• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate QB help

Where do you get that I want Bo running the show?

People mistake my disdain for a pro-style offense as a dislike of what Riley has done... I am very happy with the progress but I think a pro-style offense is a dead end if we want to be back in the top 5...

And that was not a slight on Wisconsin... I am just saying I never once felt like they had what it takes to win a national title... We should not settle...

We just spent most of Bo's tenure trying to win games with the QB run game...and getting thumped by Wisconsin repeatedly even when we had a healthy Taylor Martinez. We didn't sniff the top 5 and the only year we almost cracked the top 10, it was on the back of the best DT since Rich Glover.

NU needs to win the west (which means beating Wiscy and Iowa) before it can think about winning titles or top 5 finishes.

Wisconsin has been in 4 of the last 5 Big Ten title games and has 2 Big Ten championships in the same time frame. If it's 11-1 or 12-0 or bust, I'm absolutely mystified that you are one of the few posters left who still wants Bo running the show at NU.

HH has to be just arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point. He doesn't even appear to be trying to make sense. He discounts 10-3 Wisconsin, with narrow losses to three top ten teams, to argue that we should be more like 9-3 Louisville, with losses to Vanderbilt and Houston.

And they lost to Nebraska who had a dual threat QB...

And they got mauled by a team with superior talent when they tried to the play "tough defense, ball control offense, minimize mistakes" approach.

Tommy Armstrong isn't and never was a "dual threat." Solid runner, great competitor, but not a threat to pass. Also, Armstrong had 7 carries for 19 yards in that game.

Still hoping for a "tri-threat"...need a quick kick threat from time to time.

Xgr0g.gif

C

Last edited:
s

You completely misinterpreted my statement...

What I have been trying to state in all these posts... ACROSS THE BOARD... Nebraska is not going to get the ahtletes that are 100% sure fire pros at each position like USC, Michigan and Alabama... These teams can run a pro-set offense because they are better at skilled positions AND in the trenches... What can make you the wild card is having a team that has a difference maker at the QB spot... that to me is a guy that can run when the play breaks down... or even offer a threat that keeps defenses honest...

Wisconsin was mentioned... you know what was different about this years Wisconsin? Their defense... it was awesome... Their offense would have been much better served to have Russel Wilson at the helm... we can all agree on this. Nerbaska to win big with this offense that we will see next year... needs a top 5 in the country defense.

Nebraska needs a difference maker at the QB spot... We need a Lamar Jackson or a DeShaun Watson... because we are going to be a rung below at the other positions for the most part... I am afraid that is just the facts...

They also would have been much better served with Andrew Luck at the helm. Or Tom Brady. Or Derek Carr. Yes, we can all agree that an NFL QB would have made Wisconsin better, regardless of the type of offense they run. :Facepalm:

Worst final type 4 team I have ever seen. Alabama proved it with a shutout of them. Smoke and mirrors they've been w a few good breaks.
Which goes back to my original response to HH. Define "compete" for a national title. That vague definition allows you to be right about NOT competing right up to the point where you actually win it. "Ahhh...MSU didn't compete for a national title because they got spanked"....nevermind the fact that if you are IN the playoffs you are, by definition, competing for a national title.

So...the only way HH can be proven wrong is by actually winning a national title. And he knows that's a tall order for any coach at Nebraska. (or anywhere else for that matter)

Which goes back to my original response to HH. Define "compete" for a national title. That vague definition allows you to be right about NOT competing right up to the point where you actually win it. "Ahhh...MSU didn't compete for a national title because they got spanked"....nevermind the fact that if you are IN the playoffs you are, by definition, competing for a national title.

So...the only way HH can be proven wrong is by actually winning a national title. And he knows that's a tall order for any coach at Nebraska. (or anywhere else for that matter)
No, give them credit for getting in. I've just never thought much of Michigan State. Still don't. Getting in the playoff means something.

7 of the last 10 title teams have been coached by Saban or Meyer. It's safe to say that very few teams are competing for a national title these days.

Yet somehow HH believes that a running QB is the only route to the championship....even though we tried that with Cody Green, Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong and couldn't beat the Wisconsin team that we shouldn't aspire to be because they don't have the running QB we couldn't beat them with. Do I have that right?

Last edited:

Pelini and Beck almost landed Lamar Jackson... did you forget this?

I almost landed Kate Upton.

Martinez was way better thany anyone will credit him... I wish he would have gotten his senior year healthy...

AJ Bush was an afterthought... Lamar Jackson removed Nebraska from his list when Bo got fired.

Silliness. Taylor Martinez would not have started at QB for Alabama, OSU, Michigan, or any other team you are hoping for us to compete with. Let's not get crazy here. Don't tell me we need a top notch dual threat and then talk about how good Martinez was.

Clemson has..

I mean, they have an all ACC tackle who is a sophomore. ESPN described him thusly:

Hyatt was exceptional as a true freshman last year, and he was even better in 2016, anchoring a line that was among the nation’s best at pass protection.

Among the nation's best in pass protection = mediocre? :Confused:

The AP ACC first team offense gives mediocre Clemson even more credit. Their first team includes Hyatt, mentioned above, Clemson's center, and a Clemson jr. guard. Hell, they picked more than half the starters as all ACC first team. Mediocre indeed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back