• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chinander is terrible, imo.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Chin wasn’t all that liked by UCF fans. Even with their winning ways there were calls for him to be replaced.

I love that Frost is loyal but Chin needs to show some progress and fast...and I do think a 3-4 defense can work in the B1G but need a lot more talent and speed...
To be fair, we haven't had a year where every coach was liked by fans. Just watch the game chat. A single 3 and out and our fan base loses it. That's the thing about popular teams, there's a bigger microscope for perfection that quite simply you won't find anywhere.

That type of ignorance is what led to the "a trained monkey can win 9 games at Nebraska" without any thought to the culture that was developed that was allowed to erode over time with entitlement and arrogance. Now we're stuck trying to build back to that. You have to be patient and understand the process and not make hasty decisions. Only with the proper pieces in place can you truly evaluate the ability. Belicheck was fired in Cleveland and is in my opinion the greatest football mind in history. He was an under .500 coach who wasn't given the ability to build his roster the way he wanted and failed, but when given the freedom to do so, has created a dynasty. The jury is out on Chins, but I do think he needs more time to see what he can do/develop when given the ability to do so.

Chinanders total resume
Here is his resume. You tell me if he should be our DC.
Oregon 2014 (OLB) 80th Total D. 30th Scoring D.
Oregon 2015 (OLB) 116th Total D. 115th Scoring D.
UCF 2016 (DC) 39th Total D. 42nd Scoring D.
UCF 2017 (DC) 93rd Total D. 52nd Scoring D.
NU 2018 (DC) 94th Total D. 88th Scoring D.
But he is family...check the wedding photo's.

Yes actually, see 2017 UCF. Very mediocre scoring defense. Very good at creating turnovers and thus a massive + in points margin of victory.

Now, do any of those stats matter if no other scheme can improve the results with this personnel?

And if you believe another scheme works with what we are lacking, please show me :)
I have no scheme answers and am not calling for coaches to be fired at this point. But, the body of work is not looking good so far for Chin. Wins and losses are what matter most to me. 2017 might be the one year that you have a leg to stand on, outside of that I think your reaching a bit. You have made good points about some of our personnel. I just don’t think there’s anything that shows he can for sure get it done yet. An offense like 2017 UCF also makes defense easier when other teams are playing catch up, hence more interceptions etc. There’s so much wrong on so many levels with this team that I have a hard time pointing the finger at one thing or person. One “good” defensive year may be an anomaly. Time will tell and I trust Frost

Last edited:

We cannot set an edge against the run. No EMOL on a lot of plays. Unequal charge by DTs leaves space to run. We don't hold either A gap, so there is no slant package to exploit gaps. The DTs jump the path of least resistance, leaving us open to fold, scissors, and trap blocking of every type. The line doesn't pursue down the heel line. Pursuit is actually all bunched up and doesn't spread out to snare ball carriers. We often have no force or fill roles. The linebackers don't slow play to see cutbacks. Our defenders often shade the wrong shoulder in pursuit.

Our DC can see three quarters of this from the sidelines. He doesn't correct it. He should be in the box so he can really appreciate the substitution game. Again, it's like he is blind to it. The D is just a bad product and no amount of talent fixes bad design.

I’m not saying that nobody would want to come to Nebraska, I was more just thinking that, other than Steele, I don’t know who the readily available candidates with ties to NU or SF would be. IMO it’s easier when a school and a HC have an established coaching tree and Nebraska really hasn’t had an established one to go get guys.
Why on earth would ties to NU or SF be a prerequisite for a DC?

Therein-lies another issue. Our safeties are a converted nickel corner/high school qb who is a true sophmore, and a safety who is a first year starter who is being tasked with getting everyone else lined up. The fact that dismuke is starting is telling in our talent at that spot imo. The fact that you have Eric Lee and 2 walk ons as the depth/backup, is telling of that situation. 2 of Frosts recruits both transferred (transition class etc) so that was an issue and Williams injury hurt, we haven't had the time to develop "their guys" at the position. We will see in a year or two after Farmer, Gates, and others have their chance to physically develop and learn to see how well we can coach them up.
I do hope you’re right

To be fair, we haven't had a year where every coach was liked by fans. Just watch the game chat. A single 3 and out and our fan base loses it. That's the thing about popular teams, there's a bigger microscope for perfection that quite simply you won't find anywhere.

