• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

43 points

Regarding this "respect" idea ... I don't think a former Nebraska player has earned a lifetime of respect due to his playing time in Lincoln.

Greg Austin was a much better player than a coach -- at least thus far. I've personally never seen more problems with the offensive line these past few years than I have in any stretch of my lifetime as a fan.

I don't believe a former player/now coach deserves better "treatment" from the fans and media due to the fact that years ago he played for the team. A coach is judged on coaching -- and nothing else matters much if at all. If we choose to negatively criticize Austin, it has nothing to do with his playing days -- and it doesn't mean we "hate" the guy. He was a poor coach and was a key contributor to our many losses.

Some seem to be suggesting that just because Greg Austin was a quality starter for the Huskers 15+ years ago, he deserves less criticism for his coaching. To each their own, of course. Heck, if that's the case, may as well hire only former Husker players as coaches. Less reason to get upset if they suck as coaches -- since, of course, they once played for us.

It's very clear there's a segment of our fan base that will openly criticize the coaches. There's another segment that will readily criticize the fans for their criticism of the coaches -- something I never imagined when a coach and his staff produce four consecutive losing seasons. This can only be explained by this concept of "respect" earned by being a former Nebraska football player. Greg Austin = Scott Frost in this regard.
Very well written … I think there is truth on both sides of this argument.

The O-Line has under performed during the entirety of the SF era. Talent has been there witness 3 NFL-ers from this tenure.

Having said that GA did not try to fail … I’m sure he gave his best and because of that he probably doesn’t deserve much of the vitriol we fans, myself included, deliver sometimes.

The O-Line has under performed during the entirety of the SF era. Talent has been there witness 3 NFL-ers from this tenure.

Having said that GA did not try to fail … I’m sure he gave his best and because of that he probably doesn’t deserve much of the vitriol we fans, myself included, deliver sometimes.

I don't think any past or present Nebraska coach has tried to fail.

So if that's what separates negative criticism from smiling and nodding, then every past and present Nebraska coach should be void of criticism.

Seems to me there is a lot of hurt feelings on both sides of this argument and that's a stone cold fact

Thus not a lot of civil discussion as both sides dig in and toss rocks back and forth instead of listening and realizing they have a lot more in common if they would only open there eyes and ears

Then again wanting to be right with what ever group they hang with is more important than trying to reach out and have a civil discussion is my take on all of this

Those of us in the middle cling to hope but also realize there is a breaking point with this staff and team

As I have said a few times I would have been fine had the staff been let go after last year it would have been more than justified.

With that being said they weren't thus I personally hold out hope we can turn the corner BUT I am not naive enough to think another losing season buys this staff more time

Seven wins minimum and a bowl game for me this year and frankly I would like to more wins than that

Six and six will not cut it with me

Bottom line both of the sides that are dug in get there feelings all hurt a lot

The rest of us hold out hope but are not naive about the situation.

It's okay to hope and be positive while also being realistic about the situation

Going hardcore either way you lose me preaching the same thing over and over

We are going to soon enough how this off season change worked or did not work

In the mean time keep on postung
You will have to point out those folks in the middle to me because I sure don’t see any. Basically two camps those that are critical of the direction of the program and those that want to shout down those that are critical of the program. I sure don’t see it as pro-Frost or anti-Frost anymore as reasonable observers know he has failed as a Nebraska coach thus far. There’s just no other way to describe his performance other than a failure. We all want success but one group doesn’t like seeing unchecked enthusiasm and hope communicated as fact. Another side doesn’t want to see post after post of negativity.
Most reasonable people can see both sides but there’s really no point in trying to get either to give as it won’t happen. Minds are made up. Personally I don’t see this off-season discussion evolving into anything other than continued spirited debate but I guess you can hope for something different. Honestly has it ever been any different? It’s been this way since Solich and it will be this way moving forward unless you just want to shut down every thread that moves in this direction.

You will have to point out those folks in the middle to me because I sure don’t see any. Basically two camps those that are critical of the direction of the program and those that want to shout down those that are critical of the program. I sure don’t see it as pro-Frost or anti-Frost anymore as reasonable observers know he has failed as a Nebraska coach thus far. There’s just no other way to describe his performance other than a failure. We all want success but one group doesn’t like seeing unchecked enthusiasm and hope communicated as fact. Another side doesn’t want to see post after post of negativity.
Most reasonable people can see both sides but there’s really no point in trying to get either to give as it won’t happen. Minds are made up. Personally I don’t see this off-season discussion evolving into anything other than continued spirited debate but I guess you can hope for something different. Honestly has it ever been any different? It’s been this way since Solich and it will be this way moving forward unless you just want to shut down every thread that moves in this direction.

