• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"Why would he say no?"

Interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I can't envision that working well in football at any level, much less a major (or want to be major again) P5 school. Kudos to him if he can make it work. I remember Spurrier had a similar policy....for himself, but the assistants did much of the off hour heavy lifting.
Bob Stoops also made that work.

Do we really think Scott started as a position coach at Northern Iowa, then a DC at Northern Iowa, then moved to Oregon as a position coach, then became OC in Eugene, then took the HC job at UCF and is now "not concerned with getting to the top of his field" and thinking to himself "i've reached where I want to be"? I mean, are we so scared he may turn us down we are coming up with this scenario?
Huge inferiority complex among Husker fans these days. It's like we think we aren't worthy of anything good.

Well, what hadn't been talked about? I mean, really.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been floated out there in either a sober state or drunken stupor, is the potential that he'll have a sex change and be the first US transgender Olympic shot put champion AND the first 'female' head football coach of a D1 school. I may have missed it because I usually tap out before midnight on the week days, but I don't recall seeing it.

SF was a crewmember/First Officer on a MAJOR airline at Oregon..........then he had the opportunity to become the Captain at a COMMUTER airline at CFU. He took it....natural progression.
Now another MAJOR airline is offering him the opportunity to be the Captain.
He'll take it....again, natural progression.
The wife........if she supports his aspirations, and in turn the family's stability and financial security, which I believe she does.
He's on his way here.
No worries

You need to stop being so delusional. You are a wonderful person and I'd hate for anyone to think you are a moron.

SF said...

“I've been recruiting all week,” Frost said last year upon taking his name out of the running at Oregon. “[One day,] I drove to a [nearby] town in Florida, recruited and was back in Orlando that night. [The next day,] I drove to another town in Florida and was back at home that night. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and sleeping in a different state every night.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...t-frost-nebraska-mike-bianchi-0921-story.html

Its OK to spend lots of travel time flying from Nebraska to Florida and California when you are single. But SF has a wife and child now. I'll bet SF feels just like CrabHusker...he would like to spend as much time with his family as he can. At UCF he can recruit and be home in time for supper. In addition, top Florida recruits can easily drive to UCF for an unpaid, unofficial visit. I'll bet he values that very much, and I'll bet his wife does too.

Years ago I recall TO saying that he would like to have the same advantage as the HC at Missouri where he could recruit his team without having to leave the state. Like CrabHusker, TO missed seeing his family grow up. To be successful at DONU that is the price a HC has to pay. Is SF willing to pay that price?

We shall see.
I’m sure coaches who have programs in the middle of recruiting hotbeds travel less. It’s also probably a good bet that smaller programs that can primarily live on 2 and 3 stars to compete, also travel less. Both are true in Scott’s case. Even a school like USC in their last class had to go get people from TX, FL, UT, OR, NV, Pago Pago, AZ. Look at where Nick Saban got his players: FL, HI, KY, LA, CA, MS, TX. Look at a guy like Dani at FSU: MS, TX, VA, NC, GA, ME, SC.

There is no doubt it’s easier to fill out a roster when you have talent close to home, but that was why keeping that 500 mile rule intact was so important for Husker coaches. Let’s not kid ourselves, I work in Florida far too regularly to let people have the impression that going and seeing players is a quick 20 minute drive. Florida traffic sucks, and many of my coworkers fly across the state just to avoid traffic.

The main point is, if Frost is thinking about coaching in the bigs, or bringing UCF up to a major conference, he won’t get to just drive around town to find the players he needs to compete.

The CFP system could easily expand to 8 teams and give an automatic bid to the top G5 team.

If SF thinks that is likely to happen, it could sway him to stay put.

If SF desires to go beyond domination of the AAC and win a NC, an expansion to 8 teams with an automatic G5 bid would give him as good an opportunity as being in a P5 conference.

He’d still be on the outside looking in most every year. There are conversations about which 2 loss teams look better than an undefeated Wiscy. It’s an exclusive club, and UCF is not on the members list.

SF was talked into becoming a football coach. Turns out he has the right stuff and the potential to be great one. He will continue in that profession. But achieving success at DONU will take away more of his family time than UCF will. The "balance" is easier when your school is located in the heart of a recruiting hot bed. SF knows this, and it is why he chose UCF over offers from Colorado State, P5 Syracuse, and P5 Maryland.
Like I said, if he doesn’t have the passion for FBS P5 football, wouldn’t want him anyway. I tend to think you don’t succeed at places like Oregon unless you’re ok with a high level of pressure and commitment, and then further ok when you take a HC job at a school everyone on the planet would agree is a stepping stone school for a young coach.

That's the question I got from an FSU fan I work with today regarding Scott Frost's potential employment by the University of Nebraska. "Why?"

Like most competitive people, Frost is driven. He wants to win. He wants to improve himself, his family's position in life and be the best at what he does. I get it. I was it. Different business, but similar choice.

Why would he say no?

I have to step back twenty years when I had an opportunity to step into the 'big time' in my business. I owned and operated my own business. Was successful in that my family didn't want or need anything I couldn't provide. I enjoyed what I did, had many repeat clients and was able to spend time with my wife and kids. I had hobbies I enjoyed on occasion. Then came an offer from a large, multi billion dollar firm to take a step up in every single way as it relates to what I do. More money, bigger, more complex projects, bigger bonuses, etc. The position included travel, but as an Air Force brat, that didn't concern me in the least. I will tell people who ask to this day that I struggled with the decision, but that's BS. I knew I what I wanted to do the minute the offer was in my hand. I talked to the wife and as is typical for my wife she said 'Whatever you think is best, I'll support'. Sealed the deal. Had I chosen to decline the offer, kept my company and just kept doing what I'd done for more than a decade, I'd not have missed my kids growing up. I wouldn't have spent months at a time away from my wife, my parents, my siblings. I got what I agreed to, that's for sure. I built some great buildings and worked on some very difficult projects that checked all the boxes I'd secretly longed for. I guess you could say I reached the pinnacle of what I do for a living, but at what cost? Family pictures for years that don't include me. Two decades of life lived in a temporary condition. New cities living in apartments, hotels, trips home when they could be fit in. I left a perfectly acceptable and comfortable life for more...and I made a mistake. If I could hit the reset button and go back twenty years, I'd say 'Thanks for the offer, but no.'

Like I said, different business, but there is more to life than just reaching the top. Frost is a smart man and now he's a dad as well. I'm guessing he'll be looking at all of it a little harder than most of us think. There are reasons beyond UCF's status in the football world to say no. I can think of a few I should have thought more about back in the day.
My wife is struggling with the same sort of decision. I made it easy for here, I said quit and find a new job. She said It was getting to the point that she felt like a stranger in her own home and that me and the kids didn't need her. WRONG!. I was to blind to see it at first how it was affecting her and now I will not let her get to that place again. Family is MOST important and I agree that SF will be thinking of that but Nebraska is home and this is where little SF grandparents live. He isn't quitting coaching so his hours will be the same at whatever school he chooses and it will entail a lot of hours at work.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back