• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State puts Urban Meyer on administrative leave

I don't think you get that it has everything to do with what Zack Smith did.

This explains a lot.

You simply don't have a good grasp of what the issues are as it relates to Urbs, and that problem affects the rest of your analysis. When you start an analysis on the wrong premise, the entire analysis becomes inaccurate.

So, who really believes Urban is getting fired?

While I do think Urban should be fired based on the information that's been available, I have a feeling someone else (possibly his wife) will get let go and Urban will receive a suspension. Putting a timeline on the investigation allows tOSU time to find a convenient scapegoat, and figure out enough technicalities that will allow Urban to stay. Add to that making a Friday announcement (which is commonly referred to as a "news dump" day) leads me to believe tOSU is hoping the news cycle will lose interest over the weekend. With the season being just two weeks away, they'll hope focus will shift from off-the-field issues to the upcoming season. Urban will be suspended for a long enough period of time (probably 4 games) so that when he comes back the media will have moved on and focus attention to in-season news stories.

While I do think Urban should be fired based on the information that's been available, I have a feeling someone else (possibly his wife) will get let go and Urban will receive a suspension. Putting a timeline on the investigation allows tOSU time to find a convenient scapegoat, and figure out enough technicalities that will allow Urban to stay. Add to that making a Friday announcement (which is commonly referred to as a "news dump" day) leads me to believe tOSU is hoping the news cycle will lose interest over the weekend. With the season being just two weeks away, they'll hope focus will shift from off-the-field issues to the upcoming season. Urban will be suspended for a long enough period of time (probably 4 games) so that when he comes back the media will have moved on and focus attention to in-season news stories.
That's the way I'm thinking it will go.

What information is available that says he deserves being fired? Did you support firing Mike Riley over the DUI incident with Keith Williams? He was certainly aware of the two previous incidents and enabled him by letting him use a University car and drink while doing work related events. DUI has just a strong possibility of injuring or killing someone as accusations of abuse does.

What information is available that says he deserves being fired? Did you support firing Mike Riley over the DUI incident with Keith Williams? He was certainly aware of the two previous incidents and enabled him by letting him use a University car and drink while doing work related events. DUI has just a strong possibility of injuring or killing someone as accusations of abuse does.

This made me laugh. While there is certainly a good chance a drunk driver could injure someone, there is a 100% certainly that someone being physically abused is being injured. Let's not conflate the two in this instance.

Also, was DUI reporting in Riley's contract?

If Urb's failed to report the matter he's probably fired. If he did report it properly, the AD and/or president is probably gone for not requiring that the coach be fired immediately.

You're not focused on the correct things here. It's not Smith's actions that matter, it's Urban's actions (or the AD's if it was reported).

Urban Meyer is a Mandatory Reporter in accordance to Title IX regulations.

What is the purpose of a mandatory reporter?
Through your knowledge and application of University policy and state laws, you play an important role in:
  • Protecting students, faculty and staff from incidents of sexual violence.
  • Supporting sexual assault survivors.
  • Helping the University maintain a safe environment by striving to eliminate, prevent, and address discrimination on the basis of sex, including sexual violence.
https://www.purdue.edu/titleix/complianceGuide/index.html (First link I found when Googling "Title IX Mandatory Reporting")

That means, if he finds any information in regards to sexual violence (assault, rape) committed by students, faculty or staff at tOSU, he has to report that to his school's Title IX rep immediately. Not when it's convenient for him. Otherwise, he's breaking a federal law. We know that Urban Meyer's wife knew about Smith's assault in 2015 and said she would have to relay that info to Urban. Urban allowed Smith to stay on staff until July of 2018. So, either Mrs. Meyer was lying, and never told Urban about the incident, or Mrs. Meyer did tell Urban, but Urban decided to brush the incident under the rug, and hope nothing would come of it. So, while I believe there's no way in the world Mrs. Meyer didn't tell Urban (which would mean Urban had an obligation to report Smith and likely result in Smith being fired in 2015), there is enough wiggle room and plausible deniability for Urban to skate clean, and Mrs. Meyer (and possibly the Title IX rep at tOSU) to get fired.

You're comparing apples to oranges with Williams' DUI. While a DUI is a serious offense, there's no federal regulations placed on colleges for sending DUI offenses up the chain of command.

We're supposed to learn of UMs fate by Sunday or Monday, right?

Consensus seems to have gone from it being a foregone conclusion that he is gone to him most likely getting a short suspension.

Urban Meyer is a Mandatory Reporter in accordance to Title IX regulations.

https://www.purdue.edu/titleix/complianceGuide/index.html (First link I found when Googling "Title IX Mandatory Reporting")

That means, if he finds any information in regards to sexual violence (assault, rape) committed by students, faculty or staff at tOSU, he has to report that to his school's Title IX rep immediately. Not when it's convenient for him. Otherwise, he's breaking a federal law. We know that Urban Meyer's wife knew about Smith's assault in 2015 and said she would have to relay that info to Urban. Urban allowed Smith to stay on staff until July of 2018. So, either Mrs. Meyer was lying, and never told Urban about the incident, or Mrs. Meyer did tell Urban, but Urban decided to brush the incident under the rug, and hope nothing would come of it. So, while I believe there's no way in the world Mrs. Meyer didn't tell Urban (which would mean Urban had an obligation to report Smith and likely result in Smith being fired in 2015), there is enough wiggle room and plausible deniability for Urban to skate clean, and Mrs. Meyer (and possibly the Title IX rep at tOSU) to get fired.