If you don't see any then I do not know what to tell you. The fact that the arguments are among a vocal minority on both sides is tell tale

I think there are people who are open.minded but frankly do not want to jump into the mosh pit because they have no interest in getting into what has become cyclical argument that never changes with many of the usual suspects on both sides with no interest in a discussion. So yeah small groups have made up there mind and are vocally the loudest pushing their agenda on this forum. The vast majority have no interest in jumping into that fire for obvious reasons

I have discussions at work on a daily basis with folks on all sides and it's been very productive and frankly fun. Face to face in real time makes a huge difference

That is more than likely part of the problem in that on a message board it's much harder to have that give and take in a face to face way

People who are sure they are right and are not interested in moving off that position

Hey thanks for the civil back n forth even if we disagree

Bottom line it's not one side who is butt hurt etc. It's both sides of the loud vocal minorities

The rest of the folks just want to have a civil conversation about the program as a whole and not the black doom vs koolaid hoo ha in thread after thread

Last edited:
You bring up some good points and face-to-face conversation would make a huge difference. I don’t hold any ill will towards anyone on this board I’m not sure others can say the same but I would hope so. You get everybody together in the same room and everybody’s pulling for a husker win. I believe that but don’t think everybody believes that though either. Fact is, have you ever seen a social media site that didn’t have sides being taken, alliances formed, and vocal debate that gets nasty? Has this board ever achieved that? I’ve been looking for a small RV and have joined a couple sites to discuss the pros and cons of certain RVs and even on something as innocent as a camper people get nasty towards each other. There just isn’t going to be Kumbaya ever in social media but I guess I can commend you for trying. Problem is when you shut threads down you start getting a very quiet/boring football board and thus a boring product. Just a couple days ago the most popular thread on the football board was the women’s softball thread. You don’t have to agree with me but as a paying member I feel I have the right to express my view. Good or bad the most entertaining and longest running threads always end up being the ones with the most debate and let’s be honest pissing back-and-forth.

Unfortunately, he works in a very public business, where results are demanded, and the pay is stellar. He chose this line of work. Praise, and criticism come with it, and if you don’t produce, which he didn’t, you’ll hear about it.

The distinction, I note, on how a coach is discussed revolves around two items, whom is doing the assessing, and what that assessor knows about coaching. Any person whom lands a job as a college coach at any level, without yet having worked a day, can coach. But that fact may not have any bearing on them being successful.
Yes, one can be a good coach and not find success. Some of that can be circumstance with other staff, support, etc, and some can be a misfit in style or scheme.
An excellent coach can flourish in less favorable conditions, but only if they are a match to those worked with in style and scheme. A good coach needs more help. How this applies in the arguments posted here is that few of us are capable of determining the variable involved, and without having been a coach themselves, can really only speak to one observable item.
Was the coach successful here or not. That we can all see. As to why, that can only accurately be known by those in the profession, and even then, likely not fully without talking to someone involved.
From my vantage, Austin was not successful in garnering the type of performance needed from these kids. As to how good a coach he is, I don't know anywhere in the neighborhood of enough to assess that. I would only hope that someone arguing his level of ability would have themselves coached that position at the level to which they ascribe him.
And while it matters not to me what someone calls another (nor calls me for that matter), I have read multiple accounts of Austin's players expressing their fondness and appreciation for him. It would be extremely difficult for me to term such a person as "trash".

Naw man, two camps, and one "only wants to shout down"? First, ain't no dearth of shouting from either side. Second, I see you've anointed yourself as the side of the victim. We're all Bozo's on this bus.
Unchecked enthusiasm? This then makes you...the bastion against such? Enthusiasm and hope expressed as fact. Gonna need an example of such a distasteful act.
(Hope, by definition like faith, can not occupy the same place as fact, in fact, they rely on the absence of fact to exist.)

I don’t view myself as a victim at all as I don’t take this board personally I can just offer my thoughts. My thoughts on this board are that I believe everyone roots for Nebraska to win. There have been those on this board that have openly stated they don’t believe others are rooting for wins but believe people like me are rooting for losses to achieve an end result and to get an I told you so in. That’s not me being the victim that’s stating a fact of what has occurred. I can say I don’t hold any ill will to others on this board and that’s fact but
I’ve seen plenty in this forum and other express flat out hatred towards other posters. When that hatred is expressed in another forum are we to assume it doesn’t count in the football forum? Trying to moderate any social media site is like the boy putting his fingers in the holes that pops up in the dyke. It’s a losing cause and if you ever think you’re going to get Kumbaya on a message board I will wait patiently for an example. There may be a few outliers but there are definitely two camps on the football board and those two camps dominate the conversation. Always have and always will. Continue shutting down threads and we will be stuck with softball talk on the football forum or maybe more fascinating conversation like the field turf being done. You can accuse me of playing the victim but I’ve never denied I haven’t been a part of the problem or taken a strong side/position. It’s been consistent since halfway through season two.

