• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If I’m the backup quarterbacks!

I'm not sure what Chris Collingsworth has to say about it, but I remember Chris Collinsworth saying that Miami was too fast for Nebraska's offense even in the 4th quarter of the 1995 Orange Bowl. But I'm sure he's got it all figured out.

Can you please let Ohio State (and probably 10 other teams) know that the spread won't work in the Big 10?

Do you think it will work in the SEC?

More importantly, do you even watch college football?
Frosts spread doesnt work. OSU is highly modified as is the other 10 if that is truly correct. I sent emails to all the AD s warning them but I think we have to wait until next year to see if they read the email. Chris C is one of the brilliant and respected talking heads on tv so he must know something along wiht this guy.

Haarberg is the guy, and the only reason he’s not playing is to preserve his redshirt. If Martinez were to go down for an extended period of time, they would be willing to burn his redshirt. If anyone is looking to transfer out, it should/will be Smothers.
With only four games left, can't he play and still preserve his redhsirt year?

IMO, it has nothing to do with the preparedness of the backup QB. Frost oversold Martinez (unwisely, as he didn't even play his Sr. yearin high school) and is to proud/stubborn/loyal/cocky to admint he erred. That and unrealistic expectation placed upon Martinez early (pre-season Heisman candidate his So. year) have fans clamoring for playing time for 3rd string QBs. Martinez is the best we have, period. Remember when QB Frost lost to Arizona State his first year? Even then, fans were clamoring for a change at QB. TO himself said Frost was the best we had so what was the point. If we're going to break out the pitch forks, we ought to start demanding more playing time for 2nd string O-liners, which is just as ludicrous.

I rambled a bit there, sorry.

Isn’t it weird in year four not to have anyone they feel comfortable with if the starter is hurt? Other teams have backups that play and Martinez takes a beating. Why not protect tge kid and program by having someone else ready.
If you knew the number of times we’ve trotted out a dinged up starter at QB, as well as about every other position, you might have a different take on the staff’s decision making. Crouch was barely able to put his arms above his head some weeks, and passing was near impossible. Gill was gimping around on a leg that had nerve damage. I don’t even want to think about how brutalized Zac Taylor was, yet we still put him in the crosshairs.

When every game matters, you play the guy you have the most confidence can handle the situation. Why do we seem to always point to Tommie and Brook? Because it was such a rare luxury to have two guys capable of being starters on a National Championship caliber team.

HH is the only QB on staff that can throw.

Martinez can’t….Logan had have his throwing motion reworked. In other words can’t throw.

As much as Frost wants/needs to throw it. I’m surprise he doesn’t get a QB on the field that can actually throw with proper mechanics.

If you knew the number of times we’ve trotted out a dinged up starter at QB, as well as about every other position, you might have a different take on the staff’s decision making. Crouch was barely able to put his arms above his head some weeks, and passing was near impossible. Gill was gimping around on a leg that had nerve damage. I don’t even want to think about how brutalized Zac Taylor was, yet we still put him in the crosshairs.

When every game matters, you play the guy you have the most confidence can handle the situation. Why do we seem to always point to Tommie and Brook? Because it was such a rare luxury to have two guys capable of being starters on a National Championship caliber team.
I don’t disagree with that. I do think it’s incumbent on the coach to have a backup ready to play. Im not sure if we do or don’t. I don’t know why other teams quarterbacks look like all Americans against us but average against everyone else. I really wanted Frost to succeed and I’m really sad it didn’t happen. I just pile on Martinez too much so I decided I will pile on the coaches instead.

I don’t disagree with that. I do think it’s incumbent on the coach to have a backup ready to play. Im not sure if we do or don’t. I don’t know why other teams quarterbacks look like all Americans against us but average against everyone else. I really wanted Frost to succeed and I’m really sad it didn’t happen. I just pile on Martinez too much so I decided I will pile on the coaches instead.
Most backups QBs are an emergency only situation. If AM gets a serious injury or concussed, we have a backup ready. If he has the sniffles, or injury he can realistically play through, it’s unlikely we see the backup, and that’s not unique. Some teams may have a 1A and 1B in their QB room, but those are the exceptions, not the norm.