That type of ignorance is what led to the "a trained monkey can win 9 games at Nebraska" without any thought to the culture that was developed that was allowed to erode over time with entitlement and arrogance. Now we're stuck trying to build back to that. You have to be patient and understand the process and not make hasty decisions. Only with the proper pieces in place can you truly evaluate the ability. Belicheck was fired in Cleveland and is in my opinion the greatest football mind in history. He was an under .500 coach who wasn't given the ability to build his roster the way he wanted and failed, but when given the freedom to do so, has created a dynasty. The jury is out on Chins, but I do think he needs more time to see what he can do/develop when given the ability to do so.

Meh.

I live down the street from UCF and there wasn’t much love for Chin as a DC.

I have no scheme answers and am not calling for coaches to be fired at this point. But, the body of work is not looking good so far for Chin. Wins and losses are what matter most to me. 2017 might be the one year that you have a leg to stand on, outside of that I think your reaching a bit. You have made good points about some of our personnel. I just don’t think there’s anything that shows he can for sure get it done yet. An offense like 2017 UCF also makes defense easier when other teams are playing catch up, hence more interceptions etc. There’s so much wrong on so many levels with this team that I have a hard time pointing the finger at one thing or person. One “good” defensive tear may be an anomaly. Time will tell and I trust Frost
I absolutely agree. I'm not anointing Chins as our savior, I just want to see what he can do when we have the pieces in place. Maybe 2017 was an anomoly due to offensive excellence, but I've seen him be successful and I believe we don't have the pieces to see the turnaround (regardless of scheme) that fans are clamoring for. Because of that fact, I'm willing to be patient. Change for the sake of change almost never works in your favor. Once we've had that opportunity I'll have a definitive stand on him as a coach and his ability. (I'll call it 2 years from now, that way they've had 3 full classes, excluding the transition class which is always a crapshoot).

Yeah that fumble wa

I think he was stubborn to change after teams figured him out, laughable to think he did it on purpose. You would have to be a world class pos to purposely put 18-22 yr old kids in position to fail on purpose
Bo ran out of BC talent and then got into a league he couldn't handle at all...he was pretty lucky at winning close games though. I'd like to get some of that luck back...but not the piece.

Meh.

I live down the street from UCF and there wasn’t much love for Chin as a DC.
I've got family down there, so I heard it all before. That being said, they have the same gripes about Heupel as a coach (when they were praising him all last year). Also, they had the same gripes about frosts play calling, while praising chins year 1. Fan bases are fickel and swing by the moment for their evaluations. Shannon (despite being praised as a genius last year) is getting roasted for his inability to adjust (the very thing they praised all last year following their second half defensive dominance most of last season).

Does that mean they can't coach? The jury is still out imo

Yes actually, see 2017 UCF. Very mediocre scoring defense. Very good at creating turnovers and thus a massive + in points margin of victory.

Now, do any of those stats matter if no other scheme can improve the results with this personnel?

And if you believe another scheme works with what we are lacking, please show me :)
So it's OK if you give up 35 points a game as long as your offense scores 50? That certainly equates to a team having a winning record but not what I would chalk up to a great defensive coordinator. There is nothing he has done thus far in his career that would convince me to label him even a good defensive coordinator. The only thing I would give him is that Scott's offense by how it's run puts a strain on his own defense.

So it's OK if you give up 35 points a game as long as your offense scores 50? That certainly equates to a team having a winning record but not what I would chalk up to a great defensive coordinator. There is nothing he has done thus far in his career that would convince me to label him even a good defensive coordinator. The only thing I would give him is that Scott's offense by how it's run puts a strain on his own defense.
Statistically speaking, you're more likely to give up 35 points with a great offense predicated on explosive plays, than you are with a ball control offense that struggles to be explosive. It's very hard to pull from a single data point if something is effective or not because of many factors. How many of those points for the offense were created by turnover opportunities or turnovers themselves. How many of the points surrendered were due to field position/turnovers? A lot goes into that puzzle but regardless, I have seen the system be effective and thus am willing to see if he can develop/get back to what worked for him when given the opportunity to do so. If unable to do so after getting "his guys" and developing them into what he needs, than he is the issue and needs replaced but I'm not going to make that claim until I believe he's been given a fair chance to do so. To this point, I don't believe what he's inherited could be effective in any scheme but I'm open to seeing one that works with no pass rush or edge set from the edge, and obvious coverage deficiencies at 3 of the 4 linebacker positions.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back