The distinction, I note, on how a coach is discussed revolves around two items, whom is doing the assessing, and what that assessor knows about coaching. Any person whom lands a job as a college coach at any level, without yet having worked a day, can coach. But that fact may not have any bearing on them being successful.
Yes, one can be a good coach and not find success. Some of that can be circumstance with other staff, support, etc, and some can be a misfit in style or scheme.
An excellent coach can flourish in less favorable conditions, but only if they are a match to those worked with in style and scheme. A good coach needs more help. How this applies in the arguments posted here is that few of us are capable of determining the variable involved, and without having been a coach themselves, can really only speak to one observable item.
Was the coach successful here or not. That we can all see. As to why, that can only accurately be known by those in the profession, and even then, likely not fully without talking to someone involved.
From my vantage, Austin was not successful in garnering the type of performance needed from these kids. As to how good a coach he is, I don't know anywhere in the neighborhood of enough to assess that. I would only hope that someone arguing his level of ability would have themselves coached that position at the level to which they ascribe him.
And while it matters not to me what someone calls another (nor calls me for that matter), I have read multiple accounts of Austin's players expressing their fondness and appreciation for him. It would be extremely difficult for me to term such a person as "trash".
It’s a results business. While you make some valid points, he had almost zero success at NU as the OL coach. All 4 years he was here, Nebraska preformed well bellow it’s talent level, in fact, far below. NU had one of the worst lines in all of power 5, all 4 years he was here, despite having much better talent than probably a minimum of 45 or so, power 5 members.

If you want to argue style, or circumstance, that’s fine, but at the end of the day, it’s up to him to overcome all of those things and produce results. Good coaches do just that, and excel in most any environment. He was obviously in over his head at NU, for whatever reason. Maybe he learns from that, and becomes a better coach moving forward. Only time will answer that question, but during his time at NU, his lines were outright bad, if not terrible. It would be hard to argue that, no matter what side of the fence one sits on.

Unfortunately, he works in a very public business, where results are demanded, and the pay is stellar. He chose this line of work. Praise, and criticism come with it, and if you don’t produce, which he didn’t, you’ll hear about it.
Why is it always about the pay? Fact is most coaches are paid according to the market and what the perceived value is for the doing the job. Is pay really the determining factor on whether someone can be criticized for doing a poor job...and thus, can only a person who makes very little money be lauded for doing a great job?

If the going rate for a kid to mow the lawn is $10 an hour and you get the neighbor to do it for $5 and he does a terrible job, do you then lavish him with praise because the pay was not stellar? Get over the bottom line of how much coaches get paid, because they get what the market says they can get. You can be critical, but that isn't a valid reason for it.

Naw man, two camps, and one "only wants to shout down"? First, ain't no dearth of shouting from either side. Second, I see you've anointed yourself as the side of the victim. We're all Bozo's on this bus.
Unchecked enthusiasm? This then makes you...the bastion against such? Enthusiasm and hope expressed as fact. Gonna need an example of such a distasteful act.
(Hope, by definition like faith, can not occupy the same place as fact, in fact, they rely on the absence of fact to exist.)

Great lyrics ;)

Seems to me there is a lot of hurt feelings on both sides of this argument and that's a stone cold fact

Thus not a lot of civil discussion as both sides dig in and toss rocks back and forth instead of listening and realizing they have a lot more in common if they would only open there eyes and ears

Then again wanting to be right with what ever group they hang with is more important than trying to reach out and have a civil discussion is my take on all of this

Those of us in the middle cling to hope but also realize there is a breaking point with this staff and team

As I have said a few times I would have been fine had the staff been let go after last year it would have been more than justified.

With that being said they weren't thus I personally hold out hope we can turn the corner BUT I am not naive enough to think another losing season buys this staff more time

Seven wins minimum and a bowl game for me this year and frankly I would like to more wins than that

Six and six will not cut it with me

Bottom line both of the sides that are dug in get there feelings all hurt a lot

The rest of us hold out hope but are not naive about the situation.

It's okay to hope and be positive while also being realistic about the situation

Going hardcore either way you lose me preaching the same thing over and over

We are going to soon enough how this off season change worked or did not work

In the mean time keep on postung
Geez man. It was a joke considering Philly has been in the Frost camp. I appreciated his original POV. Don't think my post required a half page explanation about the "two sides" when there has been a full on fight going on before and after my post that was all but left ignored.

A chuckle or a full-on laugh is a healthy thing. Maybe folks should start there .

Last edited:

I like SF, I like GA, one had to go, the other has to prove he should stay.
I'm in the camp of, let us not be like Texas and go round and round with coaching hires going nowhere.
We need SF to stick this year

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back