• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

no question that was the motivation. My biggest concern is that USC and UCLA will become the new Texas because of the market advantage they have. No one in the league can match their location. I am not against them joining, I just think there could be some unintended consequences. But these are the times we are living in, so I understand why the B1G made the move.

It will be fascinating to watch.

The Big Ten is really Michigan and Ohio State's league. If one school could shift the balance of power, it'd be USC.

Perlman rightly gets a lot of flack for his destructive meddling in the athletic program and bad decisions. But man, when it really mattered he pushed the right buttons and got us to where we needed to be in the B1G.

True!

This is actually a day when we should feel grateful to be Nebraska fans. Well over half of P5 schools are wishing they were in our shoes now. We are more solidly one of the "haves" than ever before (or at least since Osborne retired).

True!

This is actually a day when we should feel grateful to be Nebraska fans. Well over half of P5 schools are wishing they were in our shoes now. We are more solidly one of the "haves" than ever before (or at least since Osborne retired).

Agreed!!

Regardless of all the challenges associated with the football program since joining the Big 10…I can’t imagine that there would still be fans that would really want to rejoin the Big 12 or join the Pac 12 after today?

Last edited:

It will be fascinating to watch.

The Big Ten is really Michigan and Ohio State's league. If one school could shift the balance of power, it'd be USC.
agree, it is definitely a game changer. With the portal and now the addition of LA to the league footprint, OSU and Michigan don't appear to have the advantage they had just a year ago.

JMHO but football is going to need to bring in a ton of cash to cover travel costs for non-revenue sports. Imagine cost to fly the soccer or softball teams, staff, equipment to Rutgers and then to UCLA during the season. Those sports should play more within a region to save money.

I would love to see Notre Dame, North Carolina and Virginia added to the conference. Unfortunately, the latter 2 programs are hamstrung by a GOR that expires in the year 2525 (bad reference intended), give or take a few years. ESPN could make that issue moot but given that network's love of the B1G Ten...that's probably not happening. UNC and UVA are excellent academic schools located in really good football & basketball recruiting states.

I wouldn't be surprised if USC & UCLA obtained "commitments" from the Big Ten to favorably vet a couple of current Pac 12 members (ahem, Stanford & Cal) -- should they apply for B1G membership. In the end, the chancellors and presidents of the member institutions vote on conference expansion. They're academics and education/research -- not athletics -- is the primary mission of a university. Getting Stanford would be a home run for the conference from an academics and Olympic sports standpoint, and it might be the final piece that convinces Notre Dame to apply for B1G membership. Adding Cal -- another academic juggernaut -- would allow for some great scheduling (Stanford & Cal, USC & UCLA) on west coast road trips. Anyone up for a trip to Amoeba Records before a game? I have zero interest in adding Colorado, Utah, Wazzu or Oregon State. Adding those programs would almost certainly dilute the per member media rights payouts. Arizona & ASU are arguably better off in a reconstituted WAC, er, Big XII. Finally, I'd rather take Stanford & Cal over Oregon & Washington (as a pair). San Francisco > Seattle > Eugene.

Pretty amusing that this will happen before OU/Texas start in the SEC. It’s pretty obvious they expected the Big 12 to dissolve without them, but the threat of lawsuit vs ESPN shut that down pretty quick. The Big 10 is going to be very well positioned. Time to write more stupid articles about how Nebraska should have stayed on the sinking ship.

Agreed!!

Regardless of all the challenges associated with the football program since joining the Big 10…I can’t imagine that there would still be fans that would really want to rejoin the Big 12 or join the Pac 12 after today?

Most of the old Big 8 schools are now treading water and getting farther from shore. We'll send a postcard. :Santa:

Consider this: if Nebraska was not in the Big Ten now, would WE be left out to dry? I think that's quite possible -- maybe even likely.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back