• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

43 points

Meh. I guess I am seen as a Frost and Martinez apologist but the truth is Frost should have fired Austin at least the year before and begged Vedral to stay. To me, it was the right move to keep Frost IF he can move us forward. This is the most positive I have been as a Husker fan since we fired Riley. Seven wins plus or he's had his chance.
Right on

The distinction, I note, on how a coach is discussed revolves around two items, whom is doing the assessing, and what that assessor knows about coaching. Any person whom lands a job as a college coach at any level, without yet having worked a day, can coach. But that fact may not have any bearing on them being successful.
Yes, one can be a good coach and not find success. Some of that can be circumstance with other staff, support, etc, and some can be a misfit in style or scheme.
An excellent coach can flourish in less favorable conditions, but only if they are a match to those worked with in style and scheme. A good coach needs more help. How this applies in the arguments posted here is that few of us are capable of determining the variable involved, and without having been a coach themselves, can really only speak to one observable item.
Was the coach successful here or not. That we can all see. As to why, that can only accurately be known by those in the profession, and even then, likely not fully without talking to someone involved.
From my vantage, Austin was not successful in garnering the type of performance needed from these kids. As to how good a coach he is, I don't know anywhere in the neighborhood of enough to assess that. I would only hope that someone arguing his level of ability would have themselves coached that position at the level to which they ascribe him.
And while it matters not to me what someone calls another (nor calls me for that matter), I have read multiple accounts of Austin's players expressing their fondness and appreciation for him. It would be extremely difficult for me to term such a person as "trash".

Really well said. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing and situation. I think Austin can coach, but it just didn't work out here. I suspect that it might be that what he and Frost did on the OL couldn't be replicated here at Nebraska and in the B10.

B10 has a need for some real earth movers inside as every team has a NT who can blow things up, at UCF he has access to really athletic guys on the OL who could run and move and those guys were really successful, but he wasn't able to recreate that success in the B10 - either because we were able to recruit different kinds of linemen or because the model just won't work in the B10.

For whatever reason it didn't work out here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well somewhere else in the future. Remember he was the OL coach for a 13-0 team that may not have played in the B10, but did beat a well regarded Auburn team to end the season.

Geez man. It was a joke considering Philly has been in the Frost camp. I appreciated his original POV. Don't think my post required a half page explanation about the "two sides" when there has been a full on fight going on before and after my post that was all but left ignored.

A chuckle or a full-on laugh is a healthy thing. Maybe folks should start there .

Well alright then..... ;)
:Rockon:

Trust me I laugh a lot on this forum but that thanks for the advice anyway if I ever need a psychologist I will keep you in mind :Eek: :Lol:

Full on fight now that's funny

Cheers

Keep on posting.....

Last edited:
Why is it always about the pay? Fact is most coaches are paid according to the market and what the perceived value is for the doing the job. Is pay really the determining factor on whether someone can be criticized for doing a poor job...and thus, can only a person who makes very little money be lauded for doing a great job?

If the going rate for a kid to mow the lawn is $10 an hour and you get the neighbor to do it for $5 and he does a terrible job, do you then lavish him with praise because the pay was not stellar? Get over the bottom line of how much coaches get paid, because they get what the market says they can get. You can be critical, but that isn't a valid reason for it.
Ask Trev? It is about the pay. If it wasn’t, all of them would have been gone. The only reason Frost is still here, is because he had 20m in buyout left. Trev made a deal to lower that. If the buyout was 7m, NU would have a new staff totally right now. Anytime a person is paid big money, the stakes are higher. No one will here about the $10 dollar yard mower, or the $12 dishwasher. They’d just cut bait and move on. It is about the money.

I like SF, I like GA, one had to go, the other has to prove he should stay.
I'm in the camp of, let us not be like Texas and go round and round with coaching hires going nowhere.
We need SF to stick this year
Considering nearly every single person was happy as a pig in slop when Frost was hired, I’d agree, most would love to see him turn this around, myself included. It would be best for Nebraska. It took the 4 losing seasons for him to make changes. I’m not sure he’d have made changes had he not been forced. Let’s hope the new dudes make a difference. I think most everyone would enjoy that.

