• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

Kinda bums me out we're talking market share and cable channel subscriptions on a football board. Not bashing those who are; I get it. It's the topic du jour. I just think it's sad the greatest game ever invented has been reduced to kowtowing to network executives who don't give a wit about the game other than its profit potential.

Kinda bums me out we're talking market share and cable channel subscriptions on a football board. Not bashing those who are; I get it. It's the topic du jour. I just think it's sad the greatest game ever invented has been reduced to kowtowing to network executives who don't give a wit about the game other than its profit potential.
I think you'll see something happen in the next 25-30 years or so. A developmental NFL league will form and the best will go there instead of college. College will go back to how it was years ago. Worse play than now but local kids.

I think you'll see something happen in the next 25-30 years or so. A developmental NFL league will form and the best will go there instead of college. College will go back to how it was years ago. Worse play than now but local kids.
It does seem that college football (all college athletics?) has less and less to do with college anymore. How much longer before student/athlete doesn't include "student" anymore?

I don't know that the gap itself matters that much. But what does matter is USC and UCLA being 2-3 time zones away from all other Big Ten teams, the closest being Lincoln, which is about 1,300 miles as the crow flies.

So you'd ideally like to have at least a couple more teams out West, to reduce USC's and UCLA's travel at least some. Washington, Oregon, and Stanford would suffice as well.

It's really much more an issue for USC and UCLA than the other Big Ten teams. Those other teams would have to make the long trip to California somewhere between 0 and 2 times per year (0 or 1 would be most common). But USC and UCLA will have to travel well over 1,000 miles (x2) for roughly half their conference games -- 4 or 5 times per year (and a lot more than that for other sports).
Wonder if they would not schedule conference night games in California?

I'd like to know how many people in NorCal are watching college football on Saturdays. Very few compared to other markets I bet. To the extent it's even a sports market it's a pro sports market.
Just going by a map I saw of whose in what market.

I'd like to know how many people in NorCal are watching college football on Saturdays. Very few compared to other markets I bet. To the extent it's even a sports market it's a pro sports market.

JMHO but football is going to need to bring in a ton of cash to cover travel costs for non-revenue sports. Imagine cost to fly the soccer or softball teams, staff, equipment to Rutgers and then to UCLA during the season. Those sports should play more within a region to save money.
The stadium expansion with new, value-added amenities will help draw additional revenue - especially when you consider what should be a bump in excitement with the USC and UCLA (and likely other schools) joining the conference.

And if we start winning again.

Lincoln, NE to New Brunswick, NJ about 1300 miles Lincoln, NE to Los Angles, CA 1500 miles! Not much of a travel difference as the Huskers are already traveling almost as far as playing in NJ as they will playing in LA. Where teams travel now is really irrelevant imo. I'll bet many of our players would love to play in CA in late Nov and early Dec. Heck we're going overseas this year!

Last edited:

Lots of other things to consider …

1. Scheduling … 4-team pods, divisions or just one 16-team free-for-all
2. Balancing … equity of scheduling
3. Champion determination?
4. # of conference games … 8, 9 or 10?
3. Other sports … impact of travel … so does Iowa & NU become travel partners when they/we play USC/UCLA?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back