• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any real ideas who we might be looking for to replace DeWitt?

Wouldn't that depend on how "my boss" handled it? From what came out through other coaches, Dawson agonized over leaving, but he only needed one more year to qualify for the NFL pension, and other Nebraska coaches were telling him that it completely made sense to go. It wasn't some cloak-and-dagger sort of thing. If Frost brings him back, I'd be willing to wager that Frost even told him before he left that there would be a spot waiting for him if he wanted to come back.
I have no doubt that the plan was for him to come back at some point in the near future. Left on good terms, left for a good position and now he's back (probably). I don't really have issues with that.

Wouldn't that depend on how "my boss" handled it? From what came out through other coaches, Dawson agonized over leaving, but he only needed one more year to qualify for the NFL pension, and other Nebraska coaches were telling him that it completely made sense to go. It wasn't some cloak-and-dagger sort of thing. If Frost brings him back, I'd be willing to wager that Frost even told him before he left that there would be a spot waiting for him if he wanted to come back.
Yep...exactly what I was trying to say. Also agree with @70country

It was the right move for him. But you lose the high ground when you talk about players not being fully bought in if you yourself are not.
tenor_14294400_mediumgif_26136097851017.gif

Last edited:

There is a lot of speculation, murmuring, rumors about potentially another coach (or even two) also leaving, and since those rumors have yet to be squashed, it's highly likely that one or two other staff members are currently in the process of exploring other options that also haven't been finalized. Assuming that Frost wants to bring Dawson back, it's not necessarily an open & shut case that he would just take over DeWitt's responsibilities as Special Teams Coordinator and OLBs Coach. He could, but I'm not aware of him having a lot of experience with ST; does he? On the other hand, both he and Tuioti have coached both D-line and OLBs, but Chinander has also coached LBs, and it's relatively common to have a DC who also coaches a position group. Add in the potential for another coaching change anywhere, and it might make more sense to hire a new coach who coaches that group in addition to heading up ST.

I suspect that there are a lot of moving parts and potential moving parts, right now, and it's still being sorted out. Depending on how many coaches are coming and going, it's also going to affect the salary pool, which also affects contracts, which could cause a guy who's coming in to wait to commit and/or the AD & Head Coach to wait to make the announcement. At the same time the folks in and around the athletic department are going to be seeing names and responsibilities and figures, and some of that usually leaks out before things are finalized, ... which leads to lots more rumors and speculation.

Here's what I suspect based on the amount of rumors flowing: Dawson is coming back.

Here's what else I expect: some coaches, like Fischer and Held, are probably going to get significant bumps in pay for the stellar jobs that they've been doing both in their coaching and in their recruiting, and both are relatively lightly paid and could be targets to be poached away by other schools. There were rumors that other schools wanted Fisher recently, which was apparently what fed the Francois signing-day drama.
I don’t think Held is going anywhere but hopefully Fisher gets a huge raise because head coaches are going to go after him hard.

I'll give y'all the best choice, veteran respected defensive coach, former Husker player who also happens to be the currently retired/unemployed dad of the Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow - Jimmy Burrow!

Think about it, Jim isn't going to want to watch his son Joe get beat up during his first NFL season playing for the Bengals is he? And a chance to help the Blackshirts back to respectability. I don't think he would turn it down, but Athens OH isn't that far from Cincy, so maybe he would.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back