• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any real ideas who we might be looking for to replace DeWitt?

IMO I don't think that bringing back Dawson is the right move. What message does it send to the players who constantly hear how they are not "bought in"? The players have to be "bought in" but the coaches can come and go as they please?
I think taking a job in the NFL to qualify for his pension deserves a little slack.

Is it possible that you both are right?

I think taking a job in the NFL to qualify for his pension deserves a little slack.
Yeah, I read this. I read he needed "one year". Hopefully his stint with the Giants fulfilled that. I do know he was torn leaving NU. IMO, he did it for the coin 1st, experience second. But JMO.

So I think you missed my point. What we have been told is:
1: Dawson only left UNL because he wanted to secure his retirement.
2. He has been fired from the giants but no longer needs to be in the NFL because he got his pension.
3. He is HCSF primary choice.

If all of that is true than this should be very easy to close the deal It could have been done in just a couple days.
Agreed on all accounts. There may be a delay though locking him down as there may be other pieces moving and that may affect the role Dawson holds.

I would be pretty surprised if Dawson isn't brought back. I also wouldn't be upset if that's the direction it goes.

So I think you missed my point. What we have been told is:
1: Dawson only left UNL because he wanted to secure his retirement.
2. He has been fired from the giants but no longer needs to be in the NFL because he got his pension.
3. He is HCSF primary choice.

If all of that is true than this should be very easy to close the deal It could have been done in just a couple days.
My sense is that with this administration, no announcements are made until contracts are signed. Just because he might be Frost's guy doesn't mean negotiations are off the table.
There may be more coach movement, maybe Scott will do all the announcements together?
Agreed on all accounts. There may be a delay though locking him down as there may be other pieces moving and that may affect the role Dawson holds.

There is a lot of speculation, murmuring, rumors about potentially another coach (or even two) also leaving, and since those rumors have yet to be squashed, it's highly likely that one or two other staff members are currently in the process of exploring other options that also haven't been finalized. Assuming that Frost wants to bring Dawson back, it's not necessarily an open & shut case that he would just take over DeWitt's responsibilities as Special Teams Coordinator and OLBs Coach. He could, but I'm not aware of him having a lot of experience with ST; does he? On the other hand, both he and Tuioti have coached both D-line and OLBs, but Chinander has also coached LBs, and it's relatively common to have a DC who also coaches a position group. Add in the potential for another coaching change anywhere, and it might make more sense to hire a new coach who coaches that group in addition to heading up ST.

I suspect that there are a lot of moving parts and potential moving parts, right now, and it's still being sorted out. Depending on how many coaches are coming and going, it's also going to affect the salary pool, which also affects contracts, which could cause a guy who's coming in to wait to commit and/or the AD & Head Coach to wait to make the announcement. At the same time the folks in and around the athletic department are going to be seeing names and responsibilities and figures, and some of that usually leaks out before things are finalized, ... which leads to lots more rumors and speculation.

Here's what I suspect based on the amount of rumors flowing: Dawson is coming back.

Here's what else I expect: some coaches, like Fischer and Held, are probably going to get significant bumps in pay for the stellar jobs that they've been doing both in their coaching and in their recruiting, and both are relatively lightly paid and could be targets to be poached away by other schools. There were rumors that other schools wanted Fisher recently, which was apparently what fed the Francois signing-day drama.

Last edited:
There is a lot of speculation, murmuring, rumors about potentially another coach (or even two) also leaving, and since those rumors have yet to be squashed, it's highly likely that one or two other staff members are currently in the process of exploring other options that also haven't been finalized. Assuming that Frost wants to bring Dawson back, it's not necessarily an open & shut case that he would just take over DeWitt's responsibilities as Special Teams Coordinator and OLBs Coach. He could, but I'm not aware of him having a lot of experience with ST; does he? On the other hand, both he and Tuioti have coached both D-line and OLBs, but Chinander has also coached LBs, and it's relatively common to have a DC who also coaches a position group. Add in the potential for another coaching change anywhere, and it might make more sense to hire a new coach who coaches that group in addition to heading up ST.

I suspect that there are a lot of moving parts and potential moving parts, right now, and it's still being sorted out. Depending on how many coaches are coming and going, it's also going to affect the salary pool, which also affects contracts, which could cause a guy who's coming in to wait to commit and/or the AD & Head Coach to wait to make the announcement. At the same time the folks in and around the athletic department are going to be seeing names and responsibilities and figures, and some of that usually leaks out before things are finalized, ... which leads to lots more rumors and speculation.

Here's what I suspect based on the amount of rumors flowing: Dawson is coming back.

Here's what else I expect: some coaches, like Fischer and Held, are probably going to get significant bumps in pay for the stellar jobs that they've been doing both in their coaching and in their recruiting, and both are relatively lightly paid and could be targets to be poached away by other schools. There were rumors that other schools wanted Fisher recently, which was apparently what fed the Francois signing-day drama.
Dawson had a decent run as ST coach at BC earlier in the decade, but that was only 3 years. Not sure about previous stints

It was the right move for him. But you lose the high ground when you talk about players not being fully bought in if you yourself are not.
How do we know he wasn't "bought in" while coaching and recruiting? Honest question. I think you can be bought in but also make a decision that's best for you and your family. I'm sure Scott respected his opinion. And if Scott turns around and rehires him, then we will know he had no doubts about him being bought in. Just my opinion.

How do we know he wasn't "bought in" while coaching and recruiting? Honest question. I think you can be bought in but also make a decision that's best for you and your family. I'm sure Scott respected his opinion. And if Scott turns around and rehires him, then we will know he had no doubts about him being bought in. Just my opinion.
longevity is not a requirement of being “bought in”.

How would you feel is your boss left your company for a better job but then came back, while your other bosses questioned your commitment to the company?

If the coaches didnt spend the last year talking about the players not all being bought in I think the situation would be different.

How would you feel is your boss left your company for a better job but then came back, while your other bosses questioned your commitment to the company?

If the coaches didnt spend the last year talking about the players not all being bought in I think the situation would be different.
Blast can speak for for himself, but for me, if I am ‘bought In’ then there is nothing to worry about. if I am NOT ‘bought in’ then I’ll worry about what everyone else... coach, QB, kicker, cheerleader, former coaches are doing

Wouldn't that depend on how "my boss" handled it? From what came out through other coaches, Dawson agonized over leaving, but he only needed one more year to qualify for the NFL pension, and other Nebraska coaches were telling him that it completely made sense to go. It wasn't some cloak-and-dagger sort of thing. If Frost brings him back, I'd be willing to wager that Frost even told him before he left that there would be a spot waiting for him if he wanted to come back.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back