You're comparing apples to oranges with Williams' DUI. While a DUI is a serious offense, there's no federal regulations placed on colleges for sending DUI offenses up the chain of command.
He reported it to his boss. The responsibility towards reporting it is qurstionable as federal title IX doesn't cover non sexual assault and even then primary reporting responsibility should have fell on his wife.

He reported it to his boss. The responsibility towards reporting it is qurstionable as federal title IX doesn't cover non sexual assault and even then primary reporting responsibility should have fell on his wife.

The problem is, Urban has contradicted himself on his reporting of the 2015 incident. He said at the B1G Media Day that the 2015 incident was essentially a non-story.
In 2015, I got a text late last night that something happened in 2015, and there was nothing — unless, once again, there’s nothing — once again, I don’t know who creates a story like that.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/23/17602674/ohio-state-zach-smith-fired-urban-meyer

Smith was fired because he was arrested for stalking his ex-wife, not because of the 2015 incident. The public would likely have never known of the 2015 incident had Smith not been arrested and fired.

Urban came out later and said that he did report the 2015 situation, but why should we believe Urban now? He's shown that he'll lie to make himself look better.

Your response is the reason why he WON'T get fired. There's just enough evidence for tOSU to find another scapegoat. However, at the end of the day, Urban looked the other way when one of his assistants beat his wife, and did almost everything he could (by doing the bare minimum in his job capacity) to make sure the story never came to light. Just the person you (tOSU) want as the face of your institution.

Last edited:
We're supposed to learn of UMs fate by Sunday or Monday, right?

Consensus seems to have gone from it being a foregone conclusion that he is gone to him most likely getting a short suspension.

He'll be suspended for the games against Midvale School for the Blind Sisters and back in time to go to Happy Valley

The problem is, Urban has contradicted himself on his reporting of the 2015 incident. He said at the B1G Media Day that the 2015 incident was essentially a non-story.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/23/17602674/ohio-state-zach-smith-fired-urban-meyer

Smith was fired because he was arrested for stalking his ex-wife, not because of the 2015 incident. The public would likely have never known of the 2015 incident had Smith not been arrested and fired.

Urban came out later and said that he did report the 2015 situation, but why should we believe Urban now? He's shown that he'll lie to make himself look better.

Your response is the reason why he WON'T get fired. There's just enough evidence for tOSU to find another scapegoat. However, at the end of the day, Urban looked the other way when one of his assistants beat his wife, and did almost everything he could (by doing the bare minimum in his job capacity) to make sure the story never came to light. Just the person you (tOSU) want as the face of your institution.
He did not look the other way and you are making an assumption on the beating. Evidently the police were called 9 times and found no evidence to arrest him. The overall level of reasonableness for what he has done in this case relative to how Mike Riley was with his handling of a rape case and the DUI of Keith Williams seems over the top. My point will always be the same. If this is the direction the world is going when will Scott Frost get caught not doing "enough". Will the Ron Brown hire end up costing us our head coach because he knew about the Ron Brown controversy and hired him anyway?

This made me laugh. While there is certainly a good chance a drunk driver could injure someone, there is a 100% certainly that someone being physically abused is being injured. Let's not conflate the two in this instance.

Also, was DUI reporting in Riley's contract?

If Urb's failed to report the matter he's probably fired. If he did report it properly, the AD and/or president is probably gone for not requiring that the coach be fired immediately.

You're not focused on the correct things here. It's not Smith's actions that matter, it's Urban's actions (or the AD's if it was reported).

Good luck.

Maybe this is why the Police, the University and Urban Meyer failed to act on the ALLEGATIONS. This is from Courtney's mom.

In June or July of 2015 after they got separated, we all were at my condo and Zach was picking up or dropping off the kids,” she explained. “Courtney got mad about something, she then got into her car and she deliberately tried to run him over with her car. Zach had to jump out of the way and I thought she actually had run him over.

She hit him often. She would start hitting him just to start a fight. He would have to grab her arms tight to get control of her.

Carano also said her daughter “has been verbally abusive to me and my 84-year-old mother, her grandmother. “I came up in May to help her and we got into an argument with my mother there. She then called me every name in the book, then turned on my mother and then kicked me and my mother out of her house. We both have helped her so much throughout her life. My mom helped her with her student loans, cooked for her and the kids, did her laundry. And who kicks their grandmother, 84 years old, out of their house like that? She just gets out of control when she drinks.”

As far as her own texts she supposedly sent to Zach Smith in 2015, which McMurphy published, she said she doesn’t remember sending them. “If they are real, and they do exist, I cannot honestly remember it,” she said. “If I did it, and I am not sure I did it, I think I told (Zach) not to touch her and the arguing has got to stop … something just so those two would stop fighting and stop arguing.

I wouldn’t just go around making stuff up about my own daughter. If someone asks about my motive for speaking out this way against my own daughter, it’s that I really think she needs professional help. I hope she reads this and gets that help

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back