• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate QB help

Across the board? so if nu had a Lamar Jackson they wouldn't still need top players across the board? where would they be able to get by with more average talent if they had Lamar at qb?

Finding a great "pro style" qb will be infinitely easier than finding a Lamar Jackson.
A "pro style" QB that we get.... will likely not be what Alabama, Michigan, USC, Georgia, Stanford etc get...

But if you find a Lamar Jackson... it 100% covers up a lot of holes that you have...

s

You completely misinterpreted my statement...

What I have been trying to state in all these posts... ACROSS THE BOARD... Nebraska is not going to get the ahtletes that are 100% sure fire pros at each position like USC, Michigan and Alabama... These teams can run a pro-set offense because they are better at skilled positions AND in the trenches... What can make you the wild card is having a team that has a difference maker at the QB spot... that to me is a guy that can run when the play breaks down... or even offer a threat that keeps defenses honest...

Wisconsin was mentioned... you know what was different about this years Wisconsin? Their defense... it was awesome... Their offense would have been much better served to have Russel Wilson at the helm... we can all agree on this. Nerbaska to win big with this offense that we will see next year... needs a top 5 in the country defense.

Nebraska needs a difference maker at the QB spot... We need a Lamar Jackson or a DeShaun Watson... because we are going to be a rung below at the other positions for the most part... I am afraid that is just the facts...

It would be great to have a Wilson, or Watson, or Jackson, but the point is, you say we can't compete across the board with those teams when it comes to recruiting, but you are expecting us to do it at the one position where so few exist. Have you been paying attention to recruiting this year? Look at the number of highly rated WRs we're attracting, and we've done a really good job at getting some highly rated QBs. I agree that we need to step it up on the defensive side of the ball (which seems to have happened this year, and looks to be improving), and our OL needs to improve, but that is true regardless of the type of offense we run. Don't you think it's easier to find the four star guys at QB and WR that would make the MR/DL offense work rather than the diamond at QB that everyone, including Alabama, Ohio State, and others want?

Apologies... I completely misread this quote... " Hurts is the only dual-threat in the top four this year" You mean Bamas depth chart... not the top 4 teams in the country... (i.e. playoffs)

My bad

Yes, sorry about that. I was referring to Alabama's depth chart.

s

You completely misinterpreted my statement...

What I have been trying to state in all these posts... ACROSS THE BOARD... Nebraska is not going to get the ahtletes that are 100% sure fire pros at each position like USC, Michigan and Alabama... These teams can run a pro-set offense because they are better at skilled positions AND in the trenches... What can make you the wild card is having a team that has a difference maker at the QB spot... that to me is a guy that can run when the play breaks down... or even offer a threat that keeps defenses honest...

Wisconsin was mentioned... you know what was different about this years Wisconsin? Their defense... it was awesome... Their offense would have been much better served to have Russel Wilson at the helm... we can all agree on this. Nerbaska to win big with this offense that we will see next year... needs a top 5 in the country defense.

Nebraska needs a difference maker at the QB spot... We need a Lamar Jackson or a DeShaun Watson... because we are going to be a rung below at the other positions for the most part... I am afraid that is just the facts...

Wisconsin's offense would have been better served if they had a future all-pro Super Bowl champion at the helm? Who would have ever guessed.

The point is, Nebraska provided a model for Wisconsin's improvement the last two decades, and now it can return the favor for us. Wisconsin year in and year out has a very solid rushing offense despite, with the one exception you noted, having a generally mediocre pro-style QB in there as game manager. There's no question that Wisconsin's offense could be deadly with a better QB at the helm, guys like Lee or O'Brien or Gebbia. That's what we should aspire to, and Riley is smart enough and experienced enough to build on what Wisconsin has done and make it better.

If you're looking for an example of how a team can be dominant running the ball despite having a pro-style QB, you don't even need to look outside our division -- both Iowa and Wisconsin (as well as Michigan State and Penn State in the West) follow that model, and they've made it to plenty of championship games and Rose Bowls doing so. And generally with recruiting classes that are consistent with what Nebraska does year after year.

Last edited:
Wisconsin's offense would have been better served if they had a future all-pro Super Bowl champion at the helm? Who would have ever guessed.

The point is, Nebraska provided a model for Wisconsin's improvement the last two decades, and now it can return the favor for us. Wisconsin year in and year out has a very solid rushing offense despite, with the one exception you noted, having a generally mediocre pro-style QB in there as game manager. There's no question that Wisconsin's offense could be deadly with a better QB at the helm, guys like Lee or O'Brien or Gebbia. That's what we should aspire to, and Riley is smart enough and experienced enough to build on what Wisconsin has done and make it better.

If you're looking for an example of how a team can be dominant running the ball despite having a pro-style QB, you don't even need to look outside our division -- both Iowa and Wisconsin (as well as Michigan State and Penn State in the West) follow that model, and they've made it to plenty of championship games and Rose Bowls doing so. And generally with recruiting classes that are consistent with what Nebraska does year after year.

When we get offensive line play that the Badgers have been getting for the past 10 years consistently... I will be popping champagne bottles in my man cave...

Last edited:

A "pro style" QB that we get.... will likely not be what Alabama, Michigan, USC, Georgia, Stanford etc get...

But if you find a Lamar Jackson... it 100% covers up a lot of holes that you have...

Gebbia offer list: Alabama, Washington, Miami, Louisville, ASU, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Washington State, Utah and West Virginia.

We just recruited 4 star qb's 2 years in a row. despite trying for solich's and bo's entire tenure for guys like Lamar Jackson we ended up with guys like Lord, Martinez and armstrong. quarterbacks that will get you 9 wins maybe but never threaten for a national title...and never won a conference title.

And AJ Bush....

Last edited:
I see some people don't pay attention to their own teams recruiting. NU has two offers out to "dual-threat" QB's who are much better passers than the last two. A little research before posting can go a long ways.

Of course the idea that NU will only compete for championships with a "dual-threat" QB is preposterous.

C

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back