• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

The B1G decision on taking 2 or 4 more Pac teams will determine if this thing goes to 2 super conferences or 3. If we were to take any more schools right now, the SEC would respond in earnest and it would blow the powder keg wide open. I think Warren is hoping everyone holds pat for a bit.
sec will likely try for killer move, their arent that many power players left to scoop up. lets face it, the iowa st, ok st's of the college football world are in a losing position. no way sec takes ok st, they bring nothing to the table, they already have the sooners., no reason for any other texas schools, they already have the 2 important ones.

only potential adds for sec are the acc teams. first they go for traditionally good teams, those are, clemson, fsu, miami. next they go for markets, virginia tech (sorry cavs..), boston college, syracuse, duke, NC tar heels, pitt

outside looking in wake forest, nc st, virginia, louisville, georgia tech.

Oregon and Washington want in, but have been told the B1G is waiting on Notre Dame.

If the Irish say yes, I expect ND, UO, UW and maybe Stanford.

If the Irish say no, the B1G holds tight or goes after FSU, etc.

I agree that ND and Stanford could be the next 2 that the Big 10 wants.

Stanford brings quite a bit to the conference which has been discussed in this thread. However, Stanford will not be able to dictate bringing Cal with them. They might want it but won’t say no to the Big 10 if Cal isn’t included.
be interesting if the b1g politely informs nd that it wont be able to schedule b1g teams for non-con games with the new league format (whatever that maybe). could force nd to decide on full conf membership

The below is just speculation:

If the B1G does indeed decide to go to 24 teams, I can see the B1G targeting the following, with market share/size (in no particular order)

Notre Dame TV Market - 1 (national consideration)
Stanford TV market - 6
Washington TV Market - 12
ASU TV Market - 11
Houston TV Market -8 OR TCU TV Market - 5
Oregon TV Market - 113 (not including Portland area)
Colorado TV Market - 16
Kansas TV Market 34 (Kansas City area) OR Temple TV Market - 4 (Philly area)

This is if the ACC does not blow up and cease to exist and Grant of Rights stays intact at each school for the next decade.

When asked about the CFP Greg Sankey told ESPN "I don't know. I didn't vote against expansion." Apparently, he's said that multiple times to several people in the last day or so. He's angry that the 12-team playoff was defeated last year.

funny how if A&M wouldnt have leaked OU/texas joining they would have expanded the CFB and then sankey would have announced the OU/tx additions. i bet he hates the aggies right now, blew a gaping hole in his master plan....

What I do't understand is why BIG is wating on ND before they address WA/OR. Separate questions in my mind. You don't need a partner for ND.

Let the dust settle and some of the less attractive (relatively speaking) Pac 12 programs find their place: Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah join the Big XII while Oregon State and Washington State join the Mountain West. In the meantime, watch what happens with the ACC. The SEC has undoubtedly been investigating how the ACC GOR can be bypassed so it can poach a few programs (Clemson, FSU, Miami). One possibility is if ESPN renegotiates/voids the ACC media rights contract, that could open the door for the SEC. If the ACC teams start jumping ship -- a big if for now, but nonetheless a possibility in time -- the B1G Ten would want to make a play for UNC and UVA. Those programs are much more valuable to the B1G Ten than Oregon and Washington. For now, Oregon and Washington don't really have many other options outside of status quo or possibly the Big XII. The Titanic doesn't sail until 2024, so there's time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back