• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If I’m the backup quarterbacks!

I'm guessing it's because they don't practice going under center, so that's a greater risk than your 235 lb running not being able to gain 2". It's a TD if the turf monster doesn't reach up and tackle Yant.
We actually agree on this. I would add most teams don’t go under center anymore.

I'm guessing it's because they don't practice going under center, so that's a greater risk than your 235 lb running not being able to gain 2". It's a TD if the turf monster doesn't reach up and tackle Yant.
You're probably correct but it's really hard to rationalize the offense wouldn't practice taking some snaps under center. Oh well...........

You're probably correct but it's really hard to rationalize the offense wouldn't practice taking some snaps under center. Oh well...........
I would probably try to work on it, too, but we also need all the practice reps we can get for our base offense.

Either way, the odds of Yant faceplanting are pretty low, shotgun or otherwise.

Do you know how long it took Tom Osborne to put in a shotgun formation? I don't think he did it until Frazier came along. Coaches can be stubborn. :)

Haarberg is the guy, and the only reason he’s not playing is to preserve his redshirt. If Martinez were to go down for an extended period of time, they would be willing to burn his redshirt. If anyone is looking to transfer out, it should/will be Smothers.
HE can play in every game left, they have a 5 game exemption.

I would probably try to work on it, too, but we also need all the practice reps we can get for our base offense.

Do you know how long it took Tom Osborne to put in a shotgun formation? I don't think he did it until Frazier came along. Coaches can be stubborn. :)
It has nothing to do with being stubborn. You have less rushing capability when in the shotgun than you do with the QB under center. Shotgun is more passing than rushing according to Chris Collingsworth and he probably forgot more than you or I about football.

As far as losing reps for our base offense, so what? We have lost 25 games in that stupid spread formation. Who ever we get to replace Frost, please please please run a regular formation not the crap Duckster spread we have seen the last 4 years. It wont work in the B1G.

If I'm a backup quarterback...I'm wondering what it is that:
1) I am not doing right in practice
2) What I'm not capable of doing over a starting qb that is injured
3) What I'm not doing right in school or the community
4) What 'm not doing right to gain repetitions over a guy who has literally, single handedly lost us 4 games( Illinois, Michigan St., Michigan and Minnesota)

Last edited:

Well the only thing that's really needed to practice those QB sneaks according to Brady is your QB and center. Yes I know it's Brady but the exchange for the QB when under center is one of the most basic and easy things to do on offense. I just don't see the advantage of starting from the shotgun if all you need is a yd or less for FD or TD? Lot more things can go wrong which we saw with Yant. If there's any team in college football that can have the absolute worst things go wrong at the worst times it's our Huskers! Perhaps Frost might consider practicing center to QB exchanges under center in future practices. Nah... what am I saying...

popcorn-binoculars.gif

It has nothing to do with being stubborn. You have less rushing capability when in the shotgun than you do with the QB under center. Shotgun is more passing than rushing according to Chris Collingsworth and he probably forgot more than you or I about football.

As far as losing reps for our base offense, so what? We have lost 25 games in that stupid spread formation. Who ever we get to replace Frost, please please please run a regular formation not the crap Duckster spread we have seen the last 4 years. It wont work in the B1G.
I'm not sure what Chris Collingsworth has to say about it, but I remember Chris Collinsworth saying that Miami was too fast for Nebraska's offense even in the 4th quarter of the 1995 Orange Bowl. But I'm sure he's got it all figured out.

Can you please let Ohio State (and probably 10 other teams) know that the spread won't work in the Big 10?

Do you think it will work in the SEC?

More importantly, do you even watch college football?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back