• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate QB help

HH has to be just arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point. He doesn't even appear to be trying to make sense. He discounts 10-3 Wisconsin, with narrow losses to three top ten teams, to argue that we should be more like 9-3 Louisville, with losses to Vanderbilt and Houston.
That's gonna leave a mark.

No real dog in this particular fight, but weren't most of those losses due to defensive breakdowns? Sure, turnovers led to points, but as a team we haven't really turned the ball over more than average... we've just been poor at creating turnovers from our opponents.

Wait, are you saying we had good ball security? I'd have to disagree as our QB lead all of D1 football in turnovers on back to back seasons if I'm not mistaken. We may have been able to score points, but we handed over almost as many via turnovers. TA wasn't exactly Captain Careful with the ball either. IN both cases we were taking guys who were primarily runners and trying to mix in more passing to balance the offense. In both cases that was our downfall because they lacked accuracy and a feel for the checkdown.

If you take a guy like POB or Gebbia, who aren't amazing athletes, but are good athletes and have them use their passing skills to create some opportunity to advance the ball with their legs to keep a defense honest. That's not that hard to do as we've seen so many times over the last several years. Yes, we, like all teams struggle when facing an elite running QB, but we've also had issues when a good passer takes off to continue to pick up first downs with his legs, and it's probably even more frustrating.

Actually finding a top notch dual threat QB has nothing to do with the NFL, you're not competing with them.

Every college today wants that top notch dual threat QB, so we have to compete with them all. What makes us special, what makes us different. Back when we were getting top notch dual threat QBs we were different, different in the fact no one else wanted a dual threat QB. Today the reverse is true. Today it is easier to get a good pro style QB because the competition from other colleges isn't as great.

So you are saying that other colleges have switched the QB they are looking for in part, due to the success NU had with dual threat QBs? Sounds like a great reason for NU to switch to a pass first QB. Especially since there are so many to be found in the Midwest, where the wind blows and games are played in cold weather. How did Carr look last night?

As to the bolded, I was referencing NFL type talent at the QB position, just like t the original post did.

Pro-STYLE...not pro, necessarily. You can have a very good "pro-style" QB in college that doesn't necessarily translate to great NFL QB or first round pick.

Finding a Lamar Jackson is SO much harder than finding a Wilton Speight ("only" 3 star on 247). And when you do think you have found one...often they end up not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with Speight...has he proven he can hit the broad side of a barn?

So you are saying that other colleges have switched the QB they are looking for in part, due to the success NU had with dual threat QBs? Sounds like a great reason for NU to switch to a pass first QB. Especially since there are so many to be found in the Midwest, where the wind blows and games are played in cold weather. How did Carr look last night?

As to the bolded, I was referencing NFL type talent at the QB position, just like t the original post did.

No I'm saying popular offenses change. Haven't seen the wishbone in a while.

I'm saying in the 80s and 90s, we had an easier time picking up the kind of QB we wanted because everyone else was looking for something different. We didn't have to compete with Louisville, or Houston, or many other colleges we'd have to compete with today for a dual threat QB.

It is 100% a fact that we will not get the same athletes that Alabama, Michigan and USC get on a regular basis...
Your contention was we couldn't get athletes to run that type of offense on a regular basis. We couldn't get the kind of athletes those teams get on a regular basis if we ran any type of offense, so your point really isn't relevent.

I don't think we're going down the wrong path. Any offense can work with the right pieces. I don't know about Lee, but POB isn't a statue. Gebbia is fairly mobile too. Pro style offenses can be just as effective running as passing. It's a real treat to watch when really working at it's best. I think Riley and Langsdorf have that potential in mind here for Nebraska.

Your contention was we couldn't get athletes to run that type of offense on a regular basis. We couldn't get the kind of athletes those teams get on a regular basis if we ran any type of offense, so your point really isn't relevent.

That's not necessarily true. It's easier to get good quickly if you can get a dynamic dual threat QB than it is going with the traditional, drop back passer. Take NU out of this discussion for a second. Without the dynamic ability of Mariota or Darron Thomas, they are just enough solid program, and clearly are not on the level of talent of the top programs in the country. Without Lamar Jackson, where is Louisville this year? An average team at best, probably, as evidenced by the results when he had substandard games. A great dual threat can lift the rest of your team up, especially if the team has average talent, as opposed to a drop back passer. The problem, as others have stated, is NU hasn't gotten that great dual threat QB.

You mean the guy who just suffered a double dislocation of his pinky on his throwing hand? That is a weak example considering Alex Smith was throwing it fine in the first half.

C

HH has to be just arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point. He doesn't even appear to be trying to make sense. He discounts 10-3 Wisconsin, with narrow losses to three top ten teams, to argue that we should be more like 9-3 Louisville, with losses to Vanderbilt and Houston.

Don't forget they didn't even need OT to beat Georgia St. by 2 field goals.

No one really knows what we have at QB once Tommy is gone. The Riley Langsdorf system looks like it needs someone who can pass well. It can't hurt to add one more.

I think of a QB being able to run as a nice to have, but not a must have. The QB must absolutely be able to pass well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back