This does make good sense, especially the bolded. The question I have is this: Where do you draw the line? Do you play the experienced QB who is hampered, even when it reduces your Offensive capability? Or makes you easier to defend, and perhaps one dimensional? When you remove the QB run from the Frost Offense, you take a huge amount of production out of it. I could understand it more if we had a dominant OL and could approach the game like TO did in starting Turman vs K-State. But we don't, a large part of the rush Offense is from the QB position. If Frost still played AM knowing the QB run game was out of the arsenal, then Smothers or Haarberg must be really far away from being game ready. I would then ask: Why are Smothers & Haarberg not able to take the field in the 2nd year in the system?

This does make good sense, especially the bolded. The question I have is this: Where do you draw the line? Do you play the experienced QB who is hampered, even when it reduces your Offensive capability? Or makes you easier to defend, and perhaps one dimensional? When you remove the QB run from the Frost Offense, you take a huge amount of production out of it. I could understand it more if we had a dominant OL and could approach the game like TO did in starting Turman vs K-State. But we don't, a large part of the rush Offense is from the QB position. If Frost still played AM knowing the QB run game was out of the arsenal, then Smothers or Haarberg must be really far away from being game ready. I would then ask: Why are Smothers & Haarberg not able to take the field in the 2nd year in the system?
Here’s the other side of that question; does AM make plays other than just by individual runs? He’s had some good passing games, run the option well, is getting better with ball fakes, AND has 4 years of experience playing against most of these defenses and personnel. How much is that weighted against his ability to break off a long run?

I’m not saying it was the right decision, I’m just saying I understand a lot is going into making that decision.

Here’s the other side of that question; does AM make plays other than just by individual runs? He’s had some good passing games, run the option well, is getting better with ball fakes, AND has 4 years of experience playing against most of these defenses and personnel. How much is that weighted against his ability to break off a long run?

I’m not saying it was the right decision, I’m just saying I understand a lot is going into making that decision.
And, I think those are also valid points. AM gives you the most experience by far, and I agree that his passing wasn't as good as we have seen in the past. I don't know the right answer either, and for all I know playing Smothers/Haarberg would have led to us getting blown out. But the QB run game, and AM's elusiveness to get away from poor pass protection, have been the source of a lot of production and big plays. Frost had to know that his Offense would be hampered, and it would be nice if another QB would have been given at least a shot when Frost could see that AM wasn't accurate in the passing game vs Minnesota. Hopefully the backup QBs can make some strides, because I think AM is probably going to take some shots vs the teams coming up on the schedule. I will be surprised if AM doesn't get knocked out of the game in the next couple weeks, especially since his escapability is hampered.

Last edited:
Wonder if part of the decision was "flow of the game?" What I mean by that is Martinez' first series was awful. Second series got points. He got crushed on a 3rd down play but that was due to the Guard getting annihilated. Believe the 3rd series we scored a TD? At the end of the half was a really bad series.

Third quarter offense looked great, a third of the way into the 4th quarter it fell apart; was the thinking by the 4th quarter it was too late to put in another QB in a tight ball game?

And no, am not defending Frost or any coaches as I really want to see Mario move on. Get a new RB coach, move Held into lead recruiting role and combine the QB coach into QB/RB coach. Also of course new OL coach........that's if there are a couple of more wins this year.

So if AM is gone next season we start the season with QB's that have almost ZERO game experience? Doesn't sound like a great plan unless SF thinks he can find a decent QB from the portal? If we have any blowouts the rest of the season (probably Neb getting blown out) then give a backup playing time. Have nothing to lose if we're not going to bowl anyway.

IF 2AM leaves after this year:

Logan Smothers 3yr Soph
Heinrich Haarberg 2yr RsFr
Matt Masker Jr(walk-on)
Richard Torres Fr. (ACL)

I am sure Coaches have all the Trust, Faith, Confidence, Good Intentions in this group, but...............

It doesn't matter the level of football, your QB as Cowherd says is the most important position in all of sports.

So if AM is gone next season we start the season with QB's that have almost ZERO game experience? Doesn't sound like a great plan unless SF thinks he can find a decent QB from the portal? If we have any blowouts the rest of the season (probably Neb getting blown out) then give a backup playing time. Have nothing to lose if we're not going to bowl anyway.
This is what I don't quite follow. There are those saying that the Offense is going to better next year, because everyone returning (OL especially) will have more experience. The only way that makes any sense is if AM comes back, and I haven't heard him make that announcement yet. I am assuming AM graduates unless we are told different. So, I guess many are counting AM's return as a given. Other wise, you have a new QB. Which, at this point, will be one of two guys that aren't even close to AM and aren't ready to even get on the field this year unless the game is out of hand. Next year, is one of these backups going to be better than AM at running a spread based Offense?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back