• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If I’m the backup quarterbacks!

If Frost makes it to year 4, I think it would be better for both Nebraska and AM if they part company. Fresh start and whatnot. AM will likely get a free agent contract if he declares or he can try to level up with a different team/coaching staff.

It'll probably be a disaster sandwich, but let's see where the program is under Frost with a QB other than AM.

IF 2AM leaves after this year:

Logan Smothers 3yr Soph
Heinrich Haarberg 2yr RsFr
Matt Masker Jr(walk-on)
Richard Torres Fr. (ACL)

I am sure Coaches have all the Trust, Faith, Confidence, Good Intentions in this group, but...............

It doesn't matter the level of football, your QB as Cowherd says is the most important position in all of sports.
If Smothers doesn't play in any more games he can redshirt and be a freshman

Haarberg is the guy, and the only reason he’s not playing is to preserve his redshirt. If Martinez were to go down for an extended period of time, they would be willing to burn his redshirt. If anyone is looking to transfer out, it should/will be Smothers.
They can technically play 4 games and still maintain their redshirt status.

Fans are so ridiculous
Guys are announcing that HH is going to be great. All we know is he has a strong arm. His accuracy could be bad. He could be a gun slinger who throws lots of pics. We have no idea yet of course us intelligent fans know lmao.
AM didn't play that bad.
Monday night I watched as Josh Allen twice not see open guys on routes. Saw him throw to an open target too high on an incomplete on. Slip on a qb sneak. Am frustrates me too and he was off a little but qbs do that stuff. Hh may be great but fans will bitch about him all day long once he's the starter

Last edited:
Haarberg is the guy, and the only reason he’s not playing is to preserve his redshirt. If Martinez were to go down for an extended period of time, they would be willing to burn his redshirt. If anyone is looking to transfer out, it should/will be Smothers.
You have no clue if that's true but ok let's act like you do
Let's assume haarberg is awesome.
We don't know that.
Just like everyone assumed R johnson should transfer this spring.
Fans don't know crap

Last edited:
Fans are so ridiculous
Guys are announcing that HH is going to be great. All we know is he has a strong arm. His accuracy could be bad. He could be a gun slinger who throws lots of pics. We have no idea yet of course us intelligent fans know lmao.
AM didn't play that bad.
Monday night I watched as Josh Allen twice not see open guys on routes. Saw him throw to an open target too high on an incomplete on. Slip on a qb sneak. Am frustrates me too and he was off a little but qbs do that stuff. Hh may be great but fans will bitch about him all day long once he's the starter
Nailed it. Fans won’t micro-analyze other qbs in the same fashion they do AM to find out why he has great statistics. Other qbs make the same mistakes or more but our fans have taken on the narrative of bad decision maker, slow blinker, poor mechanics and such about AM just because they heard the narrative from someone else. Not because they watched other qbs and compared him to them.

Last edited:
You have no clue if that's true but ok let's act like you do
Let's assume haarberg is awesome.
We don't know that.
Just like everyone assumed R johnson should transfer this spring.
Fans don't know crap
Nailed it. Fans won’t micro-analyze other qbs in the same fashion they do AM to find out why he has great statistics. Other qbs make the same mistakes or more but our fans have taken on the narrative of bad decision maker, slow blinker, poor mechanics and such about AM just because they heard the narrative from someone else. Not because they watched other qbs and compared him to them.
Well I can’t speak for everyone but yes I watch a lot of other quarterbacks play. Of course I also never have said Smothers or HH or better because well I’ve never seen them play. He throws off his back door a lot another quarterback that does that is Patrick Mahomes but he’s got a way stronger arm. These criticisms aren’t just from our fan base. National anaylists and NFL scouts have written and said the same things. No other quarterbacks in the history of the sport has as many turnovers. He had an excellent game against Oklahoma. It was statistically his best throwing game of the season. He misses a lot of throws. Even when he completes passé very rarely is he on target. Receivers constantly have to stop and adjust to his throws. Once again saying other fans are ridiculous or acting like you two know more. You’re just fans like the rest of us. Your opinion is just that. I’m not mad at you for it but don’t say other people don’t watch or don’t know. That’s when people like me snap back at you.

