive tackle who is two years away from a snap, then NU will not continue to have a seat at the table. They will be done. We buy players now, starting with QBs through back up linemen. So does everyone else. And I’m sure Rhule understands his budget better than most.

I don’t. That was tongue in cheek response to the poster who described what Rhules exact plan Was. I’m only open to the discussion of how WE think it’s going to happen. It’s not like we haven’t had threads every season at this point discussing this very same topic
The thing is this year is not like most years where this is part of the yearly offseason scholarship discussion. This year has so many things going on with NCAA lawsuits, NIL, and many other new things. This year is totally different then past years, which should mean there are many more options to keep players then we had in the past. Options most of us are probably not even aware of.

For me Rhule spends way too much time talking family to just tell 14 guys to take a hike. He'll find a way to take care of things, you either trust him to do the right thing or you don't.

What? We have been held to 85 for a couple of decades.
Did you read where I said we need to move on, or about transfers and how that changed several times and it ended with both schools and players benefitting?
Or should we just go back to thinking this is several decades old?

Colleges do pay players. They use NIL funds to do it. It’s pretty obvious that’s how the roster is being funded beyond the scholarships (which is sounding more and more quaint by the day). There are no hard choices here, other than the up front negotiation I’m very sure is happening with every recruit. I have no doubt that every single player understands exactly what his financial situation is headed into the season. Whether the tuition/room and board/whatever is being paid with traditional scholarship funds, NIL, the player’s family, or whatever source, Rhule is not going to pledge one dollar and then not pony up. If he did behave that way, players would have left this spring. They stayed. Almost all of them. Of course he’s committing NIL funds to players on the roster, from 1-125, or wherever he settles. 1889, Joe’s House of Mufflers, Sam’s Feed Lot. It doesn’t matter. NIL funds are NIL funds. No limits. No rules. It’s not a narrative — this is the playing field now. It’s why none of the coaches are the slightest bit concerned about the 85. But very concerned about roster size and alumni/fan cash and other financial resources. Let me put it this way: If the NU faithful can’t afford to throw a little NIL cash at player no. 86 every year, say a promising and developing offensive tackle who is two years away from a snap, then NU will not continue to have a seat at the table. They will be done. We buy players now, starting with QBs through back up linemen. So does everyone else. And I’m sure Rhule understands his budget better than most.
Well regardless about 10-15 are NOT going to be on scholarship and funding those positions through NIL is taking away NIL money from players above them. I’m not sure why everyone is hot and bothered about having more than 85 scholarship players. We have had walkons for a half century. Even walkons can have NIL. I just dont understand spending 20k NIL money on a 90th ranked player on the team while the 56th ranked 3 star only gets 4K in NIL money. I’d rather pump more money into getting 4 Star guys in the 56th position.

Did you read where I said we need to move on, or about transfers and how that changed several times and it ended with both schools and players benefitting?
Or should we just go back to thinking this is several decades old?
We are still operating at 85 scholarships regardless of how you want to say it has changed.

Well regardless about 10-15 are NOT going to be on scholarship and funding those positions through NIL is taking away NIL money from players above them. I’m not sure why everyone is hot and bothered about having more than 85 scholarship players. We have had walkons for a half century. Even walkons can have NIL. I just dont understand spending 20k NIL money on a 90th ranked player on the team while the 56th ranked 3 star only gets 4K in NIL money. I’d rather pump more money into getting 4 Star guys in the 56th position.
That’s totally fair. Absolutely agree about larger roster. Apologies for over-simplifying this part of things. As you say, at some point in a given year the program has $X for NIL. (Although I suspect and hope it’s always a moving target and going up so the effect is to not take from the guys at the top of the roster.) I agree 100% that it’s a very interesting and relevant discussion about how those funds are apportioned in the moment. How are they structuring deals and with what players? Your example is spot on. I’d very much like to hear about Coach Rhule’s methodology. Even if part of his approach means he somewhat ignores the current NIL fund balance and assumes funds will get flushed in later. I expect we will hear more about this. Or maybe piece it together when we learn about various financial arrangements with different players and piece it together. I can see this being a little bit private and not something the coaches want to broadcast, at least in detail.

We are still operating at 85 scholarships regardless of how you want to say it has changed.
Yep. And thats not what you originately said unless you meant it would be moved to 99.
The dispersements of monies is what the conversation is about. Paying on scholarship costs or cost of going to class, training table, housing etc is the conversation.
While the allowable 85 is in place, its the overall allowable number thats in play which is equal to scholarship, could be part, could be over and above.
So 85 doesn't mean much

bc4567a2119b5cf7f6d0728ba54da13e.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back