Ask Trev? It is about the pay. If it wasn’t, all of them would have been gone. The only reason Frost is still here, is because he had 20m in buyout left. Trev made a deal to lower that. If the buyout was 7m, NU would have a new staff totally right now. Anytime a person is paid big money, the stakes are higher. No one will here about the $10 dollar yard mower, or the $12 dishwasher. They’d just cut bait and move on. It is about the money.
Dont conflate the programs obligations with a coaches worth/pay.
Yes, the PROGRAM had to cover themselves, as they do with every coach.

Why is it always about the pay? Fact is most coaches are paid according to the market and what the perceived value is for the doing the job. Is pay really the determining factor on whether someone can be criticized for doing a poor job...and thus, can only a person who makes very little money be lauded for doing a great job?

If the going rate for a kid to mow the lawn is $10 an hour and you get the neighbor to do it for $5 and he does a terrible job, do you then lavish him with praise because the pay was not stellar? Get over the bottom line of how much coaches get paid, because they get what the market says they can get. You can be critical, but that isn't a valid reason for it.
Haven’t read much on teachers have you

Let’s pay coaches of a game what they make and teachers what coaches make.

Dont conflate the programs obligations with a coaches worth/pay.
Yes, the PROGRAM had to cover themselves, as they do with every coach.
I’m not. It’s about results also, and GA didn’t produce any results. End of story. Not even sure why this is being argued here. He did a lousy job, and it showed, former Husker or not. Why is anyone even arguing this? Damn.

I’m not. It’s about results also, and GA didn’t produce any results. End of story. Not even sure why this is being argued here. He did a lousy job, and it showed, former Husker or not. Why is anyone even arguing this? Damn.
On one side its all about results, thats the coaching end.
Separate from the athletic/program/Uni part, the money.

Just pointing out specifics. You cant conflate the two and have the Uni tell them all pay cut by thirds and expect ever to win.

No ones arguing it wasnt time for a change.

On one side its all about results, thats the coaching end.
Separate from the athletic/program/Uni part, the money.

Just pointing out specifics. You cant conflate the two and have the Uni tell them all pay cut by thirds and expect ever to win.

No ones arguing it wasnt time for a change.
3 years to late

It was clearly evident after 2019. The buddy/friend system didn’t work out too well at NU.
I think without the virus and more normal circumstances, it would have shown more clearly sooner.
That whole debacle played into much of this to varying degrees as well.
Nothing was simply business as usual.
Not excuse making, the clearly and sooner expresses that, but it was what it was.

I think without the virus and more normal circumstances, it would have shown more clearly sooner.
That whole debacle played into much of this to varying degrees as well.
Nothing was simply business as usual.
Not excuse making, the clearly and sooner expresses that, but it was what it was.
2019 was BEFORE the pandemic. One losing season was eye opening, two was alarming. Little was addressed, except a puppet OC change. Then came 3, nothing, then 4 and forced changes. Not many leaders would have put up with that.

2019 was BEFORE the pandemic. One losing season was eye opening, two was alarming. Little was addressed, except a puppet OC change. Then came 3, nothing, then 4 and forced changes. Not many leaders would have put up with that.
Yet we showed well each year in our run game in the Big, but also very thin every year.
But when it started showing promise in game four two years ago, but because of being thin and injury at RB, Rutgers showed it was coming together with consistency.
By game four last year, the injury monster reappeared with Gabe getting hurt and Yant not knowing the playbook and out of shape, a decent showing was still had by Rahmir, but no consistency and depth destroyed at RB .
Missing on RB transfers has hurt us as well.
Establishing AMs play was admirable, the WR depth horrible after year one til last year, our run game never broke through for the reasons I mentioned and the lines play effecting all the above.

Gone is our WR coach, our RB coach and our O line coach.
While timing may be an issue with some fans, I could lie to myself and pretend I didnt see all these things and play armchair QB and be still pretty much where I'm at now, but claim it should have come earlier.

But I'm of the belief, the powers that be dont want what was once here, nor do they want to be Texas and their merry go round of underperforming teams and coaches. That's where I'm at too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back