• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

I think market size and viewership numbers tell you different things, as @howsoon99 gets at. Market size gives you an idea of how many new people will be paying for the Big Ten Network. Viewership numbers tell you how many people care about a team, which helps you determine how much the networks should be paying you in your broadcast deal.

Notre Dame, Oregon and Nebraska way outperform their market sizes in terms of viewership numbers. The Southern California schools underperform in terms of viewership numbers, but you get a ton of people paying for the Big Ten Network. Washington underperforms a middling market size. Stanford and Cal way underperform their large market. For me, I think there is an argument to definitely take Notre Dame and Oregon, perhaps take Stanford and/or Cal because you sell a lot of Big Ten Network subscriptions, and maybe leave out Washington. This is based on one-year viewership numbers, so maybe that changes if you look at longer term viewership.

Edit: I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that. For example, I don't know if the SoCal and Bay Area cable companies already carry the Big Ten Network. If not, that's a lot of new subscriptions. If so, there's not much BTN benefit.

Last edited:
Washington was the only school to uphold a great football tradition mainly because of James, outside of the Cali market.
I think Oregon is more a splash in the pan long term.
Utah? They have potential.
Long term? Oregon has been a top ten level program for over 20 years now. Since Harrington. Very few dips. Just haven't won a national title and they've been passed over for the chance more than once. Including by us in 2001.

Long term? Oregon has been a top ten level program for over 20 years now. Since Harrington. Very few dips. Just haven't won a national title and they've been passed over for the chance more than once. Including by us in 2001.
Let them survive a losing streak with high numbers/followers

Yeah, Oregon has been relevant for about as long as Nebraska has been irrelevant. As a former 30 year resident, I watched the U of O's rise from the bottom of the barrel to the highest level of the game. No mystery, successive great coaching did it. Rich Brooks, Mike Bellotti, and Chip Kelly are to the Ducks as Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne are to the 'Huskers.

Hell, I once won two free tickets to a Ducks game, plus transportation and lunch, just for being the first person to call my local radio station with the correct answer to a trivia question.

I was watching a show from the pac-12? They had a map of this huge gap between Lincoln and LA. They were saying this is why Utah, BYU or CU makes sense.

I don't know that the gap itself matters that much. But what does matter is USC and UCLA being 2-3 time zones away from all other Big Ten teams, the closest being Lincoln, which is about 1,300 miles as the crow flies.

So you'd ideally like to have at least a couple more teams out West, to reduce USC's and UCLA's travel at least some. Washington, Oregon, and Stanford would suffice as well.

It's really much more an issue for USC and UCLA than the other Big Ten teams. Those other teams would have to make the long trip to California somewhere between 0 and 2 times per year (0 or 1 would be most common). But USC and UCLA will have to travel well over 1,000 miles (x2) for roughly half their conference games -- 4 or 5 times per year (and a lot more than that for other sports).

For what it's worth, here's a ranking of the most watched college football programs in 2021.

Average number of views per game:

1. Ohio State — 5.22M
2. Michigan — 4.74M
3. Alabama — 4.64M
4. Penn State — 3.87M
5. Georgia — 3.61M
6. Oklahoma — 3.46M
7. Auburn — 3.22M
8. Michigan State — 2.89M
9. Notre Dame — 2.84M
10. Oregon — 2.57M
11. Wisconsin — 2.41M
12. Nebraska — 2.29M

20. Iowa — 1.64M
21. Purdue — 1.63M

24. Minnesota — 1.28M

26. Indiana — 1.24M

29. UCLA — 1.18M

32. Southern Cal — 1.11M

38. Washington — 985K
39. Maryland — 971K

41. TCU — 907K

42. BYU — 893K

46. Stanford — 778K

58. Rutgers — 488K

74. Houston — 232K

76. California — 222K

Imagine how high we would be if we had something to watch.

Imagine how high we would be if we had something to watch.

Actually, we were likely higher-than-typical in the viewer rankings due to the number of marquee games.

Nebraska fans watch no matter what. But when you have Ohio State, Michigan, and Oklahoma on your schedule, those draw much more a national audience than Nebraska-Purdue. Add in the fact, Ohio State, Michigan, and Oklahoma always draw large national audiences (and were all top 6 last year). Scheduling matters as much as winning when it comes to TV/streaming viewers.

Certainly, Nebraska is still a great ratings draw year-after-year. And the Big Ten knows this. No wonder they schedule us to play Ohio State almost always. I'm certain Ohio State playing Nebraska draws higher ratings than Ohio State versus any other Big Ten West team.

I was watching a show from the pac-12? They had a map of this huge gap between Lincoln and LA. They were saying this is why Utah, BYU or CU makes sense.
utah/byu/cu is a dilema.. cu is in the toilet and that likely affects viewership in the denver market, that kinda rules them out as i dont see them getting back to the 90s ever. utah was really good last year, would be interested to see tv numbers when they were not so good. byu, they play a bunch of odd game times, but have good viewership numbers winning or losing. the problem with them is like another person said, they wont play anything on sundays and its a religious school. B1G isn't into that stuff. all three are tough sells. the bonus for utah is whittingham took over from urban meyer and it took a few seasons for him to figure out the HC job in the mountain west but he got them 33-6 in the last 3 seasons in that conf, they moved to the pac12 and he again had to adjust after a few bad seasons hes had a winning record, 9.3 wins over the past 6 full seasons (2020 thrown out due to covid). theres a possiblity he could make them worthly of the b1g. slc metro is 2.6 mil ppl ranked 22nd in the nation. the question is who would get more viewership, byu (whose founder also founded Salt lake city) or utah the states namesake. if and this is a big if the b1g does something, its likely utah.

viewership
cu - 366k
utah - 994k
byu - 893k

I don't know that the gap itself matters that much. But what does matter is USC and UCLA being 2-3 time zones away from all other Big Ten teams, the closest being Lincoln, which is about 1,300 miles as the crow flies.

So you'd ideally like to have at least a couple more teams out West, to reduce USC's and UCLA's travel at least some. Washington, Oregon, and Stanford would suffice as well.

It's really much more an issue for USC and UCLA than the other Big Ten teams. Those other teams would have to make the long trip to California somewhere between 0 and 2 times per year (0 or 1 would be most common). But USC and UCLA will have to travel well over 1,000 miles (x2) for roughly half their conference games -- 4 or 5 times per year (and a lot more than that for other sports).
I always wonder when is the bus vs plane trip cutoff?
Not just football, but in all sports?
i think theres still plenty of long bus rides at 65 mph for 300 miles vs 1200 at 400 mph.

Last edited:

I don't think the Big Ten conference owns the BTN network. I think that is owned directly or indirectly by Fox and they plan, I think, to sell off selected games to the networks and even to ESPN occasionally.

The business of this is very complicated but it is driving the decisions as much as old school ties, national prestige, etc.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back