• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate QB help

That's not necessarily true. It's easier to get good quickly if you can get a dynamic dual threat QB than it is going with the traditional, drop back passer. Take NU out of this discussion for a second. Without the dynamic ability of Mariota or Darron Thomas, they are just enough solid program, and clearly are not on the level of talent of the top programs in the country. Without Lamar Jackson, where is Louisville this year? An average team at best, probably, as evidenced by the results when he had substandard games. A great dual threat can lift the rest of your team up, especially if the team has average talent, as opposed to a drop back passer. The problem, as others have stated, is NU hasn't gotten that great dual threat QB.
The question becomes....can you get those guys. and neither solich nor Pelini was able to ever get a decent DUAL threat QB on campus

It is 100% a fact that we will not get the same athletes that Alabama, Michigan and USC get on a regular basis...
That is true whether we go with a drop back qb or whether we go with qb's like Martinez and Armstrong who can basically only run (don't call them dual threat because they really aren't) . so get me a qb that can throw the ball. running backs that can run the ball and wr's thst can catch the ball.

So I guess since his team is currently 7th in the country in scoring defense that he must have inherited all that stockpiled Penguin talent...

Penguins have not been to playoffs in 10 years but are now favorites to reach the FCS semifinals... But old Bo... he is just lucky...

Well find out in year 4 and 5. The group Bo inherited at NU didn't have a good record, but they were far from being devoid of talent. Who's to say that Bo's current bunch of Penguini's isn't in the same situation? Like I said, time will tell. That is, of course, unless several upper echelon P5 schools come pounding on his door and swoop him up before he gets to year 4 or 5.

Wait, are you saying we had good ball security? I'd have to disagree as our QB lead all of D1 football in turnovers on back to back seasons if I'm not mistaken. We may have been able to score points, but we handed over almost as many via turnovers. TA wasn't exactly Captain Careful with the ball either. IN both cases we were taking guys who were primarily runners and trying to mix in more passing to balance the offense. In both cases that was our downfall because they lacked accuracy and a feel for the checkdown.

If you take a guy like POB or Gebbia, who aren't amazing athletes, but are good athletes and have them use their passing skills to create some opportunity to advance the ball with their legs to keep a defense honest. That's not that hard to do as we've seen so many times over the last several years. Yes, we, like all teams struggle when facing an elite running QB, but we've also had issues when a good passer takes off to continue to pick up first downs with his legs, and it's probably even more frustrating.

I'm not saying our ball security has been great. I'm saying it hasn't been that far outside the norm. We've been a little worse than average in giveaways since 2010. We've been well below average in takeaways during that same period. It's the turnover MARGIN that has hurt. Sure, we could have been more careful with the ball, but we definitely could have been better in creating turnovers on defense to help offset that. There are a lot of very good teams that turn the ball over at a similar clip, but their defenses create more turnovers. We either need to protect the ball a little better, or get a LOT better at creating turnovers. Or both... that would be great. Also important to keep in mind that it isn't just on the quarterback. The whole team has to get better.

I'm not saying our ball security has been great. I'm saying it hasn't been that far outside the norm. We've been a little worse than average in giveaways since 2010. We've been well below average in takeaways during that same period. It's the turnover MARGIN that has hurt. Sure, we could have been more careful with the ball, but we definitely could have been better in creating turnovers on defense to help offset that. There are a lot of very good teams that turn the ball over at a similar clip, but their defenses create more turnovers. We either need to protect the ball a little better, or get a LOT better at creating turnovers. Or both... that would be great. Also important to keep in mind that it isn't just on the quarterback. The whole team has to get better.

While it's true it isn't all on the QB, if you're saying our ball security hasn't been great, and we only fumbled 4 times all year, you do have to look close at the other places you turned the ball over.

I almost landed Kate Upton.

Practically no hourglass figure. Probably transgender surgery. Call Caitlyn. :eek: ;)

kate-upton-height-weight-measurements.jpg
bruce-jenner-vanity-fair-caitlyn-transgender.jpg

Last edited:

The thread title is about the QB. I would suggest that Nebraska play over the last 8 years would be much higher had we had a better Quarterback. Our QB play has been average at best. Perhaps in the future, we will see better play and competition, along with more wins and conference titles. There is a reason the QB's are protected.

The thread title is about the QB. I would suggest that Nebraska play over the last 8 years would be much higher had we had a better Quarterback. Our QB play has been average at best. Perhaps in the future, we will see better play and competition, along with more wins and conference titles. There is a reason the QB's are protected.
I suppose. I'm thinking we've had bigger deficiencies elsewhere. And believe me, I was no cheerleader for Martinez.

Statistically.... Our average national rank in turnovers lost, 2010-2016 is 79th. Turnovers gained is 71st.

Turnovers Lost (2012 through 2015 was really bad):

upload_2016-12-10_1-30-0.png

Turnovers Gained:

upload_2016-12-10_1-32-23.png

That's not necessarily true. It's easier to get good quickly if you can get a dynamic dual threat QB than it is going with the traditional, drop back passer. Take NU out of this discussion for a second. Without the dynamic ability of Mariota or Darron Thomas, they are just enough solid program, and clearly are not on the level of talent of the top programs in the country. Without Lamar Jackson, where is Louisville this year? An average team at best, probably, as evidenced by the results when he had substandard games. A great dual threat can lift the rest of your team up, especially if the team has average talent, as opposed to a drop back passer. The problem, as others have stated, is NU hasn't gotten that great dual threat QB.

That is an interesting conclusion (bolded). Do you have some data or specifics to prove that offenses are more likely to experience success faster with a dual threat versus drop back QB? I'm not to saying it is or isn't true, just that I haven't seen the evidence over time to support that claim. I seem to recall some quick turnarounds at places like USC, Alabama, and Michigan with drop back passers, but again, I don't have the data to compare and make a confident conclusion.

That is an interesting conclusion (bolded). Do you have some data or specifics to prove that offenses are more likely to experience success faster with a dual threat versus drop back QB? I'm not to saying it is or isn't true, just that I haven't seen the evidence over time to support that claim. I seem to recall some quick turnarounds at places like USC, Alabama, and Michigan with drop back passers, but again, I don't have the data to compare and make a confident conclusion.

When you have a QB by the name of Jameis Winston, Vince Young, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Cam Newton, RG3, etc... then yes success is faster. Finding a true dual threat QB that has NFL talent is a game changer. Trick is finding that guy and getting him to attend NU.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back