• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If I’m the backup quarterbacks!

Hey you were the one saying you were snapping at me. And yes I have moved on but won’t trust you to engage again. Prefer you just not respond to my posts like you did in this thread. Both us and the board will be better served.
Well I apologized the way a man does when he’s acknowledging his part in something. You deserved someone to say something to you. When you make statements that people don’t know football or don’t understand quarterback play. Also you made a completely false claim about me in your posts. Granted I had already snapped at you but you made up a lie and threw it at me. I never once have begged you for information. That pissed me off. I won’t respond to you that’s fine but a bit juvenile. Have a great day!

Well I can’t speak for everyone but yes I watch a lot of other quarterbacks play. Of course I also never have said Smothers or HH or better because well I’ve never seen them play. He throws off his back door a lot another quarterback that does that is Patrick Mahomes but he’s got a way stronger arm. These criticisms aren’t just from our fan base. National anaylists and NFL scouts have written and said the same things. No other quarterbacks in the history of the sport has as many turnovers. He had an excellent game against Oklahoma. It was statistically his best throwing game of the season. He misses a lot of throws. Even when he completes passé very rarely is he on target. Receivers constantly have to stop and adjust to his throws. Once again saying other fans are ridiculous or acting like you two know more. You’re just fans like the rest of us. Your opinion is just that. I’m not mad at you for it but don’t say other people don’t watch or don’t know. That’s when people like me snap back at you.
My post was not pointed at you. Your posts on AM are usually inteligent and thought out. AM is a good QB. Great? no
But he gets more criticism that is warranted.
HH may or my not be great, nobody knows but its funny how people on this board know LOL
And again, thats not you

I
My post was not pointed at you. Your posts on AM are usually inteligent and thought out. AM is a good QB. Great? no
HH may or my not be great, nobody knows but its funny how people on this board know LOL
And again, thats not you
I know that and my response was more for the other poster. He responded so that’s put to rest. You and I have good conversations. GBR!!!:Cheers:

And again, thats not you
I respectfully beg to differ on AM. Do you think for a minute that if AM was a gamer with a solid football IQ that SF record would be above 500?

The loyalty given to AM exceeds his performance on gamedays

He is not by any means our only problem but his role is the most important so not getting a consistent high level of play is unacceptable if you want to win games. SF chose to play an injured AM on saturday and he was god awful in first half. It continues to be mind numbing how bad of a coach SF is

You have no clue if that's true but ok let's act like you do
Let's assume haarberg is awesome.
We don't know that.
Just like everyone assumed R johnson should transfer this spring.
Fans don't know crap
You’re more than free to go back and look at any of my past comments regarding rumors, or thoughts from those that I know still within the program. I make it pretty known when something is my opinion or when something is information that’s been given to me by those that I know that work with the team everyday. Feel free to believe me, or don’t, I’m 100% okay with either.

They can technically play 4 games and still maintain their redshirt status.
That’s correct, and they want to preserve his redshirt no matter what, which is why he hasn't played at all, for the fear of AM going down for an extended period, and then us needing to use him for more than 4.

That’s all I know as to why he hasn’t played yet, but my guess would be that he will likely get some snaps if we’re in a position to over the remaining 4 games.

If they don’t believe Haarbeerg is the guy they better be looking. Otherwise we will be thin at Qb Especially if Martinez leaves.
I'd say maybe more then one QB a year could be in store for recruiting to build some depth. But not this year with the small class. But if Marty leaves, I'd probably look at the portal or JC. But those guys would expect to start. See Utah and Brewer this year.

If Frost is indeed fighting for his job down the stretch, I really doubt you will see much of Haarberg. Maybe Haarberg will be great or just be so-so...the spring game is the only gauge we have at the college level and its not much to go on.

