• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

43 points

Some "interesting" posts on this one. I appreciate what Austin did as a player. I loathe what has become of our offensive line. But Austin is not sole to blame here. Many OL coaches before him have stunk out the joint. I expect more. We are Nebraska. Pipeline, Outland, Rimington, etc. I will say Austin gets at best a C- for what he did as coach here at best. Sorry.
NU has 3 O-Linemen during the SF/GA era that are in the NFL (Jurgens, MFarnoik, BJameis). Talent has been there.

Division 1-AA and FCS is the same thing.

It is comprised of the same schools …

The name change did absolutely nothing but rebrand a division of college football.

Arguing the difference is just being semantical.
It may be semantics, but we're talking about a poster that often confuses opinions and facts/truth. For example:
No one said a bad word about him. He is NOT a good coach. That’s it. He was paid well for his efforts. He coached like a high school coach. That’s just the truth. Accept it instead of arguing about something that you’d, once again, be wrong about.
"He coached like a high school coach." Is that the truth? Or is that an opinion?

There are multiple examples of him saying his opinion is the truth or a fact.

I can tell you that it IS a fact that Division I-AA football is no longer called that, and it hasn't been called that for 15+ years.

It may be semantics, but we're talking about a poster that often confuses opinions and facts/truth. For example:

"He coached like a high school coach." Is that the truth? Or is that an opinion?

There are multiple examples of him saying his opinion is the truth or a fact.

I can tell you that it IS a fact that Division I-AA football is no longer called that, and it hasn't been called that for 15+ years.
That is entirely correct

So my take always from this thread are:
1. ST really put us in bad situations last year, and
2. Former coaches for NU that struggled in their time here as a coach only deserve respect and well wishes if they also played here too
3. After time and again, and again, bringing up his failings.
Agreed adding 3.

So my take always from this thread are:
1. ST really put us in bad situations last year, and
2. Former coaches for NU that struggled in their time here as a coach only deserve respect and well wishes if they also played here too

Shockingly, that's not accurate. But in this particular case, I think Greg Austin deserves a little better than being described as a high school coach and him being let go as "taking out the trash". If that makes me a bad person for thinking that, then so be it.

NU has 3 O-Linemen during the SF/GA era that are in the NFL (Jurgens, MFarnoik, BJameis). Talent has been there.
Agree big time. I think the talent is there now. But to me it has not reflected in their play here. Martinez was often running for his life. SF was so desperate he had to convert Jurgens. My issue is not talent, it's coaching and scheme.

Have you ever referred to the athletic teams based in Lincoln NE as the Huskers versus Cornhuskers? Its a different moniker.

Regarding this "respect" idea ... I don't think a former Nebraska player has earned a lifetime of respect due to his playing time in Lincoln.

Greg Austin was a much better player than a coach -- at least thus far. I've personally never seen more problems with the offensive line these past few years than I have in any stretch of my lifetime as a fan.

I don't believe a former player/now coach deserves better "treatment" from the fans and media due to the fact that years ago he played for the team. A coach is judged on coaching -- and nothing else matters much if at all. If we choose to negatively criticize Austin, it has nothing to do with his playing days -- and it doesn't mean we "hate" the guy. He was a poor coach and was a key contributor to our many losses.

Some seem to be suggesting that just because Greg Austin was a quality starter for the Huskers 15+ years ago, he deserves less criticism for his coaching. To each their own, of course. Heck, if that's the case, may as well hire only former Husker players as coaches. Less reason to get upset if they suck as coaches -- since, of course, they once played for us.

It's very clear there's a segment of our fan base that will openly criticize the coaches. There's another segment that will readily criticize the fans for their criticism of the coaches -- something I never imagined when a coach and his staff produce four consecutive losing seasons. This can only be explained by this concept of "respect" earned by being a former Nebraska football player. Greg Austin = Scott Frost in this regard.

Shockingly, that's not accurate. But in this particular case, I think Greg Austin deserves a little better than being described as a high school coach and him being let go as "taking out the trash". If that makes me a bad person for thinking that, then so be it.
Never said you were a bad person at all. But I've also never seen you rushing to defend Riley or his coaches either.

Never said you were a bad person at all. But I've also never seen you rushing to defend Riley or his coaches either.
Regarding this "respect" idea ... I don't think a former Nebraska player has earned a lifetime of respect due to his playing time in Lincoln.

Greg Austin was a much better player than a coach -- at least thus far. I've personally never seen more problems with the offensive line these past few years than I have in any stretch of my lifetime as a fan.

I don't believe a former player/now coach deserves better "treatment" from the fans and media due to the fact that years ago he played for the team. A coach is judged on coaching -- and nothing else matters much if at all. If we choose to negatively criticize Austin, it has nothing to do with his playing days -- and it doesn't mean we "hate" the guy. He was a poor coach and was a key contributor to our many losses.

Some seem to be suggesting that just because Greg Austin was a quality starter for the Huskers 15+ years ago, he deserves less criticism for his coaching. To each their own, of course. Heck, if that's the case, may as well hire only former Husker players as coaches. Less reason to get upset if they suck as coaches -- since, of course, they once played for us.

It's very clear there's a segment of our fan base that will openly criticize the coaches. There's another segment that will readily criticize the fans for their criticism of the coaches -- something I never imagined when a coach and his staff produce four consecutive losing seasons. This can only be explained by this concept of "respect" earned by being a former Nebraska football player. Greg Austin = Scott Frost in this regard.

I guess I didn't realize there would be this much resistance against not wanting Greg Austin to be referred to in such a negative way. I stand corrected.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back