• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State puts Urban Meyer on administrative leave

Here is my problem with this whole thing. Seems like so many want to crucify Um or some institution for something someone else did and they automatically call it enabling. How many people who are taking such a high moral ground on this "failure to do enough to report it and stop it" are Catholic? If there has been a single entity across the United States that is so guilty of covering up Sexual abuse with no accountability its the Catholic church. Why aren't we arresting or firing all the Bishops and the Pope? What makes Joe Pa any different than those guys? Why is Urban Meyer even being held to a level that they aren't?

Let me ask you this. The reporter indicated the judge is an OSU grad and a member of the OSU's President's Club; is it plausible the judge could have a potential conflict of interest given the fact that Z. Smith [was] a fairly high profile employee of OSU?

Anything is possible. But that doesn't make it likely or probable just because.

By the same token, take a look at where the judges in Lancaster County, including the appellate judges, went to school.

Here is my problem with this whole thing. Seems like so many want to crucify Um or some institution for something someone else did and they automatically call it enabling. How many people who are taking such a high moral ground on this "failure to do enough to report it and stop it" are Catholic? If there has been a single entity across the United States that is so guilty of covering up Sexual abuse with no accountability its the Catholic church. Why aren't we arresting or firing all the Bishops and the Pope? What makes Joe Pa any different than those guys? Why is Urban Meyer even being held to a level that they aren't?

Again, Urbs is being investigated to determine whether he did (or did not do) something that he was required by both policy and his contract to do. It really has nutt'n to do with what Zach Smith did or didn't do.

Again, Urbs is being investigated to determine whether he did (or did not do) something that he was required by both policy and his contract to do. It really has nutt'n to do with what Zach Smith did or didn't do.
Again..….this is nothing about what he did or didn't do by policy. This is about politics. You don't suspend a successful employee and go on a high level 14 day investigation on an incident that he reported to his boss because he might not have reported to the exact person. The court of public opinion has been all over this board with accusations of him enabling Zack Smith. Ohio State was well aware of everything on this and it only became a suspension when it was made a public showcase to go after the money.

Again..….this is nothing about what he did or didn't do by policy. This is about politics. You don't suspend a successful employee and go on a high level 14 day investigation on an incident that he reported to his boss because he might not have reported to the exact person. The court of public opinion has been all over this board with accusations of him enabling Zack Smith. Ohio State was well aware of everything on this and it only became a suspension when it was made a public showcase to go after the money.

Well, actually, OSU did, and based on the time frame, the investigation started before there was ever any claim known to the public that Urbs reported the issue to the AD.

Serious questions though: Do you expect an employee to be bound to do what both a policy applying to him requires he do? Do you expect that same employee to follow the requirements of a contract and do what it requires him to do?

Where is the Evidence that "Ohio State was well aware of everything on this"? I mean really, if that's the case, then OSU could have come out immediately and said everything was reported, etc. Why didn't OSU?

Whether or not the policy is driven by politics is another question entirely. I've never made any statement about enabling anything, but I don;t understand your apparent unwillingness to recognize that the investigation is about what Urbs did or didn't do, based on what he was required to. You keep coming back to punishing Urbs for what someone else did, and stating that the investigation has nutt'n to do with Urbs' actions. Both statements ignore the policy and the purpose of the investigation...what Urbs did or didn't do. It really has nutt'n to do with what Zach Smith did or didn't do. You don;t seem to get that.

Why aren't we arresting or firing all the Bishops and the Pope?

1. "We" can't fire them. That's the catholic church's place. Of course, they were covering up FOR the catholic church at the church's request/demand...so they aren't getting fired.

2. If they covered up crimes they absolutely should have been arrested. Shameful that they were not.

UM can still be fired for cause.

A USA TODAY Sports review of Meyer's contract found there would be other grounds to fire him for cause even if he did what was required in terms of reporting – if Ohio State has the stomach for it. One provision allows him to be fired for “fraud or dishonesty … in the course of his duties or responsibilities.” When Meyer was asked at Big Ten media day about his knowledge of the 2015 allegations, he lied repeatedly.

Another clause allows for his firing if he behaves in a way that reflects “unfavorably upon Ohio State’s reputation and overall primary mission and objectives.” Still another says he can be fired for failing to “perform his duties and personally comport himself at all times in a manner consistent with good sportsmanship and with the high moral, ethical and academic standards of Ohio State and its Department of Athletics.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-urban-meyer-didnt-do-whats-right/934729002/

I wonder if there is a difference between having "grounds for firing" and a mandate to fire him? I'm not a lawyer so I don't know, but it would seem that "grounds for firing" would leave them with latitude to decide rather than it being an absolute fireable offense. It's obvious he lied at B1G media days as he admitted it. I imagine it will be up to the University, and my guess would be they keep him because he's winning. If this were a coach with a near 50-50 record I'm sure they'd cut their losses.

It really has nutt'n to do with what Zach Smith did or didn't do. You don;t seem to get that.
I don't think you get that it has everything to do with what Zack Smith did.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back