• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"Why would he say no?"

CrabHusker

S&C Coordinator-Sponsored by DBol
10 Year Member
That's the question I got from an FSU fan I work with today regarding Scott Frost's potential employment by the University of Nebraska. "Why?"

Like most competitive people, Frost is driven. He wants to win. He wants to improve himself, his family's position in life and be the best at what he does. I get it. I was it. Different business, but similar choice.

Why would he say no?

I have to step back twenty years when I had an opportunity to step into the 'big time' in my business. I owned and operated my own business. Was successful in that my family didn't want or need anything I couldn't provide. I enjoyed what I did, had many repeat clients and was able to spend time with my wife and kids. I had hobbies I enjoyed on occasion. Then came an offer from a large, multi billion dollar firm to take a step up in every single way as it relates to what I do. More money, bigger, more complex projects, bigger bonuses, etc. The position included travel, but as an Air Force brat, that didn't concern me in the least. I will tell people who ask to this day that I struggled with the decision, but that's BS. I knew I what I wanted to do the minute the offer was in my hand. I talked to the wife and as is typical for my wife she said 'Whatever you think is best, I'll support'. Sealed the deal. Had I chosen to decline the offer, kept my company and just kept doing what I'd done for more than a decade, I'd not have missed my kids growing up. I wouldn't have spent months at a time away from my wife, my parents, my siblings. I got what I agreed to, that's for sure. I built some great buildings and worked on some very difficult projects that checked all the boxes I'd secretly longed for. I guess you could say I reached the pinnacle of what I do for a living, but at what cost? Family pictures for years that don't include me. Two decades of life lived in a temporary condition. New cities living in apartments, hotels, trips home when they could be fit in. I left a perfectly acceptable and comfortable life for more...and I made a mistake. If I could hit the reset button and go back twenty years, I'd say 'Thanks for the offer, but no.'

Like I said, different business, but there is more to life than just reaching the top. Frost is a smart man and now he's a dad as well. I'm guessing he'll be looking at all of it a little harder than most of us think. There are reasons beyond UCF's status in the football world to say no. I can think of a few I should have thought more about back in the day.

That's the question I got from an FSU fan I work with today regarding Scott Frost's potential employment by the University of Nebraska. "Why?"

Like most competitive people, Frost is driven. He wants to win. He wants to improve himself, his family's position in life and be the best at what he does. I get it. I was it. Different business, but similar choice.

Why would he say no?

I have to step back twenty years when I had an opportunity to step into the 'big time' in my business. I owned and operated my own business. Was successful in that my family didn't want or need anything I couldn't provide. I enjoyed what I did, had many repeat clients and was able to spend time with my wife and kids. I had hobbies I enjoyed on occasion. Then came an offer from a large, multi billion dollar firm to take a step up in every single way as it relates to what I do. More money, bigger, more complex projects, bigger bonuses, etc. The position included travel, but as an Air Force brat, that didn't concern me in the least. I will tell people who ask to this day that I struggled with the decision, but that's BS. I knew I what I wanted to do the minute the offer was in my hand. I talked to the wife and as is typical for my wife she said 'Whatever you think is best, I'll support'. Sealed the deal. Had I chosen to decline the offer, kept my company and just kept doing what I'd done for more than a decade, I'd not have missed my kids growing up. I wouldn't have spent months at a time away from my wife, my parents, my siblings. I got what I agreed to, that's for sure. I built some great buildings and worked on some very difficult projects that checked all the boxes I'd secretly longed for. I guess you could say I reached the pinnacle of what I do for a living, but at what cost? Family pictures for years that don't include me. Two decades of life lived in a temporary condition. New cities living in apartments, hotels, trips home when they could be fit in. I left a perfectly acceptable and comfortable life for more...and I made a mistake. If I could hit the reset button and go back twenty years, I'd say 'Thanks for the offer, but no.'

Like I said, different business, but there is more to life than just reaching the top. Frost is a smart man and now he's a dad as well. I'm guessing he'll be looking at all of it a little harder than most of us think. There are reasons beyond UCF's status in the football world to say no. I can think of a few I should have thought more about back in the day.
Very poignant story ch, thanks for sharing that perspective. There's definitely more to it than making us nutcases happy.

Why would he say no?

Read on another post that his wife doesn’t want to live in Nebraska.Article stated she is from Arizona and doesn’t like cold weather.That’s one reason I guess. We married guys know that if mama ain’t happy,ain’t nobody happy .

Read on another post that his wife doesn’t want to live in Nebraska.Article stated she is from Arizona and doesn’t like cold weather.That’s one reason I guess. We married guys know that if mama ain’t happy,ain’t nobody happy .
I don't buy that. She knew what she was getting into when she married a football coach. I (obviously) don't know for sure but I would doubt this is an issue.

Why would he say no?

the major difference is that Frost will work mad hours and spend lots of time away from family either way...he doesnt have the luxury of not working as hard just because he is in a smaller conference. and regardless of his current location he will still spend a roughly equivalent time away from home recruiting

Why would he say no?

Good post and great perspective. Thanks for sharing.

There is a flip side to this however. When you turn down what you really want for the sake of family (or whatever), it haunts you for the rest of your life because you always wonder what could have been. It's an itch you can't scratch. You'll never know because you didn't try.

It’s Lincoln, not Fargo. I married a SoCal girl who was NOT into colder weather. But the jobs took us where they did, and I got her the right clothing, house and vehicle to make her life just fine. Now, we live in Austin, warm weather and a great city, and all she can think about is getting back toward Tahoe and the Sierras.

Growing is never a bad thing.

Last edited:

ridiculous

the major difference is that Frost will work mad hours and spend lots of time away from family either way...he doesnt have the luxury of not working as hard just because he is in a smaller conference. and regardless of his current location he will still spend a roughly equivalent time away from home recruiting

True. He would more than likely spend less time on the road recruiting in Florida versus Nebraska, but it's still a chore.

I don't buy that. She knew what she was getting into when she married a football coach. I (obviously) don't know for sure but I would doubt this is an issue.
Just commenting on a previous post here on HM.She May of knew what she was getting into,but was answering his question on her willingness to pack up and move to Nebraska .QUOTE]The OP asked why would he not take the job.Was just sharing what I read earlier.

Good post and great perspective. Thanks for sharing.

There is a flip side to this however. When you turn down what you really want for the sake of family (or whatever), it haunts you for the rest of your life because you always wonder what could have been. It's an itch you can't scratch. You'll never know because you didn't try.

Very true. I scratched the itch and regret it. I am honest enough with myself to admit that, but can't paint the picture of what would have been different. My choice haunts me. I can't get those years back.

1 more contract is all Frost would have to work to set up his family and kids family for life. If UCF can provide that type of
financial future, he might stay. Otherwise work for 5-7 years and get out. Urban with all his success walked away, so anyone could if they wanted.

It’s Lincoln, not Fargo. I married a SoCal girl who was NOT into colder weather. But the jobs took us where they did, and I got her the right clothing, house and vehicle to make her life just fine. Now, we live in Austin, warm weather and a great city, and all she can think about is getting back toward Tahoe and the Sierras.

Growing is never a bad thing.
I was responding to the OP.Nothing more,nothing less.Not my words,quoting what I had read.Guessing she will have some influence on his final decision.JMO.GBR.

Just commenting on a previous post here on HM.She May of knew what she was getting into,but was answering his question on her willingness to pack up and move to Nebraska .QUOTE]The OP asked why would he not take the job.Was just sharing what I read earlier.
Not an issue with you. I simply doubt the accuracy of that story.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back