I thought it was interesting that Frost said there were 2 reasons why he didn't run a QB sneak when they were 2" from goal line. One was that he saw Minny was doing a good job against QB sneaks but he never said the other one. I'm just guessing the other reason was AM's ankle wasn't good and couldn't push off the way it would be needed under center? Why not use Smothers or Masker for that play? We have a pretty good center that should get enough space for the QB under center to get 2"? Seems reasonable at least to ask the question just how banged up was AM based on the way he played.
Right, Masker weighs 220, [especially if TA isn't 100%]. Or, why not try the Wildcat instead of AM? Or a jump pass to Allen? By playing a hurt QB you risk more significant injuries and possibly losing our starting QB for the rest of the season (not necessarily bad this season, again). Very little development/playing time of our backup QBs, again.....

Last edited:
If Martinez is gone, and neither Haarberg or Smothers progress, my guys tell me it would be Haarberg. Some of that is on Smothers not progressing as much, and Haarberg coming in better than what coaches anticipated. It’s funny, Haarberg was supposed to be another project like McCafrey and the reigns were supposed to be handed to Smothers, but after the coaches had the spring and summer with HH, kids supposed to have a cannon.
I'm going to completely disagree with you. Your people may be telling you the HH has upside and ability - I don't disagree with that. He has the tools to be Justin Herbert 2.0. But he's not the answer this year or probably next. Dude is a PROJECT. He completed less than 55% of his passes in Class C-1 Nebraska. In the spring game everyone remembers he completed the two passes late. But before the drive with the funny clock work he was 7-21 for about 60 yards. He wasn't good throwing - air mails and grounders galore. The reason you saw Masker and not HH against Fordam and Northwestern isn't because they were trying to preserve HH's redshirt, it's because they want to get Masker some reps incase we need to play our 3rd string guy. Frost is fighting for his job, do you really think he's worried about HH's fifth year right now?

HH is an athlete, he can run. He may start in 2023 and 2024. But if you put HH in today against a 1st string B1G defense you'll see Luke McCaffery 2.0.

I'm going to completely disagree with you. Your people may be telling you the HH has upside and ability - I don't disagree with that. He has the tools to be Justin Herbert 2.0. But he's not the answer this year or probably next. Dude is a PROJECT. He completed less than 55% of his passes in Class C-1 Nebraska. In the spring game everyone remembers he completed the two passes late. But before the drive with the funny clock work he was 7-21 for about 60 yards. He wasn't good throwing - air mails and grounders galore. The reason you saw Masker and not HH against Fordam and Northwestern isn't because they were trying to preserve HH's redshirt, it's because they want to get Masker some reps incase we need to play our 3rd string guy. Frost is fighting for his job, do you really think he's worried about HH's fifth year right now?

HH is an athlete, he can run. He may start in 2023 and 2024. But if you put HH in today against a 1st string B1G defense you'll see Luke McCaffery 2.0.
Gonna take this one step further. There is no way HH would play or be effective with the present OL. He is the least mobile of the QB's and would have been carted off on a stretcher against Minnesota.

Gonna take this one step further. There is no way HH would play or be effective with the present OL. He is the least mobile of the QB's and would have been carted off on a stretcher against Minnesota.
Minnesota only had two sacks and two pressures all game. There where times that Martinez put himself in harms way by not trusting his pocket, which part of me understands. Today’s game they barely hit passing quarterbacks. Can’t go low it’s a penalty, go high it’s targeting, can’t throw the guy down that’s a penalty. Most of the hits in Martinez’s career that have hurt him are on running plays.

You make a valid point. Whoever we put at QB behind this OL sure as hell better be able to read Defenses quickly and have a quick release, or they will get killed. But, there are times when the OL does a decent job at pass-pro and we can't connect with a WR because of poor throws. We also need an accurate QB, maybe even more than a mobile one right now. Quick reads and release doesn't describe AM's skillset either, so we are in a bit of a pickle when the Offense fields an injured AM who can't run. Many of AM's big plays have been with is legs.....

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back