• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bob Diaco to be named new Defensive Coordinator

Seems like a decent hire. I'm curious if Nebraska missed out on anyone by waiting to fire banker so late. I think Diaco is a good hire, but I wonder why they waited so long to can Banker (as opposed to firing him after the Iowa game).

That's probably my biggest personal question mark. Seems like a better fit so far as recruiting goes would be a coach with ties from the Midwest, Plains, or West Coast.

But maybe we have a hole in recruiting the East Coast?
We literally brought in zero DBs from the east coast/New Jersey area with Stewarts connections, unless Tony Butler from Ohio counts. I guess a midwest/radius guy would be my preference before we go replace a recruiting area that has brought us zero people at that position since the staff has been here.

Agree, good to get another area. And I feel like i'm whining but at some point a guy with connections in our radius would be nice. We still have some slots to fill tho so maybe we will.

Not sure I can speak to the connections he still has but this is his history, so I figure he might be somewhat familiar with the Midwest:

1992–1995 Linebacker at Iowa
1996–1997 Iowa (GA)
1999–2000 Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001 Eastern Michigan (RB/ST)
2002 Eastern Michigan (LB/ST)
2003 Eastern Michigan (OLB/ST)
2004 Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005 Central Michigan (co-DC/LB)

2006–2008 Virginia (LB/ST)
2009 Cincinnati (DC/ILB)
2010 Notre Dame (DC/ILB)
2011 Notre Dame (DC/LB)
2012–2013 Notre Dame (AHC/DC/LB)

2014–2016 Connecticut

That's quite a bit of time in the middle of the country or close to it.

Seems like a decent hire. I'm curious if Nebraska missed out on anyone by waiting to fire banker so late. I think Diaco is a good hire, but I wonder why they waited so long to can Banker (as opposed to firing him after the Iowa game).

I'm thinking he was the best unemployed candidate north of Gus?

Supposedly Arkansas was strongly rumored to be going after Diaco as DC.

According to Sean Callahan on KFAB this morning, at Arkansas he would have been a co-coordinator, and the other guy supposedly has a very strong personality. Not as good a situation as he gets here in Lincoln.

Not sure I can speak to the connections he still has but this is his history, so I figure he might be somewhat familiar with the Midwest:

1992–1995 Linebacker at Iowa
1996–1997 Iowa (GA)
1999–2000 Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001 Eastern Michigan (RB/ST)
2002 Eastern Michigan (LB/ST)
2003 Eastern Michigan (OLB/ST)
2004 Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005 Central Michigan (co-DC/LB)

2006–2008 Virginia (LB/ST)
2009 Cincinnati (DC/ILB)
2010 Notre Dame (DC/ILB)
2011 Notre Dame (DC/LB)
2012–2013 Notre Dame (AHC/DC/LB)

2014–2016 Connecticut

That's quite a bit of time in the middle of the country or close to it.
kHaO6UoYcoC3K.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back