Well I can’t speak for everyone but yes I watch a lot of other quarterbacks play. Of course I also never have said Smothers or HH or better because well I’ve never seen them play. He throws off his back door a lot another quarterback that does that is Patrick Mahomes but he’s got a way stronger arm. These criticisms aren’t just from our fan base. National anaylists and NFL scouts have written and said the same things. No other quarterbacks in the history of the sport has as many turnovers. He had an excellent game against Oklahoma. It was statistically his best throwing game of the season. He misses a lot of throws. Even when he completes passé very rarely is he on target. Receivers constantly have to stop and adjust to his throws. Once again saying other fans are ridiculous or acting like you two know more. You’re just fans like the rest of us. Your opinion is just that. I’m not mad at you for it but don’t say other people don’t watch or don’t know. That’s when people like me snap back at you.
Actually you are the only one that snaps back at me. Others “respond” back to me that they don’t agree with my opinion.

Fans are so ridiculous
AM didn't play that bad.
I think Allen and Buffalo lost that game. If those mistakes would be made game after game resulting in losses I would believe he would not be starting next year.

We have almost 4 years of watching AM and stats may look great but what are the results. It is not just an AM problem but a team problem. I watch a lot of college football and I see other QB‘s that lead their team to win without great stats but are gamers when the game is on the line. I don’t know what our backups bring to the table but the results are all that matter. Currently the results are not what are expected so why not see if you have a gamer sitting on the bench?

Actually you are the only one that snaps back at me. Others “respond” back to me that they don’t agree with my opinion.
Well I just responded I didn’t snap. I snapped at you because you keep saying things like people don’t know football or obviously never played the game. Look I apologize for snapping at you. I prefer a conversation. I acknowledge my part in us arguing. I’ve moved on from it. Hopefully you have as well. I agree with you on a lot of things just not Martinez. So we can agree to disagree.

I think Allen and Buffalo lost that game. If those mistakes would be made game after game resulting in losses I would believe he would not be starting next year.

We have almost 4 years of watching AM and stats may look great but what are the results. It is not just an AM problem but a team problem. I watch a lot of college football and I see other QB‘s that lead their team to win without great stats but are gamers when the game is on the line. I don’t know what our backups bring to the table but the results are all that matter. Currently the results are not what are expected so why not see if you have a gamer sitting on the bench?
Absolutely agree that we aren’t getting the results. I’m not as upset as most in regards to AM not winning us games on the last drive. I’m more upset with us not having the game put away in the first 3.5 quarters. We seem so focused on AMs last mistakes and gloss over the points we should have had by bad play calling, decisions to go or not go in the red zone and unforced errors earlier in the game.
I think there has been a couple of games…..Minnesota and Michigan State for sure that was lost earlier in the game by Scott Frosts decisions. Then there might be one thread on it. But we get another 10 threads against AM because of his mistakes on the last drive trying to make something happen. Im just not a believer that we aren’t getting the results because of AM.

Well I just responded I didn’t snap. I snapped at you because you keep saying things like people don’t know football or obviously never played the game. Look I apologize for snapping at you. I prefer a conversation. I acknowledge my part in us arguing. I’ve moved on from it. Hopefully you have as well. I agree with you on a lot of things just not Martinez. So we can agree to disagree.
Hey you were the one saying you were snapping at me. And yes I have moved on but won’t trust you to engage again. Prefer you just not respond to my posts like you did in this thread. Both us and the board will be better served.

Absolutely agree that we aren’t getting the results. I’m not as upset as most in regards to AM not winning us games on the last drive. I’m more upset with us not having the game put away in the first 3.5 quarters. We seem so focused on AMs last mistakes and gloss over the points we should have had by bad play calling, decisions to go or not go in the red zone and unforced errors earlier in the game.
I think there has been a couple of games…..Minnesota and Michigan State for sure that was lost earlier in the game by Scott Frosts decisions. Then there might be one thread on it. But we get another 10 threads against AM because of his mistakes on the last drive trying to make something happen. Im just not a believer that we aren’t getting the results because of AM
Regardless of how the game has gone, when you have a chance at the end of the game it is the QB that has to elevate the team to get the win.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back