• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate QB help

You bet. Great pro style quarterbacks are a dime a dozen. Almost every high school across the country has one. They're coming out of the woodwork! All Nebraska has to do is grab one, plug one in, and start winning NCs.
"Great" wasn't a great choice of words nor is greatness necessary. settle for "good". yes a good qb "pro style" qb is way easier to find than a Jackson or watson. and waaaay easier for NU to recruit....as has been shown the last 9 years.

We just spent most of Bo's tenure trying to win games with the QB run game...and getting thumped by Wisconsin repeatedly even when we had a healthy Taylor Martinez. We didn't sniff the top 5 and the only year we almost cracked the top 10, it was on the back of the best DT since Rich Glover.

NU needs to win the west (which means beating Wiscy and Iowa) before it can think about winning titles or top 5 finishes.
No real dog in this particular fight, but weren't most of those losses due to defensive breakdowns? Sure, turnovers led to points, but as a team we haven't really turned the ball over more than average... we've just been poor at creating turnovers from our opponents.

You bet. Great pro style quarterbacks are a dime a dozen. Almost every high school across the country has one. They're coming out of the woodwork! All Nebraska has to do is grab one, plug one in, and start winning NCs.
Harrison Beck approves this message.

No real dog in this particular fight, but weren't most of those losses due to defensive breakdowns? Sure, turnovers led to points, but as a team we haven't really turned the ball over more than average... we've just been poor at creating turnovers from our opponents.

But, but, but how can that be? I thought Bo was a defensive guru? Oh wait, that's right, he's a defensive guru when he walks into situations where the cupboards are already stocked.

Many kids are taking college credits in HS nowadays...and not just a few credits, sometimes the show up to college as a "near" sophomore credit-wise.

And you've made it quite clear you don't want any of those kids anywhere near Lincoln. Enough with the academics! Am I right?

I will say this again... Nebraska is headed down the wrong path offensively if we are not going to incorporate the QB run with an athletic QB.. outside of Michigan, USC and currently Washington (for an immediate example)..... nobody runs a strictly pro-style offense with a national title level success... Heck even Alabama went dual threat this year... LSU fired their coach because his pro-style run heavy offense could not produce enough points... (look back at that Alabama game where their D played astoudning)

Nebraska will not and can not get the type of athletes in here (like Michigan, USC and Alabama) that will run a pro style and compete for a national title unless we have a top defense in the country... That is not a defeatest attitidue... it is just a fact.
Not a fact. Not really even a likelihood.

Wisconsin has definitively established that you need a dual threat QB in order to have a potent rushing offense. I mean, Hornibrook, Houston, Stave, those guys are freaking dynamic runners.

I think what guys miss is you don't need dynamic, you need guys who are smart enough to tuck and pick up 7 yards when its there and get to the ground. That's the kind of thing that used to drive us all crazy when we'd see a great defensive series get screwed up by some marginal athlete beating us with his legs...or more accurately, head.

But, but, but how can that be? I thought Bo was a defensive guru? Oh wait, that's right, he's a defensive guru when he walks into situations where the cupboards are already stocked.

So I guess since his team is currently 7th in the country in scoring defense that he must have inherited all that stockpiled Penguin talent...

Penguins have not been to playoffs in 10 years but are now favorites to reach the FCS semifinals... But old Bo... he is just lucky...

Last edited:
So I guess since his team is currently 7th in the country in scoring defense that he must have inherited all that stockpiled Penguin talent...

Penguins have not been to playoffs in 10 years but are now favorites to reach the FCS semifinals... But old Bo... he is just lucky...

I agree that Pelini is doing well at YSU, and I'm happy for him. But, you can't compare the level of talent at that level to FBS. He was good when he has the talent, but he wasn't as good at discovering the talent, identifying talent that is a good fit for the program/coaching style, recruiting the talent, or keeping the talent in the program. I think he'll do very well at YSU because there isn't as much of an emphasis on recruiting (or at least not as much of competition for the level of talent they work with).

But let's not forget much of that Penguin talent left at the end of last year, and do we really want to talk about how that same talent did in 2015.

Might just be 7th in the country is scoring defense may be a better sign of coaching then talent.

People gloss over that we beat Wisconsin (the only time we have) with Taylor at the helm... 2012

I agree that Pelini is doing well at YSU, and I'm happy for him. But, you can't compare the level of talent at that level to FBS. He was good when he has the talent, but he wasn't as good at discovering the talent, identifying talent that is a good fit for the program/coaching style, recruiting the talent, or keeping the talent in the program. I think he'll do very well at YSU because there isn't as much of an emphasis on recruiting (or at least not as much of competition for the level of talent they work with).
You mean talent from a conference that has produced teams that beat teams we dont always beat? The Valley is every bit on par with Conf USA... heck they might even have 5 teams that would finish in the upper tiers of the AAC

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back